Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster starting to wind down quickly

1. RD10004 Sep 16, 2021

My three year old Speedmaster is starting to wind down much more quickly--in 24 hours or so. Before getting service of any kind, is there anything I should know or think about? Planning on taking it in to Omega, but I'm not sure if I know where the paperwork is! Thanks in advance.

2. Evitzee Sep 16, 2021

If it was bought after July 2018 it's still under warranty but you'll need your warranty card or dated receipt, if it was bought before July 2018 it doesn't matter.

Not sure what you mean by it running down more quickly over 24 hours. Is it stopping after 24 hours? If so the question to be asked is, are you fully winding it (until the crown won't go any more)? Pretty unusual to have a three year old Speedmaster crap out with mainspring issues.

Edited Sep 16, 2021
  3. gbesq Sep 16, 2021

Could be the mainspring, but that seems very unlikely for a three year old Speedmaster.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 16, 2021

If you bought it from a AD or an Omega Boutique they will have you on file…

5. ducatiti Sep 16, 2021

Why would one need to show warranty card or receipt after 2018? Just curious as the procedure or policy has gone backwards technology wise.

6. Evitzee Sep 16, 2021

I've bought a couple of new Omega's after 2018 (Australia and Aruba) and they were not inputting the sale into any system. You got the stamped warranty card and a receipt. Not every location was instantly connected to the all knowing Omega mothership. It's always good practice to keep your paperwork!

7. RD10004 Sep 16, 2021

Thanks for your response: Yes, it's unusual. I'm winding seemingly to the same amount of tension and where this would once last for 48 hours it's now just 24. I never wound it until it wouldn't go anymore, but almost so.

8. RD10004 Sep 16, 2021

Just checked. Was bought in Jan '18 and I do have the paperwork. And a part of me wondered if I've just not been paying attention to which days I've wound, but now paying careful attention it does seem to be winding down in 24 hours.

9. Evitzee Sep 16, 2021

Wind the watch every day until the crown won't turn anymore, that's the only way you'll know you are starting with a fully wound mainspring. Counting turns of the crown, or until the tension feels about the same, or winding it every other day just aren't good, consistent methods for a manual wound watch. The watch will not break when you wind it fully and I suspect you really don't have an issue other than you weren't starting with a fully wound watch.

hronists and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 16, 2021

Wind it until it stops.

11. Out of TIME! Sep 16, 2021

? Automatic or manual wind?
    Automatic mainsprings have a bridle that will slip inside the barrel, so you can't overwnd it.
    If automatic, the bridel maybe slipping & thus not much power reserve.
    Manual, wind till it bump stops.
    Magnetic infuence could shorten the amplitude which may cause rapid run down or sticky hairsping.
    Old color TV sets have stong magnetic field so do alot of todays cell phones... which caused isues in leaf shutter cameras,

12. Dan S Sep 16, 2021

If you are not winding the watch fully, there is no way to judge the power reserve.

Foo2rama likes this.
  13. RD10004 Sep 16, 2021

Appreciated and perhaps correct. Will try it out.