Speedmasters in Geneva November 2023

There was this 2998 in Christies Geneva, which had a nice dial:

Christies 111.JPG
Unfortunately, the bezel is a modern service one, which knocks about $4,000 off any valuation. The watch was nice otherwise, but untouchable at low estimate of CHF 15,000 (don't forget the +26%).

Sotheby's had a surprisingly respectable 2915-2 with original documents and provenance:

Sothebys 44.JPG

Sold for CHF 139,500 including premium, this was bid over high estimate. In my opinion, this is a fair valuation and one I will anchor my future valuations from.

Sotheby's also had a very expensive (Estimate CHF 30,000 - 50,000) 145.012-67 Ultraman. This is above what I see others trading for, and it was withdrawn. I think the markers were adjusted. This is my photo:

IMG_1513.JPEG

Finally, Sotheby's had this 145.022-69 selling in a few hours at the time of writing and already has CHF 5000 incl premium - I am not sure if this watch is up to the company of the other watches in the auction, but we shall see. It wasn't that nice in the metal, but so far the money isn't crazy.
soth.JPG

Antiquorum had a lot of Speedmasters, and deserves a dedicated thread.

Here is an interesting lot, a 2998 with a bezel I just could not get happy with (Fonts wrong, grey fade, unnatural) :

aq 2998.JPG

This failed to attract any bids at CHF10,000.

In general, the mood was good in the auctions. While they were all selling watches at prices I am never going to go near, it is always interesting for me to see what people are saying.

To be honest, I was worried the auctions would be poorly supported, but most things sold comfortably in estimate. A lot of high value items changed hands, and as I always do, I wondered what sort of person puts $500,000 on his wrist, and how many of that kind of person are there in this world.

Things that stuck in my mind:

Pateks sell if they are mainstream and attractive. Some less attractive high value ones did not sell.
Stone dial Rolexes continue to get strong interest.
Vintage Rolexes are uncertain, some strong, some not.
John Meyer Green Dial Daytona is readily available and cheaper.
FP Journe continues to garner interest
George Daniels watches are selling very strongly.
No shortage of AP's

Antiquorum had a lot of Speedmaster lots, here is the link - there is too much to go through here, I might later.

Like 30
Happy to see the nice and honest 2915-2 sell where it should.

Market surprisingly strong. Still not very predictable. Rolex sports continue to be weak. Daytonas continue to go fairly well. Rare and beautiful pieces still fetch record prices.

I felt bad for the seller of the red depth 6536 at Phillips. That sold extraordinary cheap.

Like 2
Antiquorum had a nice Speedy 145.022-68 that I followed.
Condition was good +
But the bezel was not the correct one…
Bracelet was a 1506 with 16 endlinks, kind of a weird combo, but a bonus.

It was sold for (including the premium) 6875 CHF / 7150 € /7650 $

But then you have to add 7.7% VAT (deductible with some paperwork...),
and also import/custom fees depending on where the shipping would be?

Or maybe spend a nice week in Geneve….?

They had more Speedys......but maybe Mr @Spacefruit will have a report on these?
:)

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image3.jpeg image5.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image6.jpeg image7.jpeg

Like 2
By now, after the decade long hype... All the very best Speedmaster chronographs must be sitting in private collections... ::popcorn::

Like 2
I think the markers were adjusted.

Hey @Spacefruit, Could you please elaborate what do you mean by adjusted markers? I would also welcome more comments on this Ultraman. :)

Best, Stefan.

Hey @Spacefruit, Could you please elaborate what do you mean by adjusted markers? I would also welcome more comments on this Ultraman. :)

Best, Stefan.

Relumed.

Like 3
Ultraman's are completely overrated. All of the sudden in the last few years many showed up; contrary to the original claim of not many made ....

Like 3