Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster cal. 1861 minute hand jumping early

1. valkyrie_rider Dec 6, 2018

I guess it has to do with what you value more: the precision of this individual watch X perfect operation of the chronometer.

Personally, when I want perfect precision I just wear my Seiko Marine Master 600 GMT with the Spring Drive caliber (i.e. 0.2s faster a day or 7s a *month*).

2. vbrad26 Dec 6, 2018

I vote 1.
    Because that is what I did, personally.

madjestikmoose and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Panych Dec 6, 2018

Please do nothing and enjoy the watch. In my opinion, this deviation is so negligible and common for the Moonwatch.

madmax1 and madjestikmoose like this.
  4. madmax1 Dec 11, 2018

Yes I know it could be adjusted, but after understanding that its a vintage caliber and how it works it doesnt matter to me. Maybe I will do it in 4 years before warranty runs out, then I get a free service as well, which I would then need anyway. By the way the last time I adjusted the watch was at my last post Thursday Dec 6. I adjust it with exact time (time.is) by the second. It now runs 12 secs early and I wear it every day.. thats really incredible :)

5. Dan S Dec 14, 2018

I don't think I'd mind the minute counter flipping over a few tenths late, but the BS being spouted by the AD would definitely bother me. You bought a new watch, under warranty, and when you go in to report a problem, they tell you that it's an old movement and you can't expect much from it. That's just obnoxious to me ... as if they're saying, "well if you hadn't been so cheap and had purchased one of our co-axial movement Speedmasters, then you'd have a decent watch that works properly."

It would be interesting to test out five of the co-axial Speedmasters in the same store to see if they perform any better.

FedFod likes this.
  6. nickwjd Dec 19, 2018

I had the same problem with mine (an early 2017 .005 moonwatch); minute hand completes the flip at the 59 second mark. I took it to my local boutique as it was still under warranty and explained the problem. They took it in and it was sent over to the service center, and returned to the AD about a week plus later. They replaced a single part (not sure what it is, but they provided the old one) and also performed a "partial service". It flips over correctly at exactly 60 now.

7. Dr. K Jan 13, 2019

Sorry for being a bit late here, but I had the same discussion with the Frankfurt Omega Boutique some time ago. While my 9 years old Speedy Pro does very well (stop minute jumps within a fraction of a second that is hardly noticeable for the human eye), both my Fois and 60th Anniversary Speedmasters noticably jump somewhere between second 59 and 60 (I would say 1/3 second early). They guy at the boutique told me this is within the tolerance of approx 1/2 second, although it seems odd to me given the Nasa certification and given that my Pro does not have that issue. However, we randomly picked three Speedies in the Boutique, and all of them had the same flaw. I do not know the reason for this, maybe Omega doesnt deem a thorough quality review necessary as enough people (including myself) will buy the Speedy stuff anyway, and in accuracy terms focus has shifted to the coax versions (I wonder how the new 321 will hold up). I am ok with this in the end, as it is sufficient for timing eggs
    Cheers

FedFod likes this.
  8. Theluglife Jan 13, 2019

my FOIS (1861) also flips over at about 59 seconds. A friend of mine with 4 speedy pros also checked his and they all did this as well. Here I was thinking that it is just a limitation of the movement but am very happy to know that it can be adjusted.

FedFod likes this.
  9. ryankelly Jan 4, 2020

Mine does that. Had never really thought about it.

10. vbrad26 Jan 6, 2020

If it is good enough for NASA, it is good enough for you to time your steaks on the grill.

FedFod and Foo2rama like this.