Speedmaster gaining 10 seconds in 2 days

I recently got a Speedmaster Professional (bog standard, sapphire glass speedy) in early December and I love it so far.

However, recently, in the past few days to be specific, I’ve noticed it’s time keeping is not as precise as it was when I first got it. That’s no biggie for me, as long as it’s not getting too far ahead of the actual time. Well, now it is getting to that point.

It’s currently running 26 seconds ahead of the actual time. On Thursday, when I first noticed it was not as accurate as usual, it was only 15 seconds ahead. By the end of that day, it was 20 seconds ahead. It’s gained 10 seconds in 2 days, and now I’m worried that there’s a problem with the watch. I don’t want it to get much more than 30 seconds ahead, but at this rate it won’t be long before it gets a full minute ahead.

I’ve been looking online trying to see if this is an issue, and I’m wondering if, according to the symptoms, it might be a magnetisation issue. I’m hoping someone a lot more knowledgable about these things than me can tell me what the issue is, if there is one at all. I just want my watch to stick to the time and not run fast, so I don’t have to keep setting it back to the right time every few days.

Thanks!

Assuming that you have been leaving it dial-up at night, you can try resting it on its side when you take it off at night. It might lose a few seconds and even things out.

I recently got a Speedmaster Professional (bog standard, sapphire glass speedy) in early December and I love it so far.
Is it a Speedy with a 1861 or 3861 movement?

1861 has the specs of:
Omega specs for this movement are that the average daily rate should be between -1 and +11 seconds per day

3861 has the specs of:
the Master Chronometer specification of 0/+5 seconds per day.

Based on your title, you’re seeing +5spd, which is within tolerance of both movements. If you have the 3861 movement, you can always pull the crown to hack the movement to allow the time to sync. If it’s the 1861, you can always pull the crown and back hack to sync the time.

I’d be pretty happy with +5 a day, personally. As mentioned, within spec, probably easy enough to regulate by position, and I’d always rather have a watch that runs a few seconds fast than one that lags.

Another way to look at it: there are 86,400 seconds in a day. Your watch is operating within about six thousandths of a percent of accuracy. Not bad for something mass produced out of little gears and springs and bits and pieces so small you need a magnifier to tell they’re there.

Buy a gps quartz.

A couple of questions:

1. When did you synch to a known time source? You said it was keeping great time for and had only gained 15 seconds in that period. If that was over a month, that’s great and I wouldn’t be worried yet, with only another point to go by. But if that was in a day, I would be.

2. How often do you wind it and are you sure you do it until you can’t go any more? I find people who’ve never owned a manual watch often don’t wind fully because they are scared of “overwinding” which is impossible just using your fingers.