Forums Latest Members

Other watches used in EVA's

1. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 18, 2017

@TLIGuy 's thread 'https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmasters-still-for-eva’s…-fact-or-fiction.55531' as well as the links posted there by @SpeedyPhill were the cause of me spending some enjoyable time looking at Astronaut pics (nowhere near seen em all).

I came across the following, and did not want to pollute the original thread which is about Speedmasters in EVA's:

iss018e014401~orig.jpg
    There is a watch, its worn outside the space suite, but its not a Speedmaster.

A closer look.

iss018e014401~orig.jpg

And then a side profile :

iss018e014410~orig.jpg

...A closer look.

iss018e014410~orig.jpg
    Looks like a similar case structure to some of the more modern Seiko divers (but it cant be, as these pics are from 2009, and the watches I am thinking about at least 5 years later). There appears to be a blue GMT hand, and the 'V' shaped 12h marker is similar.

Who knows what watch this is?

EDIT : Is that a crown at 12h I see?

Jones in LA and SpeedyPhill like this.
  2. TLIGuy Jun 18, 2017

3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 18, 2017

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 18, 2017

Wow, talk about fast :) Thanks guys. Yup, thats the one...reassuring my gut was pointing in the right direction. Already checked out the 'netgrafik' link in the referenced thread, but they looked old-school compared to this one. There must be other modern watches also being used. Will continue looking at pics...

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 18, 2017

Richard Garriott wearing a pair of SEIKO Spring Drive Spacewalk wristwatches... he also wore an Omega X-33
    [​IMG]

6. jaguar11 Jun 18, 2017

watchyouwant likes this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 18, 2017

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 25, 2017

Indeed interesting to know only six Seiko Spring Drive Spacewalk wristwatches were made and afterwards a limited edition set of 100 pieces for the general public... now that's what I call LE :whistling:

eugeneandresson likes this.
  9. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 26, 2017

In fact, if You look carefully at the first photo, Lonchakov was wearing a pair of SEIKO Spring Drive Spacewalk watches
    Lower left of the photo.. right in the hook, You can see the crown

Lou P and eugeneandresson like this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 26, 2017

Damn, nothing escapes you @SpeedyPhill :)

pair.png

Lou P and SpeedyPhill like this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 26, 2017

At least one of these " Flown outside ISS " SEIKO Springdrive watches was afterwards sold via a charity auction...
    Next year we'll celebrate the tenth anniversary of that flight - Soyuz TMa-13, curious to see if SEIKO might bring out a tribute Spacewalk wristwatch :unsure:

12. cwindham Jun 26, 2017

13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 26, 2017

Although in the suggested manufacturers list (Benrus, Bulova, Gruen, Hamilton, Longines, Omega, Piccard, Rolex,...), Bulova made several of the instruments for the Apollo program but didn't compete in the rigorous NASA tests for a wristwatch...
    Breitling, Longines Wittnauer, Omega & Rolex... Reliqua historia est...

In summary: watches exposed to open space:

Omega Speedmaster 1965, June 3 by Edward White (2x Speedmaster 105.003-64)
    Glycine Airman 1966, September 13 by Pete Conrad sat in open Gemini XI capsule during Gordon's EVA
    Bulova chronograph 1971, August 2 by David Scott Apollo 15 lunar EVA 3
    Fortis Cosmonaut 1995, May 12 by Vladimir Dezhurov Mir18 cosmonaut
    FIYTA chronograph 2008, September 27 by Zhai Zhigang chinese taikonaut
    SEIKO SpaceWalk spring drive 2008, December 23 by Yuri Lonchakov (2x SEIKO SpaceWalk watches)

Edited Mar 7, 2019
    Dash1 and eugeneandresson like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 26, 2017

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 9, 2019

The official FORTIS website contains an important claim in their space story:
    Fortis B42. It is the watch with the most hours not only in space but also in open space.
    Well :thumbsdown:
    All kinds of advertising claim spectacular things and although FORTIS is probably correct on the number of days FORTIS watches stayed in space as the first FORTIS arrived in space in July 1994 and might have stayed aboard the Mir space station untill the final crew Soyuz TM-30 returned on June 16, 2000... this accumulates to 2177 days in space !
    However, the time exposed in open space cannot be correct as the Speedmaster chronographs have the most time on lunar and space station spacewalks. Any thoughts ?

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 11, 2019

Although I have no photographic evidence, it looks like the first FORTIS watches worn on EVA - spacewalks were the chronographs worn by the Soyuz TM-19 cosmonauts Talgat Musabayev and Yuri Malenchenko (Mir-16 crew)

In summary: watches exposed to open space:

Omega Speedmaster 1965, June 3 by Edward White (2x Speedmaster 105.003-64)
    Glycine Airman 1966, September 13 by Pete Conrad sat in open Gemini XI capsule during Gordon's EVA
    Bulova chronograph 1971, August 2 by David Scott Apollo 15 lunar EVA 3
    Fortis Cosmonaut 1994, September 9 by Mir-16 cosmonauts Talgat Musabayev & Yuri Malenchenko
    FIYTA chronograph 2008, September 27 by Zhai Zhigang chinese taikonaut
    SEIKO SpaceWalk spring drive 2008, December 23 by Yuri Lonchakov (2x SEIKO SpaceWalk watches)

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 11, 2019

great list!!!

Isn't there a Strella (I thought poljot) from the first Russian spacewalk?

This link has some interesting info on the early russian spacewatches.
    https://www.netgrafik.ch/russian_space_watches.htm

18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 12, 2019

@Foo2rama
    The Strela "Arrow" chronograph was worn underneath the Berkut space suit, so not directly exposed to outer space !
    The watch is clearly visible in the Ural mountains receovery photos showing both Leonov and Belyayev wearing it on the left wrist...
    Leonov_strela_1965.jpg

GordonL and Foo2rama like this.
  19. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 12, 2019

For those interested space aficionados... the 4 slides on FORTIS watches in my 164 slides Spacefarers' wrist watches presentation:
    25_FORTIS.jpg

20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 14, 2019

Replying to a discussion about the Apollo 17 Commander Eugene Cernan, whether he did or did not wear his 2nd Speedmaster 105.003 underneath the Apollo A7LB spacesuit during lunar EVAs in December 1972 ... this might be interesting as it fascinated me for almost 5 decades:
    So here are my five cents
    :coffee:
    It's easily possible to wear a wrist watch underneath a space suit... it has probably been done since 1965., as I don't see any wrist watch on the outside of Alexei Leonov's Berkut spacesuit during his March 1965 spacewalk... and I have checked the photos & footage over & over.
    Anno 2019, take a look at some pre-launch Soyuz photos where several ISS-crewmembers often wear a minimum of three wristwatches, mostly one over the Sokol spacesuit, the others on each wrist, going underneath the Sokol space suit glove.
    Personally, I have spoken to some astronauts & cosmonauts and even tried on 5 types spacesuit gloves (Apollo, Orlan-D, Orlan-M, Sokol GP7A and Sokol GP7S) , so I know it can be easily done. If this was done during lunar EVAs still has to be proven...
    However, facts are important and to be complete I have to add that American astronauts aboard the ISS- International Space Station are forbidden to wear any jewellery/watches underneath the space suit aka Extra-vehicular Mobility Unit during a spacewalk!
    Here're a few examples with an Omega Speedmaster chronograph on a steel mesh JB Champion bracelet
    ( 90mm diameter Orlan-M glove similar to Apollo )
    MoonwatchUniverse_1.jpg
    ( 85mm diameter Sokol GP-7A glove )
    MoonwatchUniverse_Sokol.jpg

Omegafanman likes this.