Forums Latest Members

Chrono minute hand jumping early on 3572.50

1. sleszyk Sep 29, 2018

Hi,
    I just got my first Speedmaster (excited!), it's a 3572.50 from 2002. It appears to be functioning very well except for one peculiar behaviour... basically, the chrono minute hands jumps around the 58 sec mark, a two full seconds early. I was wondering, is it something that can be easily corrected when I send the watch for servicing in the future, or more like a permanent imperfection of the movement? (NB, supposedly the watch has just been serviced by an authorised Omega servicer)

Thanks!
    Peter

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 30, 2018

This has been a big topic on forums over the last year or so it seems. Does it finish the jump at 58, or start the jump at 58? Where it finishes is the important part, so it will start to move before the seconds recorder hand reaches 12 in order to complete it as it reaches 12.

While the Cal. 321 has a direct adjustment of this, the Cal. 861/1861 family does not. There are some checks that need to be done (chronograph controls - these are listed in Omega technical documents) to ensure everything is right for proper operation of the chronograph in general, so those would be the first things to check. But if all of those are fine and it still is not jumping at the right time, then per my conversations with Omega, they next step is to replace both the seconds recording wheel and minute recording wheel, and "see if that helps" as the head of service told me not that long ago on the phone...

So if yours if completing the flip at 58 seconds, then I would expect it can be made much closer by changing some parts, but if it is within the second then sometimes it might help, and sometimes not based on what they have told me.

Cheers, Al

sleszyk likes this.
  3. Dedalus05 Sep 30, 2018

I spent the day obsessing over this issue. And taking @Archer's advice I looked around and found this thread here discussing what appears to be a common enough issue with Speedmasters.

For the record mine starts to jump at 58 seconds and seems to complete the jump between 59.5 and 59.8 seconds, so I decided to be magnanimous about it and not go waking my AD up on a Sunday morning.

D

sleszyk likes this.
  4. sleszyk Sep 30, 2018

Thank you both!
    Mine completes the jump at or just after the 58th second mark and starts about half a second earlier - so it seems to be worse than most. Looks like I should probably ask the seller to take it back to the servicer and see if they can fix it...

Much appreciated,
    P

Dedalus05 likes this.
  5. Super Fuzz Sep 30, 2018

My Speedy (a few months old) jumps at 59 seconds. I’m curious to know, other than people obsessing over perfection, how this actually impacts using the chronograph?

6. whitestripes Sep 30, 2018

i have a trilogy speedy that completed the jump at 58 seconds... they fixed it under warranty. it's unacceptable for a precision timing instrument

7. ATracyWatches Oct 2, 2018

If the end of the jump is happening at 58 seconds, parts don’t necessarily need changing. The finger that controls the jump which is on the under side of the chronograph runner can be moved to change the timing of the jump.

Omega reference this adjustment in their technical guide, however, they do not offer a solution.

You can use a 0.8mm screwdriver blade (preferably something softer) to move the finger around which controls the jump. It can be set very close to the exact 60 second jump.

sleszyk and Dedalus05 like this.
  8. sleszyk Oct 2, 2018

Thank you, that's very good to know - even if myself I wouldn't dare to attempt such operation!

9. Bp1000 Oct 2, 2018

My speedy pro completes the jump st 59.3 - 59.5 seconds. Both ck2298 are spot on. Those two run fast 2-5 sec. Speedy pro runs 5-8 sec slow :(

Really dislike slow running watches although the time keeping has nothing to do with the chrono mechanism

10. ATracyWatches Oct 2, 2018

I certainly would not recommend trying it yourself! However, my point was is it possible. Whether Omega claim it is or not is another matter. I have some great information from WOSTEP on how to make the precise adjustment.

59.5 seconds is accepted within tolerance, as there must be clearance in between the intermediate wheel and the finger on the chronograph runner. 58 seconds, however, is not acceptable and should be adjusted.

sleszyk likes this.
  11. ATracyWatches Oct 2, 2018

Sorry, I meant to say my point was it is possible.