Forums Latest Members
  1. it_is_watch_time Oct 27, 2019

IMG_1159.JPG
    Hi everybody! As already said in another thread I am new in this Forum. I am a vintage watches passionate and collector. During these years I developed a huge interest for vintage Omega... Speedys first of all! My first Speedmaster was a modern 2013 moon watch (3570500), then I sold it for buying this amazing 1991 flat Speedmaster. I think that this dial is unique: I falled in love with it due to the perfect contrast between the killer black dial and the pumpking patina of the lumes. The writings long Sr on the dial are a plus! As far as the bracelet is concerned, this was the last beautiful that Omega has produced before passing to the modern ones, based on my humble opinion.

I am thinking about to "upgrade again" my Speedy and I would like to pass to a step dial one... 1969 or 1968.
    What would you do if you were in my shoes?

- Keep my gorgeous flat.
    - Sell my flat and buy a great '69 or '68
    - Buy a step dial Speedy and keep my flat also
    - Other???

Thank you very much for your consideration

Etp095 likes this.
  2. JanV Oct 27, 2019

Well if you can, then keep the -91 as it’s one of the last tritium Speedies and the good ones of this reference are rising in value.

I would recommend to go “all the way” and get a AML dial Speedy, either a transition or 321.

But just check for the quality of the lume first, many are suffering from loss within this era.

Second is to trade the -91 if this one doesn’t have too many personal memories and you have the chance to get a really nice AML.

The AML will always outshine the -91 with all its presence. Just my 2 cents, and a story how I made a trade this year for a reeeally nice -66 HF.

3. it_is_watch_time Oct 27, 2019

Hi JanV,

Thanks a lot for your complete analysis. I will keep in mind your advices too.
    Bye

4. djmusicman Oct 27, 2019

Keep yours if you can, it’s a nice one and rising in value. Add one with a step dial and aml. Then come back here in a couple of years to tell us that you’re hankering for a straight lug Ed White ;)

it_is_watch_time likes this.
  5. it_is_watch_time Oct 27, 2019

Thanks djmusicman! I like my flat a lot and maybe I am not ready now to let it go away! As far as the step is concerned... I like a lot the ‘68 due to the AML, then why not a 321?! I am blowing my mind off!

Cheers

6. Axel Oct 28, 2019

I am a big fan of the 3590 (I have one) and early 3570 Speedmasters with tritium dials. Usually very nice patina to the dials and in my opinion very nice bracelets. Also easier to find in good, original condition with box/papers.

Yours looks great. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of it. But I guess if it was going towards a step dial/AML with a nice dial, then who could argue. Would have to be a good one though to make it a worthwhile upgrade IMO.

7. it_is_watch_time Oct 28, 2019

Hi Axel! Thanks a lot for your reply! Early Flat ‘90s Speedmasters, the good ones (as you mentioned), have a great patina of the lumes and nowadays their collectible value is a steep increasing curve!

Cheers

8. JwRosenthal Oct 28, 2019

I wouldn’t sell yours, it’s a nice looking watch, don’t bugger up a perfectly lovely Speedmaster. If you want a step dial, but another watch. they made them through about ‘74 if I’m not mistaken (maybe ‘76??). Unless you like to pay premium collector prices and fight it out for rarer watches, I don’t see any reason to not look for a ‘70-‘74 which are far more abundant, just as well made and less expensive.

My ‘72 agrees with my thinking.
    2FA3A5FC-349E-4978-B929-883A61EDDF8B.jpeg
    7594DC4A-8551-4CD8-A672-F17F51348E71.jpeg

9. JwRosenthal Oct 28, 2019

10. it_is_watch_time Oct 28, 2019

Hi JwRosenthal,
    Thank you for your reply! Yes, I agree with you that my Speedy is a nice looking and probably I’ll keep it with me! Thank you also for send me the link of the ‘69 in the OF market!

Bye

11. Claven2 Oct 28, 2019

Umm... you do realize this is a "collect them ALL" forum, right?

12. Scaramanga74 Oct 29, 2019

Keep yours, save up and buy a step dial as well :)

13. it_is_watch_time Oct 29, 2019

yep!

14. it_is_watch_time Oct 29, 2019

This is what I am going to do, most likely!