Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster restoration: what considerations are to be made?

1. HPFarabutto Nov 20, 2019

I start thinking to make a facelift to my speed 145.022 69st. For me it’s the first time with a watch of this vaue, so I need some advice to handle it. I’m not sure is necessary too. Also speaking with my watchmaker a new world was opened to me. From what I understand it matters also if is just to sell or just to wear. So many questions:
    - when is really necessary a restoration?
    - need to be full or just for the worst things?
    - polishing yes or not?
    - hands just re painted or gave new lumen?
    - at the end it will worth more or less?
    I hope these thinking can be a base for a general discussion in the way to help someone to make the right choice.

murph likes this.
  2. percymon Nov 20, 2019

I think the general advice here is not to do too much at all - a very good deep clean of the components as a minimum.

After that its very much down to your personal choice and the condition of the watch - if the paint on the hands is chipped and the lume damaged then repainting/repairing/replacing is an option, although don't expect the new hands to match the aged patina of the rest of the dial etc. If you want a new looking watch then there are a service agents that will laser weld dents and polish back to 'new' condition (Swiss Time Services for instance). If you wanted a full service, which may include new hands, plus case refurbishment then expect to hand ca £900 to STS. Will you get the £900 back - not a chance (maybe £300 for the fact its serviced/warranted). Most people looking at vintage watches would rather buy a watch in original condition, than something that's been made to look like new.

Of course it's your watch, you are the one wearing it and looking at it - if you want something shiny then perhaps sell it an buy a new Moonwatch ?

3. HPFarabutto Nov 20, 2019

I share your thoughts...but for example if you buy a vintage watch that is in a good overall conditions with maybe just one thing that was re-done in the past (but in a bad way): would you restore it or would you leave it as it is because is part of the story of the watch? Easy to think to hands that maybe were already re painted but in a bad way many and many years ago

4. HPFarabutto Nov 20, 2019

I like it because is old, so no way to buy a new shiny one

5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Nov 20, 2019

that depends.

again, that depends.

no.

that depends.

probably less, but again, that depends.

Show us pictures, tell us what bothers you, and what you think should be done.

6. HPFarabutto Nov 20, 2019

Thanks, mine wants to be a chance to make some considerations that can be helpful for someone else. Anyways my biggest question mark it is about hands. Case has some scratches but doesn’t matter.

DFC1F149-A363-4A2F-8603-26CA4E75C0BC.jpeg
  7. Denarius Nov 21, 2019

Those hands look fine, bright white sharp hands standout like a sore thumb on a vintage Speedmaster, I have one with chipped paint at the base of the hands and was considering having those areas touched up with matching paint, but the consensus is to stabilise them and leave as it is.

HPFarabutto likes this.
  8. HPFarabutto Nov 21, 2019

I think the hands were retouched in the past, there is an area that is not so well painted..also there is a yellow shade/dirt that is very bad..for this reason I was thinking to do something. Second hand is the only seems fine

9. Wooden_spoon Nov 21, 2019

I think the hands are fine. It’s in keeping with the rest of the dial and case- in perfect harmony. Retouching the hands could make them stand out.

10. w154 Nov 21, 2019

Did you notice the 220 bezel. Is your SN in the right range. Neat little detail...

HPFarabutto likes this.
  11. HPFarabutto Nov 21, 2019

Yes the serial is ok with the 220 bezel..