Forums Latest Members

speedy prototype at drcrott

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 16, 2019

Wow. No doubt thanks to Hodinkee. A real Homega that. I hope the buyer doesn’t find this thread. I also hope he never wants to sell...

Cad290 likes this.
  2. Renton Nov 16, 2019

Shocking result to say the least.

In view of the recent announcement of Hodinkee becoming an official Omega retailer, I wonder how much of Hodinkee’s “inaction and silence” over the issue has been attributed to them not wanting to touch on any potential raw nerve. This forum did raise many valid concerns with evidence. In previous scenarios of questionable watches/provenance, Hodinkee did put up a comment or edit to investigate or clarify their position.

The description that “Omega museum did reply with some kind of response” may have resulted in a Hodinkee thinking there had been some official correspondence and hence, did want want to investigate further or chose to close both eyes!

kingsrider likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 16, 2019

This will get messy for the new owner one day. A fool and his money they say :whistling:

oddboy likes this.
  4. Cad290 Nov 16, 2019

For about the same price this buyer could have gotten the blue Soleil dial at Watches if Knightsbridge or the gold 69 speedy made for Adolf Brandle at Ineichen, both of which I wouldn’t mind owning. Instead he got a piece of junk

5. 358finland Nov 16, 2019

The buyer will not pay for the watch; the case will be investigated and may have consequences for the parties involved.

JimJupiter and Cad290 like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 16, 2019

What consequences??? This happens a lot lol.

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  7. Cad290 Nov 16, 2019

That’s a strong first post! Do you know something we don’t? Because I would be interested in hearing more. I don’t know if assembling your own “prototype” from Omega and non-omega parts and then selling it at auction with a generous description legally qualifies as counterfeiting.

kov and eugeneandresson like this.
  8. simonsays Nov 16, 2019

I am glad to hear that the buyer has not parted with his money. Can you give any more details?

Cad290 and Foo2rama like this.
  9. kov Trüffelschwein. Nov 17, 2019

Always curious about members signing in to post a strong statement ::popcorn::

cvalue13 likes this.
  10. 358finland Nov 17, 2019

Please have a little patience. I have requested from Crott the official Omega museum statement and in what way it is “certified”, also who has signed the statement and if the watch was physically inspected at the museum. I cannot see how can anyone certified the authenticity without viewing the watch. The DD has just started, and we have two outcomes:
    1. The watch is 100% authentic, then its nice find for a Speedmaster collector
    2. The watch is a puzzle of parts, then there are consequences
    As soon as I have news will let you know.

JimJupiter and kingsrider like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 17, 2019

eugeneandresson likes this.
  12. rob#1 Nov 17, 2019

::popcorn::

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 17, 2019

@358finland
    If your not the buyer your at least the 5th person I know to request that info. And that’s already been answered as not existing.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 17, 2019

Been done already

Page 2 of this thread

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. simonsays Nov 25, 2019

16. SeanO Nov 27, 2019

At any rate the responsibility with respect to provenance falls upon the buyer not the seller.

If I remember the "old number 1" court case write up.

kov likes this.
  17. kov Trüffelschwein. Nov 28, 2019

Okay, but it doesn't mean the auctioneers are allowed to write any BS to sell. :coffee:

18. Caliber561 Jan 14, 2020

frederico and eugeneandresson like this.
  19. WatchCor Jan 14, 2020

The plot thickens. Did Omega buy this watch from them then? How in the world would that 0001642 movement find its way to a official site photo otherwise?

I all fairness the originality of the 0001642 movement wasn't in doubt but the question was how it ended in that hobgoble of a watch.

I would dare say that If the watch was/is a unicorn prototype and Omega purchased it they wouldn't have separated the movement from the watch. The whole watch would have been put in a glass stand in the Omega museum side.

But anyway, good find and well spotted :thumbsup:

20. ilayd Jan 14, 2020

I have two theories, completely not based on any evidence:
    1. The movement was a prototype, photographed by Omega and eventually sold of/stolen from their premises and then somehow made its rounds to the person who recased it with that "prototype."
    2. A real nice replica of the movement (a fake) using Omega's own photo to make it... hence including the serial number. A theory often mentioned here on the site... where someone can use your SN number and assign it to a fake.

Again, those are not based on any real evidence, and just my musings.

Edit: I rotated the movement (from Omega's site) to be closer to the one posted in the sale ad. That being said, its not tiled at the same angle.

Auction:
    100_49095_5.jpg

Omega:
    Movement Rotated.png

Edited Jan 14, 2020