Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster - hour hand bent upwards - acceptable?

1. marsjan Oct 6, 2022

Short story: is it acceptable to ensure clearance between the subdials and the hour hand of the Speedmaster by bending the hour hand upwards?

Long story: during the last few months I had to return my 1861 Speedmaster for warranty repairs a few times. After one of the repairs I noticed that the clearance between the hour hand and the small seconds hand was very, very small small. Two weeks later the watch began to stop randomly between 8 and 10 AM/PM. The reason was that the hour hand was sometimes blocking the small seconds hand and stopping the movement.

I returned the watch to Omega yet again and they solved the problem by bending the hour hand upwards. The watch works fine, but the bend is noticeable. I can see with a naked eye that the hand is not parallel to the dial, nor to the other hands.

It's bugging me not only visually, but also because I think that the repair is poor workmanship. But maybe I'm wrong, hence the question. Is it acceptable according to watchmaking rules or Omega standards to ensure clearance between the small seconds and hour hands by bending the latter?

I'd be very grateful for any info and suggestions on this.

2. sonicosa Oct 6, 2022

Do you have any pics you can share?

3. marsjan Oct 6, 2022

Sure! These are the best I could take with my cameras.

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG
  4. Canuck Oct 6, 2022

Looks like someone used a short cut to solve the alignment problem. Perhaps raising the hour hand at the centre might have been a better alternative. If the watch is now working properly, it is your decision as to whether you return it yet again!

5. marsjan Oct 9, 2022

Thanks. I'm thinking about taking it back to Omega. I'm just wondering if what they did is acceptable from a watchmaking standpoint or if it's indeed a shortcut.

6. photo500 Nov 6, 2022

This is a bit of a short cut and not a great one. The running seconds hand needs to be removed and reamed slightly so it sits lower on its pinion.

7. morethan1 Nov 6, 2022

Obviously the more they touch it, the higher the risk of something going wrong. Worse case they put in a new seconds hands if they damage your original.

8. marsjan Nov 12, 2022

Thanks! It seems that was indeed the case. I went back to Omega and after another debacle on their part they fixed the problem. They installed a new, straight hour hand, but this time there is ample clearance between it and the small seconds hand. I think it's because the seconds hand seems to sit much lower now than it did previously.

Oh, believe me, I know :) . I spent the last 5 months going back and forth with the Omega service. What started as a warranty service to bring the timekeeping back to specs resulted in: scratched dial (replaced), gouged case back (replaced), scratched case (I refused polishing), hands blocking each other, hands bent in every direction etc. But I got a bunch of accessories and an invitation to a watchmaking course from them for my trouble and the watch seems to be alright now.

9. Evitzee Nov 12, 2022

Your experience is a good example of why one should think twice about sending a watch in for minor issues such as an errant rate, dust under crystal, hands that are slightly misaligned or other cosmetic issues, there is always the chance that it will come back with other, often worse, issues.

10. marsjan Nov 12, 2022

I agree completely. In my case the timekeeping got pretty bad (from +5 to +20 spd) over a few days. I wanted them to look at it under warranty in case there was a big problem inside. I didn't want to risk having to pay for repairs after warranty.

11. Evitzee Nov 12, 2022

In the end you got your problem solved, but what a nightmare. Which Service Center was doing this work?