Forums Latest Members
  1. number41 Mar 10, 2017

Anyone else finding that it is a tad unrealistic? Feel like watches are just trading for more $ as I watch sales happen here and on eBay. Ultimately the market is the market and is whatever a willing buyer and seller are willing to transact at, so starting to think it may not be a reliable guide. Thoughts?

2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 10, 2017

As I understand it, there's a lot of data behind the pricing index, but as with all markets, blips, fluctuations, and slides in either direction do happen!

Possibly best to ask the chap who puts the effort into building and maintaining it - @Spacefruit ;)

3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 10, 2017

Three thoughts:
    1. Prices on the chart are for head only. Most watches for sale include a bracelet or strap. Some include boxes/papers., extract, etc. These extras add to the value, so you should adjust accordingly.
    2. Prices on the chart are for actual known transactions, so they tend to lag just a bit because it isn't updated in real time.
    3. There's always going to be a gap between the prices of known transactions and asking prices. When a dealer or private seller lists a Speedmaster for sale, we don't always find out what the actual purchase price was.

Do you have any examples to point out where the price was unrealistic?

4. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Mar 10, 2017

The chart is actual known prices, so it is not unrealistic. It's not some computer calculation. For the few transactions I have witnessed, mainly brick and mortar auktions, I have found the chart to illustrate final sales prices pretty accurately.

5. MaiLollo Mar 10, 2017

On top of what has already been written, I think it's best to "protect" the buyers with slightly lower guideline prices than doing the opposite and creating a feeling of having been cheated ;)
    Someone needs to invent the bloomberg for vintage watches !

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 10, 2017

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 10, 2017

Viewing just prices on listings here can be a little misleading at times as you often don't know the final agreed upon price, there's also a big difference between "asking price" and selling price, eBay auctions also frequently are shilled by the seller as a sort of faux reserve.

Though a different brand, Panerai's for example right now are sitting at their asking prices and changing hands for way less than most owners think, the disparity in that market between perceived value and actual value when push comes to shove and a sale has to be made is rather astonishing.

SpikiSpikester and roryoc11 like this.
  8. Tubber Mar 10, 2017

marco and oddboy like this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 10, 2017

The fool who fools the fool's fool is the most foolish fooler of all the followers.

10. Tubber Mar 10, 2017

Sorry Joel, I just had to get a Kenobi quote in there.
    The OP said it "Ultimately the market is the market and is whatever a willing buyer and seller are willing to transact at,"
    Spacefruit is a most respectable member on here and the prices on the guide are just that. If anybody would care to have a better estimate I guess it would be most warmly welcomed.

marco and oddboy like this.
  11. Tubber Mar 10, 2017

You were typing that as I was writing a reply is that like "Peter Piper"

oddboy likes this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 10, 2017

No worries! I got the reference. :D

13. Tubber Mar 10, 2017

"Then why don't you listen to me?"

oddboy likes this.
  14. number41 Mar 10, 2017

Thanks all - and absolutely meant zero disrespect for @Spacefruit - my interest and excitement for vintage speedies all started with the Speedmaster101 site, not to mention the wealth of knowledge I glean from it daily. Been discouraged as of late trying to chase down opportunities, but I will persist in my quest to find my dream speedy!

The_Walrus, kkt, Andy K and 1 other person like this.
  15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 10, 2017

It also doesn't help that prices seem to go up faster than one could reasonably update a price chart.

What percentage increase do you think this next update will show?

I'd love to see a price list for parts. Those too are out of control. I was planning on selling some parts but by the time I get around to figuring out price, pics, etc, it seems like prices go up 10-20%. Why bother.

I'm still looking for dial for -69/-71 dial.

Tubber likes this.
  16. dbane007 Mar 10, 2017

It's in the interest of us buyers that the prices in the chart stay low. It's the dealers that demand the chart be updated with the paid high bid!

Foo2rama, Davidt, number41 and 2 others like this.
  17. Tubber Mar 10, 2017

Definition of "Guide".
    a thing that helps someone to form an opinion or make a decision or calculation.
    "here is a guide to the number of curtain hooks you will need"
    synonyms: model, pattern, blueprint, template, example, exemplar;

Swissgmt1675 likes this.
  18. jurisevac@ Mar 10, 2017

It is sadly when you need guide,besides that healthy eyes.

marco, Spacefruit and Tubber like this.
  19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 10, 2017

At the top of the Price Guide Page: (I have highlighted the important part)

• This Chart is for MOTIVATED COLLECTORS. The prices here DO NOT reflect retail prices (as found in Vintage Watch Shops), or often not even dealer prices all of which are often 20%-100% higher. Almost every price in the chart is backed up by a known purchase or sale, often my own. The fact that Chrono 24 has a 2998 for $80,000 does not mean that is what you have to pay to own one. I genuinely believe I / you can find a watch at prices I quote – with patience and dealing with the Vintage Omega community.
    • Remember also, exceptional watches will command prices off the chart – if a watch is especially attractive, then they will command a premium.

People who query the prices often have not fully grasped that the numbers are:

Head only.
    Private, collector to collector transactions. This is an important point. Collectors dont need profits. They have real jobs, and this is our hobby.

The numbers are there as a start. We then add a premium on for:
    Originality
    Overall attractiveness
    Buyers desire or impatience
    And we can also say you need to add a dealers premium, probably 30-50% if it is being sold by a dealer.

Any time there is a commercial component, then the price will rise so that the dealer/auctioneer can take a profit. There was a sale recently of an 861 speedmaster on this forum for under $3000. That was a collector to collector sale.

So now most Speedmaster trades are now more commonly those with a profit motive. This always drives prices up and often quality down, (As sellers try to "improve"the watch, usually doing something that makes it worse for me). Now there are more one owner watches coming through B&M auctions than ebay, and since those auctions take around 30% of the total price, you can see it makes the price higher than two private parties who if they find each other could do the deal for 30% less without the seller losing money. (Or ebay which takes a max of $750 out of the deal).

I do accept the prices on the chart are now on the low side at the moment due to rapid rises, but the trouble is what we are seeing on ebay, on Chrono24, in Christies, and even in Fellows, is lower quality trade watches that might find it hard to sell cold, here in this forum for the same prices that they are achieving in the excitement of live auction. Also these trade sites like Chrono24 are asking higher prices than those that are being achieved. Some Ebay BIN watches have been there for over a year.

What I do think is that the "poor "catagory is becoming irrelevant as very few watches are now in this condition - note the early watches no longer have a price for "poor"

marco, nonuffinkbloke, ATWG and 13 others like this.
  20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 10, 2017

Perhaps you could show some examples?
    Then I could lead you through the thinking, and perhaps even see I am wrong!