Forums Latest Members

Speedy Full Service movement parts replaced?

1. speedygrail Oct 10, 2020

Other then the typical parts replace for a full service, (crown,crystal,hands,mainspring pushers etc.) Are movement parts also replaced? I know the omega website says they do.

I'm assuming if they are, they don't include the originals in the returned part bag to the customer?

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 10, 2020

If the repairs are being performed by Omega, they return the old parts.

3. Evitzee Oct 10, 2020

They only replace parts that need replacing. If they meet spec they aren't replaced.

4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Oct 10, 2020

Crystal is not a typical part replaced in a service.
    They do replace movement parts as needed, and they do return all replaced parts to the customer.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 11, 2020

In my experience Omega will always replace an acrylic crystal but not a sapphire one. Independents vary, many won’t replace anything that doesn’t need it.

6. Owlsu Oct 11, 2020

Does the price increase based on the number of parts replaced or is it the same? If they replaced 20 things would it be the same as if they had only replaced 1 part?

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 11, 2020

Any parts replaced by Omega are charged at their nominal value, above the service charge.

8. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 11, 2020

I always thought that most movement parts were included in their fixed price services.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 11, 2020

Quite right, I just checked my last service receipt from Omega.

I must have been thinking of Rolex ::stirthepot::.

connieseamaster likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 11, 2020

Full service at Omega will include movement parts, and some case parts. So for example a Speedmaster Pro will include all the new movement parts, plus new crown, pushers, and case back seal. On a modern diver it would include movement parts, plus new HEV, crown, case tube, and seals.

These service prices don't include things like sapphire crystals, new case backs or bezels, or dials.

kkt, speedygrail and AntonisCy like this.
  11. speedygrail Oct 11, 2020

Thanks Archer, I guess my question is, if they don't return the movement parts, can you assume they didn't replace them, or just did not include them?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 11, 2020

Omega sends the parts back...

13. Jantar Oct 11, 2020

I've always had movement parts returned by Omega, but once they serviced my Mk40 and they said it required a new case. They replaced the case for free (very kind of them) but they did not return the old case, or the old caseback.

14. Martin_J_N Oct 11, 2020

They do indeed, I received everything back that had been replaced on my 2010 Seamaster Diver, a breakdown of the work carried out, a nice red case with a very nice shiny watch inside that looked like a new watch. Very impressed with Omega.

15. speedypants Oct 13, 2020

I’d like to know - I have a FOIS that had an issue with the chronograph within the first 4 months of purchase. I had it serviced since and was covered under warranty. As per the service notes from Omega service Center they had to replace a few parts. I’ve had the watch for over a year now and never had an issue. It works great!

I had this lingering question in my mind since I got it back. Even though omega serviced the watch, when they replace the parts does it mean they are not the ‘original’ parts anymore? (Considering they are not the factory parts but replaced ones) sorry for the long winded question :)

16. s2000_driver Oct 13, 2020

If Omega serviced your watch, all the replacement parts are Omega manufactured. They are no different from the ones that were inside your watch when you first purchased it.

speedypants likes this.
  17. Duckie Oct 13, 2020

Of course they are not the original parts.
    But they are genuine Omega parts.
    This may also mean that they have actually been updated from the original design which routinely happens if the original parts are(over time) found to be inferior or not quite fit for service in accordance with Omega's standards.

Why would one want sub par parts anyway?
    Even if they were the original ones fitted to the assembly.

speedypants and DSotW like this.
  18. DSotW Oct 13, 2020

I had to have my Triple Date sent to Biel/Bienne to have the bracelet fitted (OB was not able to do it for some reason).

They noticed that the back cover was not the correct one, so they replaced it... FOR FREE.. and also sent me back the old / incorrect one in a little bag.

Talk about great service. Considering the horror stories I hear about Rolex service, I'm going to stick with Omega from now on.

19. speedypants Oct 13, 2020

makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks for your input on this. I think, with all this talk of ‘service parts’ used in fixing watches I got a bit confused as to, are these parts ‘original’ or are the called ‘service parts’now that they have been replaced. I guess that latter more to do with vintage watches. Thanks again! :) I’m relatively new to the hobby so I find myself learning everyday.

20. speedypants Oct 13, 2020

true! Always good to have updated parts (if any).