Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 105.012 -65, Where Wnd What To Service Or Restore?

1. aapinen Sep 20, 2014

Finally I was able to find & buy vintage Speedmaster and nailed all important things to me:
    • 321 movement
    • Stepped dial and applied logo
    • Spear chrono second model
    There is still dreams to be fullfilled if I ever nail a 105003 but now I settle to this 105012.

Second owner was selling this watch and this older gentleman had bought it from the original owner in 70s. This watch have been probably serviced only once or twice but I only managed to read one of the two markings in caseback so 9.1.1983 matches to the time when owner said it was serviced and crystal changed. Watch came without papers, box and original bracelet but I'm more than happy to just get the watch.

Watch has seen some action in past 50 years and now I'm wondering what to do to it before starting to use it.
    My main concers and things that should be done:
    • Full movement service and probably some parts needs to be changed. Watch seems to work ok.
    • Full watch clean up but gently :) . There is small white dot between 4 and 5 in dial. Also watch generally needs cleaning.
    • Crystal changed to original Omega model. I was not able to find Omega logo in the center of this crystal so is it a afternarket crystal?
    • The black rehaut under crystal has some paint chipped of and brass or something gold colored is visible at some parts of rehaut.
    • Bezel is a mess and probably will clean up a bit but it is really scratched and rusted. I'll probably start hunting DO90 bezel like so many of us.
    • Bracelet hunting is already started and I'll probably settle on 1175 or 1171/1 first and then if I'm lucky later I'll buy 1447 or 1450.
    • Hands have some small rust and paint has chipped so I don't know can those just be cleaned and left as is or should those be somehow fixed. If possible I wouldn't put new hands and maybe only aged hands would be ok.
    • Watch case is ok for me so I think I will leave it as it is because watch will come to my daily use so it won't stay anyway totally scratchless.

What you guys would recommend for the service/restoration?
    I have Googled and read trough the posts regarding vintage Speedmaster service/restoration and I have found few options.
    Should I use:
    • Local Finnish watchmakers. There are few vintage oriented watchmakers and some of them have official Omega service license.
    • STS in UK
    • Omega in Bienne
    • Some other options?
    My main intention is that watch stays as a vintage piece and also can show some scars from the past.
    Hopefully watch will acompany me for my lifetime and I can pass it to my future kids.

Now some facts and photos (sorry no movement pics because dust cover didn't come of easily and I'm not a watchmaker :unsure: )
    Model: 105012 -65 HF case
    Serial: 2401xxxx (what last owner told)
    I think everything else than the crystal is original and matches the model correctly.

DSC02680.jpg
    DSC02680_2.jpg DSC02707.jpg
    DSC02708.jpg IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2589.jpg DSC02717.jpg IMG_2580.jpg IMG_2587.jpg IMG_2600.jpg

DSC02706.jpg
    Tritium likes this.
  2. Pasbru Sep 20, 2014

This looks like a job for Stefan....he is a member here, send him a message! Good luck!

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2014

I think that's going to look great after a good cleaning and a new crystal, nice watch

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 20, 2014

My vote, for watch in this condition, is STS.

5. Northernman Lemaniac Sep 20, 2014

Do as little as possible. Ie new crystal, movement service and a good clean.
    It will result in a fantastic 012!
    Congratz!!!
    :thumbsup:

As for watchmaker in Finland I have no clue, but I recommend to make very specific instructions that nothing is to be swapped or touched without your approval. Whatever you do, keep it far away from Omega and their affiliates.

And..... Remember to post plenty of pics when it is done!:)

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. g-boac Sep 23, 2014

Just Say NO To Polishing!!

Dash1 likes this.
  7. g-boac Sep 23, 2014

You have a very, very good watch, that is very fixable. The most critical components - the dial, the hands, and the movement look to be in great shape, underneath a very scuffed crystal. That crystal may polish out; or, it can be easily replaced with a genuine Omega hesalite crystal. As rough as the dot-over-90 bezel looks, it will blend nicely with a clean crystal showing off your very crisp, lightly faded, very dark dial. You can, indeed, make it a project to look for a clean replacement dot-over-90 bezel and that will enhance your watch further - but otherwise, you have a great watch!!

8. aapinen Sep 23, 2014

Thanks for the comments and recomendations.
    What I have understood and read is that Bienne will have best supply of parts but they normally change all used parts for being able to give guarantee for the watch. I guess Bienne will respect requests e.g. not to change hands? When vintage appearance is what I aim Bienne is probably not best option.

How about the STS? How they differ from Bienne? I guess with them it is a bit easier to communicate directly and make sure only needed changes are done. Pricewise Bienne and STS are roughly in same category?

It seems that quite many finnish watchmakers are ready for servicing 321 caliber but are they all in same level...I don't know. I guess I have to make some visits locally and query feedback in finnish forums. Maybe in one of these visits I can also get the dust cover and make some photos of the movement to share.

9. aapinen Oct 27, 2014

Now some movement photos and these are not pretty :confused:
    movement1.JPG
    This one still ok but some scars already visible
    movement2.jpg
    Little bit more scars...who has been the previous watchmaker?
    movement3.jpg
    Then I guess hammer was the only tool he had :eek: Current watchmaker really wondered how this is possible. Well I didn't get the most beautyful example on movement side but let's see if outside cleans to be ok watch. Probably watch is ready in this week after full cleanup and service. So more photos will come later.

Here also the extract...still with the old price (which was not cheap either)
    extract.JPG

10. ChrisN Oct 27, 2014

Hammer and wire brush! Perhaps he was suffering from the shakes when he scratched right across the jewel for the small second hand. Most of the damage seems to be marks on the mainplate and hopefully, your watchmaker can still get it running well. I'm sure there are far worse abuses of movements out there (cue - horror stories and photos from Al).

Good luck with this. It is one more 321 than I have.:whistling:

Cheers, Chris.