Forums Latest Members
  1. scapa Dec 23, 2019

Hi all,

I have been really enjoying My First Speedy, but have found it unusually difficult to wind, a combination of the quite stiff and smallish-seeming crown and my own ham fingers, exacerbated by a chronic neurological condition that impairs my fine-motor control at the best of times. I find several of my other watches (Seamaster, Pelagos, BigEye, vintage Seamaster, Cartier) far easier to manage in this regard.

I've done some site and web searches on this, and have experimented with several of the techniques recommended (winding it from below, using the index finger to 'spin' the crown, etc). I've also looked at some tools designed for this purpose:

watch winding tool.jpg
    I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with such a solution, or if there are any other suggestions for easing the process. I am otherwise very happy with the watch, and have no desire to replace it, but I would like to enjoy rather than endure the daily ritual of winding.

EDIT: The watch is brand-new.

Edited Dec 23, 2019
    Lug likes this.
  2. Pun Dec 23, 2019

You haven’t told whether your watch is new or old. If it’s new Watch then it’ll be much smoother after few weeks. I had similar issues but it’s now okay. if it’s used and still very stiff in winding then you should take it to a qualified watchmaker for inspection. There may be something not correct that made winding hard.

janice&fred likes this.
  3. Pun Dec 23, 2019

Our in-house expert Archer may analyse and explain better.

Duckie and scapa like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 23, 2019

If it’s new it’s the gasket making it hard to wind. It will break in.

janice&fred, Archer and scapa like this.
  5. scapa Dec 23, 2019

Sorry -- watch is brand-new.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 23, 2019

You might be able to get the crown tube lubricated with silicone grease. Wouldn't take much.

Tom

janice&fred and scapa like this.
  7. mjb Dec 23, 2019

My Speedmaster is a little bit challenging to wind up, and I've got tiny fingers and no real digital impairment, so I can understand the OP's pain. That tool for the Tudor (I think that's what that is) is a neat idea, and I imagine that once you figure out how to make it, get the tooling done and all to fit the Omega, you'll have invested thousands of dollars for something that will sell for $9.95. But you'll be able to sell hundreds of them...

Seriously though, can you get your wife to do it? Or maybe adopt a child to do that (and other chores around the house) for you.

My wife cannot set her automatic watch, and if it sat for too long, she just hands it to me without a word. Probably because I warned her before she bought it...

scapa likes this.
  8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 23, 2019

Since your Speedmaster is new, you might consider exchanging it for an automatic version. It's not exactly a moon watch, but it would sure be easier to operate.

Tom

janice&fred and scapa like this.
  9. saulgoodman Dec 23, 2019

Not to worry. It will become easier with time. It can be a little stiff at first. When you break it in it is super smooth. Just put the crown between your thumb and forefinger and wind. Know this, at first you may feel resistance when the movement is actually not completely wound. Let it rest a minute and then come back to it. Wind it fully once a day, preferably at the same time each day. Enjoy your new watch!

10. YY77 Dec 23, 2019

My speedy with 3861 movement is still hard to wind (daily winding) even though it's been already 4+ months ago I got it. Reluctant to send it in to have it looked after such a short time.

scapa likes this.
  11. PhilF Dec 23, 2019

Like you, I also have some nerve damage to my right hand and find winding the Speedmaster Professional with it's crown guards somewhat difficult. There are some Bergeon crown winding assist tools shown on the Otto Frei site. The size of my current Speedy Pro crown is 6.51mm, so check the sizes. I have some question if these tools would have enough crown to "grab" due to the guards. My Speedmaster is manageable if I do it daily and use my fingertips. I've had it since July and it has gotten easier over time. I try to faithfully wind it every morning when I get up, I think of it as my daily " bonding time" with my favorite watch.

scapa likes this.
  12. YY77 Dec 23, 2019

The crown guards are the reason I'm thinking a crown winding tool isn't useful, I have also tested speedy 1861 movement at the AD which was much more easier to wind.

13. Evitzee Dec 23, 2019

They winding feel varies from watch to watch .... some are easily wound, others much more stiff. They will all loosen up somewhat with use.

Pun likes this.
  14. Duckie Dec 23, 2019

Precisely.
    I also think that with time two other things occur that contribute to ease of manual winding of your Speedy Pro.
    First, it seems as though a better distribution of lube in the Spring barrel smoothes things out a lot.
    Second, I think our winding technique naturally develops to become more effective.

Perservere with thumb and index finger for a better grip on a crown with already restricted access.
    Keep in mind the watch had evolved very early on to be what it is due to being prone to damage in service.
    I think the crown was also enlarged to compensate for the restricted access by the subtle crown guards designed into that area of the mid-case.

Pun likes this.
  15. Duckie Dec 23, 2019

Perfect.
    This mirrored my personal experience:thumbsup:

scapa likes this.
  16. Bimmerman77 Dec 23, 2019

I don’t have issues winding any of my watches, but my wife’s Deville prestige has a 4mm crown that destroys my fingers. She usually wears it every day so I don’t have to wind it, but she always forgets on the weekends to stick on the winder. So Monday morning I’m winding it. I use that tool in the picture and it’s fantastic. Her watch is rose gold and zero scratches from the tool.

scapa likes this.
  17. scapa Dec 23, 2019

Thanks all for your observations and suggestions. I will keep at it, and will also pick up a tool to try just in case. If things don't improve I'll also look into some additional lubrication for the crown stem. I feel like the additional torque that is generated by a popped-out screw-down crown a la Seamaster might have been helpful in this design, but I get why that might have presented additional difficulties/problems. And I'm guessing that duffers with hands like mine never sniffed astronaut school.

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  18. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 23, 2019

I've had a few thoughts. First, perhaps you can turn the watch over and use your non-dominant hand? Also you could wear a rubber glove?

Tom

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 23, 2019

There’s no lube to distribute in this particular barrel, so I don’t think it’s related to that. It’s mostly the seal in the crown wearing in over time.

scapa and Pun like this.
  20. Strangedream Dec 23, 2019

I find it somewhat easier to wind my Speedy Pro with my left hand while holding the case in my palm. However I reckon since I have an older watch it might be easier to wind than a brand new one.

scapa likes this.