Forums Latest Members
  1. Destry Feb 25, 2020

Hello everyone,

I've had my Speedmaster for about 8 years now and wear it daily. It still runs +5 or 6 spd as it did when new which I am most satisfied with.

I use the chrono very frequently (timing work lunches, etc.) and have started to notice that the minute subdial occasionally fails to register elapsed minutes. Just earlier today, I was using it to run a 30 minute meeting at work and noticed that the minute subdial clicked over to show 1 elapsed minute, but each additional revolution of the chrono second had would not cause the chrono minute hand to advance. Pausing and restarting had no effect. Resetting the chrono however, and then starting it again results in function as normal.This is a rare occurence, and it only seems to get "stuck" once every 50-100 uses of the chrono.

I don't live anywhere near a local watchmaker, much less an AD. If the watch is still keeping time so well should I take the hit and send it in for a $750 service? Am I going to damage anything and incur further cost by continuing to use it?

Thank you for any insight about what could be going wrong - my Speedmaster (3577.50.00) is 2012 mfg with the 1861 if that is helpful.

greyfox422 likes this.
  2. PhilF Feb 25, 2020

Not knowing a reputable local resource or AD, given that parts availability for those watchmakers who do not have an Omega parts account is difficult, personally, I'd bite the bullet and have a factory service done, you're a bit past due anyway at 8 years in. Those who have had a full service done at Omega, especially those whose watches need some cosmetic restoration have generally been satisfied. Unless your watch is looking somewhat shabby (nicks, dings & scratches, etc) I'd have them omit the polishing. I believe a new crystal is included.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. greyfox422 Feb 25, 2020

We don't know because we can't see inside the watch. A watch could be keeping good time and have issues only a watchmaker could discover. The manufacturer recommendation is service every 5-7 years. There are resources to find a watchmaker and there are tons of recommendations of mail in service centers. The service could be $750 now or a LOT more later because there is a major issue that went undetected or unrepaired.

4. Dan S Feb 25, 2020

You won’t necessarily incur additional cost by waiting, since I think that omega factory service costs are fixed. But yes, things could continue to get worse over time.

5. connieseamaster Feb 25, 2020

I'm sure @Archer could be a bit more detailed, but I believe Omega factory service pricing includes a lot of line items that are likely extra charges at an independent watchmaker.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 25, 2020

When the minute recorder hand gets "stuck", what happens exactly?

Does the watch stop completely? If so, are there are other hands near the minute recording hand?

If not, and the watch continues to run, does the minute reorder hand start to move, but then drops back?

Cheers, Al

7. Destry Feb 25, 2020

Al,

When it happened today all the other hands seemed to operate as normal, with the exception of the hand on the minute recording subdial.

Everything else continues to run, but the minute recording hand "ticked" from 0 to 1 minute as normal, then continued to show 1 minute elapsed even after multiple full rotations of the chronograph second hand.

In this particular instance the small minute hand seemed completely stationary. In other instances it has "quivered" or "twitched" just a bit as the seconds recording chrono hand passed 60 as if it was trying to show another elapsed minute, but didn't have enough torque. It does not always get stuck at the one minute elapsed mark either - it seems to be random on which of the 30 possible minute marks it sticks on.

It definitely does not appear to be making physical contact with the other hands, nor does it seem to effect them in the watch's operation. Once stuck it never starts recording time again - it will stay stuck for 30 minutes +, but once the chrono is reset it functions as normal until this strange occurrence happens again.

I hope I am adequately describing the problem - please ask for clarification on anything I may not be making clear. I greatly appreciate the help.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 25, 2020

No you did fine. I've seen this happen on occasion...here is a short video...

There is a small spring loaded finger on the central chronograph wheel (the one with the seconds recording hand on it) that flips and intermediate wheel once per minute, and that in turn flips the minute counter. You can see in the first clip that the finger fails to move the intermediate wheel, and instead the spring collapses. The next clip shows the underside of that wheel, and how the finger and spring work. The last clip is with a test wheel from another movement I was servicing at the time installed, and it trips the minute counter fine.

It's possible that the spring for the finger is weak, and this is why the minute counter fails to advance. It will requires a new chronograph wheel at service. This in itself will not cause any additional damage to the watch or movement, but since you are already at a point where the watch should be serviced, you could send it in - up to you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

phcollard, Donn Chambers and Partagas like this.
  9. Destry Feb 25, 2020

I am sorry if my questions in the original post weren't clear - I'm trying to figure out the following:

1) Omega lists the service cost for this watch at $750 - if I continue to wear and enjoy the watch I realize it may accrue more wear and tear on the internal components. If my understanding is correct, the $750 is the same regardless of which parts need to be replaced correct? I realize that things like bracelet parts or bezels could incur additional costs, but does the level of wear on the movement change service costs that much?

2) I'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) that there are a limited number of parts inside the watch that could cause the issue I'm having. I am not sure if these limited parts operate independently from the rest of the movement (possibly a gear train connected to the minute subdial for example), or if the parts controlling the minute subdial also control the watch's other functions. If their function is limited to just that particular subdial, then perhaps it wouldn't hurt the watch's primary time-telling function. I wasn't aware if this is a common occurrence or not with the 1861.

Thanks!

10. Destry Feb 25, 2020

Al,

That video is fascinating! It seems as if the finger gets stuck down occasionally to different levels (or depressed to different extents) on my example - that would explain why sometimes it quivers and at other times it does not. I'd love to get my 30x loupe out to examine what is causing the spring to provide inadequate pressure to the finger some revolutions but not on others. I'd probably do more damage than good trying to examine it myself though - it doesn't seem like an endeavor to be undertaken without the proper knowledge and tools.