Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. RonaldNoorhoff Dec 18, 2018

So now that we're almost 3 years beyond blubarb's original post on serial numbers, what's the verdict on production numbers ? What's the lowest / highest number we found ? anyone kept score ?

2. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Dec 18, 2018

Counting the serial numbers on this thread, there are 56

3. RonaldNoorhoff Dec 18, 2018

so how did you get that so quickly ? (you must be real good at how to search through 104 pages of forum posts :) ) do you also have the serial numbers ?

Redbirdsfan70 and The Father like this.
  4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Dec 18, 2018

I just made up that number. Blubarb probably has an accounting of the serials numbers provided.

But everything you can read or study from articles put the number between 1500 and 2000 specimens of the Tintin.

http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-pro-tintin/http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-true-story-about-the-new-speedmaster-racing/http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-pro-racing/https://disqus.com/home/discussion/fratello/speedy_tuesday_omega_speedmaster_pro_tintin/

5. CTS-V Dec 18, 2018

6. smitty190373 Dec 18, 2018

You do alot of that in this thread.

tyrantlizardrex, ATWG and sgrossma like this.
  7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Dec 18, 2018

Hey, just the facts from unreliable sources.

8. blubarb Dec 19, 2018

I must admit I have been a bit slack of late chasing up sellers and buyers for movement numbers, but as of today I have a count of 180 with the lowest in the range being 77.727.1xx and the highest 78.786.3XX. Doesn't really mean much at this stage without full serials. I am still trying to track down early contributors for their full numbers, but many have now been sold on. Early contributors of numbers weren't always comfortable disclosing the full digits. Without a larger more robust sample of complete movement numbers it's all pretty much guess work. Any statisticians among our collectors please contact me. :) Personally, I am still staying with ca. 1500 allowing for any completed dials that had to be destroyed or removed from use when the project collapsed. However, be it 500, 5,000 or 15,000 in production - buy this, or any other watch imho, because you want to own it and wear it. It is a fools errand to buy for future gain but if that gain happens for you (and Rolex owners will know what I mean here) due to supply and demand, desirability, etc., well, good luck to you I say, but still only buy because this is the Omega Speedmaster that sings to you. What do the Greeks say "follow your heart but take your brain with you" :whistling:

Happy hunting.

Edited Dec 20, 2018
  9. xantiagib Dec 19, 2018

Edited Dec 20, 2018
    frazierspa and CTS-V like this.
  10. Mr Curta Dec 19, 2018

1954 is a plausible choice as it was the year that Casterman first published 'Explorers on the Moon' in a collected volume. The rocket first appeared in 1950 in the serialisation of 'Destination Moon' in 'Tintin' magazine. Apologies if this has already been covered.

And please, it is Tintin. Not TinTin, Tin Tin, Tin tin or tintin. :thumbsup:

frazierspa, Lonestar, Pun and 5 others like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 19, 2018

Actually it’s anything but Tintin if you ask the Hergé Foundation :thumbsdown:

jetkins, bent_remy, Pun and 4 others like this.
  12. SpeedyTomorrow Dec 19, 2018

I’m sure this is not new information but locally we have a boutique it’s in King of Prussia.

I stopped in to see if they might have a TinTin hidden away. I met a really knowledgeable guy there who is a service technician and spends a good amount of time at Omega’s facilities in Switzerland. From my understanding this guy was a training technician of some kind. Had a white lab coat on. He actually got to wear a TinTin with an actual Rocket for a few minutes while visiting with some of the executives. Did anyone know that they had one in the vaults with a Rocket? I never realized a Rocket was going to happen.

This Technician stated that when he had asked the executives how many TinTin’s were made they did a little guessing game, he started at 5000. “Nope, lower”. 3000 “Nope, lower”, 2000. “Nope, lower. He then said 1000 and the response was laughter. They wouldn’t state an exact number but it’s lower than many realize. How many? Does anyone know? He said the TinTin was a really big deal internally at the company not only will they never produce another version he said but many of the executives had one in their collections.

This watch never disappoints it seems.

xantiagib, frazierspa, Pun and 5 others like this.
  13. purplehoney1976 Dec 19, 2018

This look like Tintin Rocket building in Taiwan::psy::

14237_894620004.309.N309MJ2H.jpg
  14. Skipper_S Dec 20, 2018

This comment includes everything all of us have to remember. Espessially comments about future price, gain etc. As a collector myself, I buy only watches i feel comfortable and happy wear them or own them. So far, I only sell watches from my collection that find no space at my wrist or I dont like anymore or i can sell with a 100% + profit.
    I dont believe this will be the case of my Tintin but you never know if price reach 5 digit price :).

The supply from Grey Market and watch traders will dry sooner or later. When this happens the supply will be 1-5 pieces with extremely high prices as the collectors will set a price that will not make them regret their desicion selling it.. and this means a 5 digit price.

Buy the way: As a Greek Iam adding the following to blubarb's: ("What do the Greeks say "follow your heart but take your brain with you")

"The principle of wisdom is the knowledge of ignorance"
    by Ancient Greek Philosopher Socrates

Edited Dec 20, 2018
    Pun and purplehoney1976 like this.
  15. SpeedyMcNasty Dec 20, 2018

I frequent the OB in KOP. I think the watchmaker you reference is Danny, really nice guy. I hadn’t heard his Tintin story.

If you want the full story on the Tintin you should read the fratello article.

16. mokofoko One sad panda Dec 20, 2018

Yesterday, a used tintin sold at auction on ebay for $6450. There's been one with a $6900 BIN available, and it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for that one to sell.

17. BLAUGRANA Dec 21, 2018

Two more listed at $9k+ on top of that. I think the auction price (as well as the Crown and Caliber listing) are closer to current market value, but if the above story from that watchmaker is indeed true then I think as they settle more they'll start to move pending the economy.

18. nonono Dec 21, 2018

I recently offloaded 2 Tintins for 6.5kUS a piece. Both were used sets, but complete sets and in great condition. Didn't take too long. About a month to offload both. There was a lot of cautious interest initially, but they sold eventually for a little less than my asking price. I think the Nos ones are more coveted and sell waay faster.

19. subtim Dec 24, 2018

I just acquired a piece in Tokyo from a reseller for 1,000,000 yen which is equivalent to approximately USD$9,000 for a NOS piece.

20. purplehoney1976 Dec 24, 2018

This one sold at Japan watch shop

Screenshot_20181216-063544.jpg