Speedmaster Apollo Soyuz Meteorite 42mm / Box, Papers, Repairs

My father passed away a couple years ago and left me this beautiful limited edition Speedmaster Apollo Soyuz Meteorite watch.

Unfortunately, I could not find the box / cards + paperwork and the watch has some minor scratches / 1 ding mark on the sapphire crystal. The black material (I'm not sure what material this is) is also missing from the back of the watch. I'm based in the UK.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to walk in an Omega store and ask them to provide the missing cards? I'm guessing I would have to purchase the box online - is there a good place to find such boxes apart from ebay?

Would I be able to remove the scratches and ding marks myself using a soft cloth + diamond paste or am I just better off asking Omega to do this for me? Any ideas what they're likely to charge me? Am I better off asking any jeweller to provide this service? Same with the missing black missing material, would Omega be able to do this?

Apologies for all these 'stupid' questions. I've never owned such a beautiful watch before and want to make sure I'm treating it well to eventually pass it on to the future generation!

Many thanks for your help!
Edited:

You won't be able to polish the crystal yourself but crytals can be replaced inexpensively by a watchmaker.

Many of these lost the black on the caseback. Omega can replace it for you. Omega says they don't have boxes. Occasionally they pop up on ebay. There is a terrible condition one on there now that was likely a flipper of the same box that recently sold for half.

Whatever you do don't drop it. Those dials are more fragile than a normal dial and over 3k just for the dial.

They are a beautiful watch, heavier than a typical speedmaster so you feel the presence of something special. Contact Omega customer service. They might be able to get you a warranty card and pictogram. If you need an extra link they are common and can be purchased from Omega inexpensively.

Sorry about your father. I hope his watch brings you good and long-lasting memories.

You won't be able to polish the crystal yourself but crytals can be replaced inexpensively by a watchmaker.

Many of these lost the black on the caseback. Omega can replace it for you. Omega says they don't have boxes. Occasionally they pop up on ebay. There is a terrible condition one on there now that was likely a flipper of the same box that recently sold for half.

Whatever you do don't drop it. Those dials are more fragile than a normal dial and over 3k just for the dial.

They are a beautiful watch, heavier than a typical speedmaster so you feel the presence of something special. Contact Omega customer service. They might be able to get you a warranty card and pictogram. If you need an extra link they are common and can be purchased from Omega inexpensively.

Sorry about your father. I hope his watch brings you good and long-lasting memories.
Thank you so much for that great answer! Really appreciate it...

Edit: Omega just called and told me they would be able to replace the crystal as well as the caseback (40wk leadtime though!). Unfortunately, they won't be able to get me a new warranty/pictogram card which sucks but I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon so that's OK. Just a shame that I'll never get the complete set again!
Edited:

Edit: Omega just called and told me they would be able to replace the crystal as well as the caseback (40wk leadtime though!). Unfortunately, they won't be able to get me a new warranty/pictogram card which sucks but I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon so that's OK. Just a shame that I'll never get the complete set again!

Ask them if the caseback will have your same numbered edition. I heard that sometimes the replacement did not have the number. If it is missing, then you would still have the original, but it's a question of missing black with correct number or black with no number. Of course, if they include the number then you should be okay.

Good luck. Definitely also worth servicing with new lubrication. It's about 12 years since new.

Ask them if the caseback will have your same numbered edition. I heard that sometimes the replacement did not have the number. If it is missing, then you would still have the original, but it's a question of missing black with correct number or black with no number. Of course, if they include the number then you should be okay.

Good luck. Definitely also worth servicing with new lubrication. It's about 12 years since new.
Really good point again! Thanks!

The soyuz is one of the best looking speedmasters in my opinion, your father had good taste, and considering it is from your dad I would keep it in the family and never sell it.

After coming back from Omega it should look like new again and good for another 7-10 yrs before it needs another service.

Great watch. I would suggest you not do any DIY work on the watch. I had Omega service my Soyuz meteorite watch, primarily because like your watch, the black enamel on the case back was deteriorating (there should be all black enamel where the sun rays are). Omega replaced my caseback, with exact matching limited edition number, and told me they are using a new formula for the enamel which should not have the common flaking away problems of the original. So, I think having Omega service it is a good option if you intend to keep it; if you intend to sell it, I would just sell it as is and let the new owner decide what to do with it from there.

This is a good reminder to anybody contemplating an Omega watch (and most others, too) without paperwork, most manufacturers will not replace warranty cards or documents, they are a one shot deal. You can often buy an archival extract, but that's not the same.

Great watch. I would suggest you not do any DIY work on the watch. I had Omega service my Soyuz meteorite watch, primarily because like your watch, the black enamel on the case back was deteriorating (there should be all black enamel where the sun rays are). Omega replaced my caseback, with exact matching limited edition number, and told me they are using a new formula for the enamel which should not have the common flaking away problems of the original. So, I think having Omega service it is a good option if you intend to keep it; if you intend to sell it, I would just sell it as is and let the new owner decide what to do with it from there.

Thanks for a lot for the reply. Can I ask if the caseback replacement was included in the service cost or did you have to pay extra? Also did you specifically ask for the limited edition number to be retained or did they do that automatically? Thanks!

Thanks for a lot for the reply. Can I ask if the caseback replacement was included in the service cost or did you have to pay extra? Also did you specifically ask for the limited edition number to be retained or did they do that automatically? Thanks!

I recall someone did have a replacement as a warranty long after the warranty had expired - A watch like this is a watch for life, so it is a bit of a design fault. In a very polite way I would try to get it free as good customer service. There are some obsure consumer laws on inherent design faults which extend beyond warranty. As it is well reported it is an established issue.

I recall someone did have a replacement as a warranty long after the warranty had expired - A watch like this is a watch for life, so it is a bit of a design fault. In a very polite way I would try to get it free as good customer service. There are some obsure consumer laws on inherent design faults which extend beyond warranty. As it is well reported it is an established issue.

They wanted £120 for the caseback replacement which I thought was pretty decent...The people at Omega actually advised against replacing it as they said a lot of people prefer to keep the original part as it adds more value to the watch. Personally, I don't mind and prefer the look of a new caseback... Unfortunately they wouldn't budge on the price 🙁

While you may not have the original box or cards, you have the history of your father wearing this watch and putting miles and memories on it, which is far more valuable than the other pieces. I wouldn't worry a moment about those.

They wanted £120 for the caseback replacement which I thought was pretty decent...The people at Omega actually advised against replacing it as they said a lot of people prefer to keep the original part as it adds more value to the watch. Personally, I don't mind and prefer the look of a new caseback... Unfortunately they wouldn't budge on the price 🙁

I would not worry / seems a good (maybe discounted) price for a caseback like that. If you are paying for the case-back and or paying for a service they should be willing to return the original caseback as well - both remain your property? Worth asking.
Also you could consider getting an extract from the archives as an alternative to having the papers.
Extract from the archives | OMEGA® (omegawatches.com)

£120 sounds like an extremely good deal for a new case back, especially one for a limited edition such as this. I would expect if they were to replace any other LE Speedmaster case back it would be way, way more expensive. I would think that this low price can only be due to a clear production fault with the enamel.

I’d be surprised if they’d return the original caseback. LE parts are exchange only usually.

I’d be surprised if they’d return the original caseback. LE parts are exchange only usually.

I guess it avoids a Franken risk but not sure of the ownership / latent defect laws in this scenario- especially as they are selling the new part.

Sent you info via private message.

Any updates? Did you send it to Omega, get a new caseback?