Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Professional 3570.50 Service - Examining the Dial

1. Frank J Malloy Apr 18, 2022

I was looking at my recently serviced 3570.50 moonwatch under 8x/10x magnification (independent watchmaker). All looks good, except for the minute counter subdial. It appears he may have had some trouble getting the minute counter hand back on. The center pin is silver and looks a little gouged and misformed and scratched, and the hand itself has a tiny little nick in the paint.

It looks totally fine without magnification, and I ran the chrono and the minute counter seems to be working fine. I can't post any pics since I don't have a macro lens that shows the issue.

Without seeing a pic, am I being nitpicky? Should a watchmaker keep the hands and posts looking 100% perfect?

2. justacpa Apr 18, 2022

It's not much consolation to say, "Well, it's just a little scratch", but if you can't see it without a loupe it's probably not worth losing sleep over it. But I probably would anyway. You just want things to be perfect. One consideration...would that same watchmaker scratch something else worse if you took it back?

TwinPeaks, Omegafanman and mbp like this.
  3. Frank J Malloy Apr 18, 2022

Thanks for the reply. I would think he should replace the hand/post if he damaged it. I guess he figured I wouldn't notice? Paying $800 for a regular service, I would expect the hands to be in as good a shape as I left them.

He came pretty highly regarded and got many great reviews. I guess I'll just go thru an Omega boutique/AD next time...

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 19, 2022

In that case it's not an issue worth worrying about.

blufinz52 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. mbp Apr 19, 2022

I recently started collecting and am wondering, are people using Omega-authorized watchmakers or just third parties they are familiar with/nearby?

6. Frank J Malloy Apr 19, 2022

The person I used is Omega trained, and can buy Omega parts, and all that. He showed me pics of him in a white coat with the Omega logo at Omega in what looks like Switzerland HQ. He said he was there to get co-axial training. He showed me his bench and all his equipment.

So, this person is legit, and he has dozens of great reviews for his servicing (he also does Rolex, etc.). I was just a bit disappointed in his installation of the minute counter hand.

7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 19, 2022

What did the watchmaker say when you asked him about it? Are you giving him an opportunity to inspect it and propose a fix?

Spit happens. It's how they deal with it that matters.

8. Frank J Malloy Apr 19, 2022

I haven't raised it to him. I think it's probably on the border of being nit-picky. I just wish I could upload a macro pic to get your input. I'd particularly like to hear Archer's input...

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2022

My input would be to ask the watchmaker about it...

BlackTalon likes this.
  10. Frank J Malloy Apr 19, 2022

Thanks Archer.
    I keep looking at it under the loupe, and I'm thinking two things a) it really doesn't look that bad, but b) couldn't he put the hands on perfectly?

In studying all this, i see two different subdial configurations - one seems to have the hands with this little white dome with a hole in it, and it seems pressed over the post. The other seems to be a larger hole with a crimped silver post through it. I see both on moonwatches, and the 3816 models seem to use that.

11. Walrus Apr 19, 2022

Do you use the guy regularly? My watchmaker is great he has made a few small errors, I don’t expect perfection out of people until I myself achieve it and it doesn’t happen often but when I have brought an issue in he takes the watch back and remedies it or on the occasion I thought there was an issue he explained what was going on. Even if you haven’t used him a lot I find 98% of watchmakers are great about standing behind their work. If it’s troubling you no harm in bringing it back and just explaining your concern.

apsm100 likes this.
  12. mbp Apr 19, 2022

Is the center-pin gouged to the point that it'll be dysfunctional or possibly more difficult to repair? Could raise the question that way, maybe?

13. Frank J Malloy Apr 19, 2022

This is the first time I've left a watch with him for a service. Your answer makes a lot of sense. I think I will visit his shop and just ask about it. How he responds will make a lot of difference. Thanks.

14. blueteg Apr 20, 2022

For a modern piece, Omega.
    For a vintage piece, my local indy Omega certified watchmaker

They are both about the same price (the indy is about 10-20% cheaper for most jobs)

mbp likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 20, 2022

You are asking us to advise you based on a rather vague description of a fault that apparently can only be seen with a loupe. If you want more detailed advice, post a clear photo of the problem.

16. mbp Apr 20, 2022

Any reason the modern ones go to the Omega service center? Parts or complexity?

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 20, 2022

There are a lot of brand new watches that don’t quite hold up under 10x magnification either so worth keeping that in mind unless it’s obvious something has been mishandled

18. Evitzee Apr 20, 2022

This is a perfect example of a post that is "worthless without pics". The OP originally asked, "Should a watchmaker keep the hands and posts looking 100% perfect?" I would say under normal light with no magnification they should appear perfect, but when you start using 8x or 10x magnification you can often pick up minute marks, but they should be very small. I think you are probably overreacting but without pics we really can't say if it's something that should have been avoided, or is normal. As others have suggested take it up with the repairer and see what he says.

And put the loupe down.

ChiefMark likes this.
  19. Frank J Malloy Apr 20, 2022

Sorry for the trouble. I'm going to forget all about it and just enjoy the watch, as I have been for the last 15 years with it.

Thanks for the responses.

20. Frank J Malloy Apr 24, 2022

Ok, this bugged me enough that I went back to the watchmaker. He looked at it under his loupe. He didn't say it was acceptable or that I was being nit-picky but he didn't say it was a poor job either. He said he will order another hand and install it - 4-6 weeks to get it.

Attached are before/after photos. Clearly, the hand is worse than when I gave it to him. Before it had a small white dome with a hole and a pin in it (like the other two subdials) Now, the white dome is gone, the metal center post is gouged and misshapen, and there is a small paint chip on the left side.

I notice that the new 3861s do not have the small white dome - they have shiny crimped metal tops. I'm ok if he replaced the hand with one of those, but this metal center is messed up, and he didn't want to replace it.

You don't see this without magnification, but again - I think when you pay $800 for a service it should come back looking the same or better, even under 10x. Personally, I think he should have seen the damaged hand and put a new one on.

[​IMG] [​IMG]