Speedmaster Dial in a Seamaster Case?

This watch, recently listed on a local watch shop's website, has me feeling a little confused...

The watch, on first glance, appears to be a Seamaster 176.005 (the case back also says Seamaster) but on closer inspection it has a Mark III 176.002 dial which is also what the shop is selling it as.

I recently noticed Flavio selling a blue dial Mark III with a Seamaster case back and vaguely remember a thread somewhere mentioning that some Speedmasters shipped with Seamaster case backs, but can't seem to be able to track that thread down.

The seller themselves acknowledges this strangeness by saying:

"Our example likely was the result of mismatches during manufacturing and the case is from a similar age Seamaster ref. 176.0005."

So is it possible that this watch is an official missmatch or has a 002 dial been put into a 005 case after it left the factory? The reason I'm resorting to asking here is that I can't seem to find any other Mark III in this TV style case... maybe I just need to look harder.

Also, I know the photos aren't great but that case looks as sharp as a knife... anyone willing to say if it has been refinished or not?

Thanks, Matt

According to the late Chuck Maddox, such a variant did exist.

http://chronomaddox.com/omega/articles/mark_series/MarkSeries.html

He has a picture of one about half-way down the page, looking identical to the one you are looking at. He calls it variant (c) and says it was produced around 1972 or 1973. And I believe the Seamaster caseback is correct. I had Mark III (a) with a Seamaster back.

Of course, Chuck had an article on this as well:

http://chronomaddox.com/SeM_on_SpM.html

Looks completely legit to me.

Thanks, that's an interesting read and something I loosely knew already (as outlined in my post above). I guess my main question remains... is this legit or a Franken watch, and does anyone have any opinions on the case being refinished or not. Right now it's a hung jury between @Donn Chambers and @flqt-9000

Actually between the late (great) Chuck Maddox the other poster — I’m just a messenger. And Chuck knew more about these watches than anyone I know of, so I trust him. And the fact he has a picture of a watch on that link which is identical to the one you are looking at seals it for me.

Regarding whether the case has been refinished… that’s tough to tell from the quality of the pictures. But if it was refinished I don’t see that it was polished — the common problem — and it still look brushed, as it should be.

This was not a common variant (likely only in a single market) and so you are unlikely to get a lot more info on it than what you already have.

Not to beat a dead horse, but my 176.0014 has a Seamaster back.
IMG_2470.jpeg
IMG_2472.jpeg

Mixed up casebacks are pretty common with Omega. I had a Seamaster 300 Big Triangle with a Speedmaster caseback.EA686E89-DC0D-4E47-9EBB-CC974A3304AD.jpeg

Thanks for all your help on this, I really appreciate it. As @Donn Chambers mentioned Chuck Maddox points to an example of this exact reference listed in the A Time Capsule Omega Speedmaster book (screen shot below) which @DLT222 had a copy of and sold back in 2014.

I can't seem to find any better shots of the page in the book where the watch is shown other than this terrible shot, but would love it if anyone has the book and would be willing to upload a photo of the page the watch is mentioned on and its associated caption.

Again, thanks for all your help, you're all very kind
Matt
Edited:

Known variant.