Forums Latest Members

What considerations to look for when getting a 3752.50 Hesalite Sandwich?

1. ROM_Bombadil Sep 27, 2016

I'm looking to add my first 'serious' watch to my collection (not that I don't love my Vostoks, Seikos and Orients) and have decided that my ideal watch would be the Speedmaster 3752.50 "Hesalite Sandwich". It seems like the perfect combination for me of beautiful dial with the ability to see the beautiful movement.

Looking around WatchRecon and Chrono24, I see a variety of offerings and am curious what I should be looking for in the following areas:
    1. Papers. I've only seen a few that have original papers. Is this pretty usual for speedies in this price point? Is it worth it to hold out for one with papers?
    2. Polishing. I have seen a few that say they've been polished. I know with Rolexes thats usually a no-no, however any similar consideration for speedies?
    3. Lume. The older 3752.50s used tritium while the newers use superluminva. I think I'd prefer the superluminova just because I'd like the lume to actually *work* and don't expect this watch to become super collectible or anything. Should I change my mind on this?
    4. Accuracy. I know speedies are not chronometer certified, but have been surprised at the number that are running 20 to 30s fast or slow. While I consider that acceptable for my Seiko and Orients, it seems a bit surprising for the moonwatch. Am I being overly picky here?

Is there anything else I should be looking out for that I've missed?

listy likes this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 27, 2016

Good choice but I kind of think either stick with the original 3570.50 or go all sapphire, I don't see the point of having the tough bit hidden round the back. All IMO of course:

1) I like box and papers and there is no reason to settle for a watch without as the saving wont be massive anyhow. If you are not seeing them at your price point, add £100/$130 to your price point and look again.
    2) On a modern watch i.e. not a unique 60 or 70s piece covered in patina I personally like it to look box fresh and not knocked about. As long as the refinishing is done to Omega factory spec (or STS if you are in UK) then it is a good thing IMO. If it is done badly then it is better it is not done at all.
    3) S-L works but stays green-white nearly indefinitely, though it can and does fade slightly eventually. Tritium doesn't work after ~15 years but goes orangey cream eventually. I prefer lume that works too, though even when new the Speedy dial isn't exactly a torch like a 2254.50.
    4) I like my watches to run at around +2 to +5s per day. A Speedy can do this, if it is running outside this spec it either needs regulating or servicing.

3. rcs914 Sep 27, 2016

I actually disagree - I don't like sapphire crystal Speedys, so for a long time I wanted a 3572.50 as well. Still wouldn't mind one, but I ended up getting an aftermarket sapphire caseback for my 145.022-76. That way I killed two birds with one stone - I can look at the awesome copper/gold movement, and I have a birth year Speedmaster. I still wouldn't mind owning a 3572.50, but it's not as important to me as it once was.

I too wanted boxes and papers - I guess in my mind it indicates better treatment of the watch, and caring for it. This may or may not actually be true, but I just can't understand getting rid of the boxes and papers for watches, especially those that aren't that old. Obviously stuff happens - moves, etc, and things get lost. But all things considered I'd rather have one with all the stuff. But it's not a huge deal overall on a watch long out of warranty.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 27, 2016

Most speedies should be running much more accurate then that. My money is the watch is over 5 years old and needs a service.

5. WatchVaultNYC Sep 27, 2016

1 - for a 3572.50, I'd say pay $100 more for box and papers vs comparable one without. There's nothing suspicious or intrinsically wrong with a watch without box or papers, even close to brand new watches. Most watch buyers are normal people and not WIS, completists, or hoarders. Many people throw out the boxes of their new iPhones right away too.
    2 - for watches this young, polish/no polish I believe is not an issue, as long as its well done
    3 - I prefer luminova to match the rhodium movement, tritium for the gilt movement on the 3592.50
    4 - Speedy Pro is not a chronometer. With tuning it is capable of COSC spec (my 3592.50 is close to 0s/d for years even after several severe drops on stone floors), but its unreasonable to say there's something wrong if accuracy is not up to a standard it does not claim to meet. Even more unreasonable to expect COSC accuracy in a non-COSC, unserviced watch. That's like buying a Civic that hasn't had an oil change and expecting it to perform like a Porsche (not saying OP expects this last one, but you'll be surprised at how many people hold the belief that an unserviced Speedy Pro should keep COSC time)

Edited Sep 27, 2016
    Kim and Foo2rama like this.
  6. mezz72 Oct 12, 2016

great info and i ended up getting a 3572.50

ROM_Bombadil and Taddyangle like this.
  7. Stratlad Dec 23, 2016

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm looking to buy one myself. Where did you find one, was it in the uk?

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 23, 2016

The watches are pretty common check the for sale section here or feel free to make a post on a watch you are considering with a link and members can chime in.

9. Stratlad Dec 23, 2016

Cool, couldn't see any on here yet (still scrolling through) seen some on chrono 24 but they're all in Japan.
    I'll definitely ask you guys on here when I think I've found the one!

Thanks

10. ATWG Dec 23, 2016

Great watch, was on my list as well but other references took precedent. I'm a stickler for B&P and no polish, specially on modern watches. These are readily available references, no reason why you can't find one in near mint condition. These are appreciating nicely in value, and having one with B&P will most definitely be a plus down the road.

Be patient, and your persistence will payoff....and never settle for anything!

11. Stratlad Dec 23, 2016

Sounds like good advice to me, I do want b+p, for some reason it just makes me think that the watch has been cared for more (I realise this can be untrue) but I feel the more I know about the watch the better. I'll keep looking, the "one" will turn up I'm sure.

Thanks