Forums Latest Members
  1. Dug Nov 4, 2022

Have been pondering for a good while now about purchasing a speedy, so thought a logical next ploy would be to ask opinion from the good and wise people on the forum, before possibly making an expensive mistake.
    Having read widely, mainly through the various review blogs, I am leaning toward a 3520.50 Mk40, although blogger's opinions do seem to be quite mixed. With my eyesight, though, the date pointer is definitely a tick in te positive column.
    I have tried one on, offered at a local jeweller's with a 3 month guarantee. It is in really nice condition but at £3450 appears to be a little high.
    I guess what I'm asking is, is a Mk 40 a good option and what would be a reasonable, ball-park price for one in good condition?
    Many thanks in advance

2. BarbVl Nov 4, 2022

In my opinion it's a very good choice..one of my favourite models from Omega. The price is to high .. I know that lately inflation rise the price all over the world but i think a good price would be near 2000-2500 Euro.

Dug likes this.
  3. gbesq Nov 4, 2022

I can’t opine on what a fair price would be, but as to whether an Mk 40 is a good option, the relevant questions are (1) compared to what? and (2) is it a good option for YOU.

Dug likes this.
  4. Dug Nov 4, 2022

Thanks....for comparison, I'm literally quite taken with the majority of speedmaster models, but particularly the Mk 40, but looking at the more 'affordable' end of the market generally.

5. bmpennington Nov 4, 2022

Price is highly dependent on condition and what country you are buying the watch in. People often say like new and this is not always the case.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 4, 2022

Mk40’s tend to be undervalued vs other similar pieces. There is no reason a speedy reduced is more expensive then a triple date aka mk40.

same size, better movement in the mk40 as well. Plus a much cooler watch.

Dug likes this.
  7. Dug Nov 5, 2022

Thank you, that's just the encouragement I needed....on to the hunt.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. asrnj77 Nov 5, 2022

Look to the land of the rising sun. More Mk40s than you’ll know what to do with

SpeedyPhill, watchyouwant and Dug like this.
  9. nitediver Nov 5, 2022

The MK40's are exceptionally cool and still comparably good value for money. A future grail watch in my opinion. Watches from the 90's are modern in its design and construction, available and still reasonably priced.

best,

Stefan

Dug and Foo2rama like this.
  10. Dug Nov 5, 2022

Good tip, have seen quite a few from over there.
    It's just the customs charges that puts me off....about 25% on top, to the UK.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Dug Nov 8, 2022

There are indeed.
    Even factoring in the customs charges and exchange rate those from Japan do appear to be a better deal than from within the UK.
    Have been looking at offerings from @Closer but an extra complication will be, with Japanese gentlemen seemingly having quite thin wrists, the addition of extra links.
    Every two forward, one back....tis what makes life interesting.!

12. Ham Nov 26, 2022

Any idea why they are so prevalent in Japan?

13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 26, 2022

Have a look at eBay UK for this one... Serviced and better growth potential... "
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER TV MEN WRISTWATCH REF:176.014 CIRCA 1975"
    Very good light blue/ grey metallic dial , long band, good service person chosen, box and paper. Sought after with a very good auto lemania 5100 base caliber. Good value growth potential. Only 14 hours to decide ! Be quick.

Edited Nov 26, 2022
  14. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 26, 2022

Everything under Pounds 3200 is a very good price. Might even add pounds 150 for the service ....

15. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Nov 27, 2022

Buy what You like... there're no bad choices :thumbsup:

Dug likes this.
  16. Dug Nov 27, 2022

Thanks for the heads-up but I'm looking for a speedy to wear, one I will like the appearance of on my wrist, not as an investment.
    Aesthetically these square TV watches do nothing for me I'm afraid....everyone to their own.

padders likes this.
  17. Enchanted Nov 27, 2022

Something looks fishy in that listing. The note says:

"Hello if You wanna Buy it Now the Price is 900 £ If you are Interested You can Contact Me Via Ebay or You can Visit This link Via Ebay :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255848616499Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network"

Are we talking about the same watch and seller here?
    Thanks

E.

18. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 27, 2022

Different watch. Different seller. The real one sold for pounds 2950.

19. kaplan Nov 28, 2022

I always wanted one for daily use, mainly a 3520.53 - but after vintage Omega's, it seemed too unbalanced for me, has too much height presence, without a bracelet, watch has it's own momentum outside your wrist - every time I see a post about it, I get tempted again though, it seems like the perfect utility watch

Priced dropped significantly when the recession scares were at peak but gained back again now

Dug likes this.
  20. Dug Nov 28, 2022

Thanks for your input, throwing some cons in but not stifling my enthusiasm....fixation syndrome!
    Guessing, from what I've read, that it is the thickness of the Omega 1151 / Valjoux 7751 movement that gives it the extra height. Perhaps more manageable on a bracelet but @worn n wound enthuses about a variety of straps for the 3520.
    Most advise slow and steady when on the hunt...shall try but I REALLY want one!;)