Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Professional as One & Done

1. SC1 Apr 21, 2022

Question for you folks...

Currently own:
    Three Omegas (Speedmaster Reduced 2nd version with sapphire crystal & dual pusher clasp - occasionally worn but it feels a little inauthentic (for lack of a better term) than the Professional and the subdials strike me as oddly placed even though I understand why, Seamaster 57 Trilogy - barely wear it & truthfully because I dislike the non-tapering bracelet & gigantic (to my eyes at least) clasp, Seamaster 300 "Lollipop" with the black sandwich dial - wear it often as the honeymoon phase is still heavy & I pretty much adore it even though I feel a touch burned out on divers)
    a Rolex (the discontinued OP, 36mm, 3/6/9 Blue Dial - dislike wearing it because I feel like an idiot with a Rolex on my wrist & my wife teases me mercilessly for wearing it and even owning it + I find the hands to not be that legible out of doors)
    and a Hamilton (Khaki auto - bought it, wore it, liked it but boxed it up because I like my Omegas much more)
    Got very close to purchasing an Aqua Terra in the last two months but decided to step back and go into Think Mode about adding more vs. reducing down.
    So, I am thinking seriously about selling all of them and consolidating down to a single new watch and calling it Done... the latest sapphire sandwich Speedmaster Professional on a bracelet.
    Why?
    Love the history of the watch (huge space/NASA nerd), love the latest movement upgrade (and ability to geek on it visually), love the new bracelet (taper, clasp, screws on the removable links), love the more economical presentation display case, love the idea of a manual wind (old enough that my childhood was all manual wind watches - even my first, a Mickey Mouse Timex).

Regardless of what watch I wear - I wear them for everything I do with the sole exception being, showering.
    Never had an issues with any of my watches doing my usual daily activities: writer (that's easy on the watches), running, mountain/desert bicycling + camping (lots of wrist vibrations with occasional jolts), house repairs (including welding, metal shaping, sawzall usage, painting, etc - definite wrist vibrations & impacts up through my hands), drummer/percussionist (less so these days since the pandemic and relocating to an area that has very little of the music I play but in any event many repetitive vibrations/impacts to the wrist up through my hands, and no not Rock music, Jazz - specifically Be-Bop)...
    In any event, I don't take them off for any of this - and the reason I am including all of that in this post is to ask:

Even though I would think not, any thoughts/opinions on the Speedmaster Professional being particularly delicate or prone to issues with the daily wear I've outlined above?

Thank you for suffering through the rather long tome.

Fish70 likes this.
  2. alakapla1 Apr 21, 2022

I have Speedmasters as a daily, no issues to note. They are a robust watch. I don't baby my watch at all, but I don't abuse it either.

If your other watches withstand what you've been doing, a speedy will do fine.

From your post it sounds like you like the watch itself. Ultimately that should be the reason to purchase it, if you decide to. Ultimately, it's an emotional purchase. I love mine and would never sell it. I have a Gshock as a "tool watch" but only wear it if I'm scared of scratching my speedy. But that would go for any traditional watch

Foo2rama and SC1 like this.
  3. matlt Apr 21, 2022

With the exception of decreased water resistance, and some minor risk of damaging pushers, I wouldnt hesitate to wear my 3750.50 for all the tasks you’ve mentioned. I am a mechanic and wear mine often while working. Also wear it while hiking and camping on a regular basis. It is definitely a tool watch.

SC1 likes this.
  4. Sicario Wombat Apr 21, 2022

My Hesalite Sandwich 3752.50 is my everyday watch. I’ve reduced my collection and now quite content with this Speedy being my sole watch especially in these uncertain economic times!

SC1 and mbp like this.
  5. Donn Chambers Apr 21, 2022

While it ultimately is a personal decision based on your own personality, sure, a Speedmaster Pro can easily be a “one and done” watch.

with that said, I wouldn’t sell all your watches to buy it. I could see getting rid of the Reduced and 57 Trilogy to fund the Speedy Pro, but I would keep the Seamaster 300 and the Rolex. I think that is on of the nicest OPs Rolex made (and much better than the colored dialed ones that are going crazy now). It really flies under the radar and most people will never notice it’s a Rolex. Wear it for special occasions.

Then you would have a nice compact 3-watch collection that can cover anything.

Om3ga321, Jensop and SC1 like this.
  6. mbp Apr 21, 2022

The hesalite sandwich is the perfect tool watch. I miss mine quite a bit.

SC1 and Sicario Wombat like this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2022

They’re definitely not delicate, my personal favorite one watch collection in the Seamaster Pro 300M, the high water resistance, domed sapphire crystal, hardy ceramic bezel etc make it stand up exceptionally well to abuse and stay looking new after many years. The Speedmaster isn’t bad by any means but the hesalite and aluminium / steel bezel is slightly more prone to damage or getting dinged up.

p4ul, SC1, Scooterino36 and 1 other person like this.
  8. fiberguy Apr 21, 2022

This is exactly why I bought the 300M as my first Omega!

SC1, p4ul and dsio like this.
  9. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 21, 2022

Me too, I was desperate for (and going to buy) ‘The Moonwatch’ then I met the Diver. When I take it off I miss it, and it is back on before the reserve has gone.

SC1 likes this.
  10. savka Apr 21, 2022

Wore my Speedy daily for about 7 years as my only watch. Worst thing that happened was that I cracked the Hesalite once and had to have it replaced.

As someone else posted, I’d probably keep the Seamaster and Rolex if I were you, at least for awhile. If you don’t wear them after getting the Speedy, then think about selling.

SC1 likes this.
  11. JayBe Apr 21, 2022

I think that your logic is sound and honestly, if you buy the moonwatch second hand, you should have minimal to no downside should you decide that it's not the right one.
    Given that you plan to play drums with it, it may be worth to consider a 1861 instead of the 3861, but that is really only a blind guess and not based on any experience of my own. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the differences can comment on that. For me the main advantage of the 1861 is, that it's easier to service.

I agree with the previous posts and would keep the 300. However, I completely sympathise with your remarks on the Rolex and would probably not wear and keep it either, given what the brand stands for nowadays.

SC1 likes this.
  12. tudor66 Apr 21, 2022

You have thought this through, so I won't try and sway your opinion here. However, unless you need money to eat, I would avoid selling your Rolex, and for that matter any Microsoft Stock, and the nice beach rental property that you no longer use. Just my opinion, the guy who has sold many rolexes when he didn't need the money to eat and should have kept them...

RI Omega Fan and SC1 like this.
  13. j.jota Apr 21, 2022

Speedy Pro can be an 'only watch', BUT keep it away from water of any kind! Many years ago I tried to rinse mine off to clean it and water intruded the case

SC1 likes this.
  14. matlt Apr 21, 2022

How did you manage to crack it?

SC1 likes this.
  15. matlt Apr 21, 2022

I’ve had my speedy since 2011 without a service. Still wash it with water. To be fair, I no longer submerge it.
    However, if yours is new, regularly serviced or tested, it’s rated to 50m. So unless you’re washing it at the bottom of your 50m swimming pool you’ll be fine. Eventually a ploprof or dssd will lose its water resistance if not cared for as well

SC1 likes this.
  16. mbp Apr 21, 2022

Yes, it should be rated to 50m. I'm pretty careful with mine as well especially because I like to get my watches second-hand.

SC1 likes this.
  17. savka Apr 21, 2022

Impromptu, yet serious and competitive, game of pickup basketball at a family gathering. Spring bar failed (had it on a strap) so the watch fell flat onto the concrete. Surprisingly, there was no damage on any other part of the watch — it landed on the crystal and the hesalite took it like a champ. Timekeeping wasn’t affected either. Here’s a dusty pic prior to servicing (crack is at 6 o’clock, in case you’re blind):
    5C2242FA-B89C-4B1F-BD68-10811714E6E2.jpeg

SC1 likes this.
  18. j.jota Apr 21, 2022

very true... in my case I only waited about 10 minutes after washing it to use the pushers which was the cardinal sin :-(

SC1 likes this.
  19. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Apr 22, 2022

JwRosenthal likes this.
  20. Omegafanman Apr 22, 2022

Out of interest why not the 3861 hesalite?

SC1 likes this.