Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster vibrates when auto winds?

1. Markdl Jan 14, 2015

I just purchased the Speedmaster Racing 326.32.40.50.11.001 and I love it. But when I put it on after not wearing it for a bit, or when I haven't been moving for a while, I can feel it vibrate. I know that this is he motion of the mechanics inside winding it (sorry, I don't know the technical terms), but is this normal? I have an Aqua Terra as well as a Rolex and Cartier that do not give the same sensation/vibration/movement. Is this normal or does it need service? Thanks for anyone's assistance.

2. peatnick Jan 14, 2015

The rotor may simply be loose, open the case back and gently turn the screw holding the rotor in place clockwise to tighten.

If its already tight the bearings between the rotor and the winding shaft may need replacing.

If so a full service is the best route imho.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 14, 2015

Unless you know what you're doing, or have a high tolerance for "whoops, I really screwed that up", I very strongly recommend you bring it to a professional for evaluation and any needed repairs.

4. ulackfocus Jan 14, 2015

Hey, you got that wonderful rotor wobble! The Valjoux 7750 is famous for that feel. Since it only winds in one direction, the rotor can really get spinning in the opposite direction, so much so that it imbalances the whole watch. I guess I should look up what base movement is in that watch. Got a picture? I can tell almost immediately from the dial layout.

EDIT - if it has the date at 6, it's based on a Piguet 1x85 (probably a 1285). Does anyone know if these have the wobble too?

5. Markdl Jan 14, 2015

Here's the pic. Of course I will take it to a professional. In fact, there is an Omega boutique in town. If I can't explain the mechanism or the winding, I'm sure not going to open it up. Very low whoops tolerance here.

image.jpg
    Nobel Prize likes this.
  6. Men Jan 15, 2015

It has a 3330 movement with his roots somewhere in the 7750 with the one direction winding mechanisme. The noise you hear might the rotor turning free in the not winding direction

kingsley likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2015

kingsley likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 15, 2015

If this is wobble while being worn on your wrist, it is a characteristic of the ETA 7750 that the Cal. 3330 is based on, so it's perfectly normal.

watchos and kingsley like this.
  9. tatai Feb 11, 2015

I have the Seamaster 300 M Chrono ... it's phantastic when it wobbles ... and the watch is very good.

OhMeeGa and kingsley like this.
  10. z1109r Feb 12, 2015

Felt reeallly strange the first time it happend. I could see the watch wobble, could not believe my eyes ::confused2::

11. ketiljo Feb 12, 2015

The 7750 should be a part of everyone's collection. Just flick the wrist to "feel the force" :)

12. tatai Feb 13, 2015

About 25 years ago :(, I bought as souvenir :):) to remeber my experience in the Navy: it was a Navy watch. It is mechanical and self winding ::rimshot::. I used it, more or less, one month per year and I was impressed of its wobbles following the fast movment of my wrist.

I did not care about the watches ... up to three months ago when a local wachmaker suggested me to perform a deep maintenance to the watch as it is "a very good movement". So, I asked him to open the watch to tell me more about the movement. So I discovered that is was an ETA 7750.
    Next saturday I will withdrow it (I am very happy to have it again with me :):):)) ... I will share some pics of this watch.

Let me finish saying that I have transmitted my entusiasm for the watches to my best colleague of mine. He owns an Hamilton ... with the same movement. He has also waiting to withdraw his watch from maintenance ... ;);)

OhMeeGa likes this.