Forums Latest Members
  1. Strangedream Nov 13, 2019

I always loved nice watches and Speedies in particular. Only now I can finally afford to start a small collection on the cheaper side. The other day I was looking for a Cal. 321 Ref. 105.012 classic Moon watch and to my surprise the price of these skyrocketed over the last couple years. Other sought-after references are also much pricier now.

Why the surge in price now? Would this have anything to do about the emergence of smartwatches and how more people are turning to classic mechanical watches that pack a lot of history?

Capture.PNG
    DaveK likes this.
  2. Wivac Terribly special Nov 13, 2019

Nothing more than 2.5 PSI or you risk the seals.

3. Bugbait Nov 13, 2019

Proliferation of "keeping up with the Jones" due to the expanse of social media (i.e. Instagram) backed by the ever growing consumer credit bubble maybe?

Coupled with the recent 50th anniversary of the moon landing.

SpeedyPhill and Strangedream like this.
  4. Yak1 Nov 13, 2019

that’s a great chart. I second cheap money, people with cash chasing potential “investments”, as well as a return to something more tangible. Personally I switched over to mechanical watches about 9 years ago because I got tired of having so many things to charge and have always been fascinated by mechanical watches. I started with a Tudor Pelagos, but eventually caught the vintage bug (seikos and omegas) thanks to a good friend.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 13, 2019

It’s all Fratello,s fault #speedytuesday

:D:D

6. Strangedream Nov 13, 2019

Makes sense, but cheap money has been around since the early 2010's. I don't intend to resell my watches unless I'm in a dire financial pickle so the way I see it it's definitely not an investment for me. I can relate to your experience, I recently ditched my Apple Watch for a Zenith El Primero. Wearing a mechanical watch gives me so much greater satisfaction than strapping a tiny computer to my wrist.

wristpirate and Yak1 like this.
  7. LeonDeBayonne Nov 13, 2019

A few factors fueled the rise in prices: appetite for real assets as a hedge to zero rate policy, more buyers coming from Asia, new media (Instagram / FB), merchants' / auction houses' / brands' de-facto collusion to entertain the rise (front-running is tolerated in the real asset world). Watch collecting today has little to do with what it was 10 years ago. It's different and it has little to do with connected watches or whatever inventions.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 13, 2019

Pretty much the same for me as it was 10 years ago.
    I look for them, I buy them. ( not as many due to the prices )

There has been changes
    A lot more pseudo dealers
    A lot more buy to flip to fund their hobby
    A lot more people that think watches are a investment
    But there has always been the above three around even 10 years ago

Instagram, media and social media has Increased popularity and it’s the increased popularity which has meant more competition and this has lead to higher prices

ttsp52 likes this.
  9. many Nov 13, 2019

It'd be interesting to see this graph overlayed against other watches. I suspect it's not just the Speedmaster that is spiking in value.

10. Eve Nov 13, 2019

I dont know how long this platform exists, but i find it interseting that up to the end of 2015 there is hardly any deviation from the mean/median value. So probably there were only few pieces listed for sell in the first place. And now the quality might play a big role, therefore the huge price variations.

11. Strangedream Nov 13, 2019

This trend is mostly noticeable for famous references like Nautilus 5711, or Royal Oak 14790ST. Less famous models are still hit by the inflation but not as much.

Nautilus.png AP RO.png
  12. alam Nov 13, 2019

Dennis's theory placed part of the blame on the many OCD lunatics chasing every variant of Speedmaster vintage models they could score..

:)

djmusicman, kov and STANDY like this.
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 13, 2019

Did you mislabel the initial graph? Shouldn't it be "Number of Speedmaster Limited Editions Introduced Each Year"?

14. Duckie Nov 13, 2019

Surely it can't be a manifestation of OCD?

If so, then these OCD types would be sitting on the floor rocking back and forth in the corner of their bedrooms due to all the daily variances and inconsistencies in time keeping between the watches and the clock on their connected device.

15. tyrantlizardrex Nov 13, 2019

Money laundering...

Strangedream and Yak1 like this.
  16. scv55 Nov 13, 2019

It's pretty crazy...happy I bought mine some time ago!

Edited Nov 24, 2019
  17. dc_boffin Nov 13, 2019

"Cheap" money over the past few years, a healthy (growing) economy, and the omnipresence of social media = price inflation. The same thing has happened to vintage cars, guitars, and tube stereos.

18. snunez Nov 14, 2019

How are you making those plots? And where does the data come from? I can think of a few similar analysis I'd like to run.

19. alam Nov 14, 2019

They don't have time for that - all energy is focused on ensuring the correct hands, bezel, pushers, dials, fonts are correct and original to each variant :cool:

20. Fabrice M Nov 24, 2019

Watches are never good investments.

stuart70 and scv55 like this.