Forums Latest Members

Omega Soyuz Meteorite -- should I buy?

1. Tintin Feb 1, 2017

I've been searching for a Soyuz Meteorite, I came across one that's missing the warranty, pictograms, and limited edition cards but has the special box and certificate That matches the limited edition number.

I can't decide if I should buy it or wait until a complete set becomes available. Looking for your opinions. If you think I should buy it, what's the discount that should be taken for not having the cards?

I've never bought a watch without the cards before, how important is it to have them?

2. zrleopold Feb 1, 2017

For a non LE they arnt super important, but for a LE like the Soyuz I would definitely want then full set.

Tintin and oddboy like this.
  3. repoman Feb 1, 2017

For me, an owner of a Speedyorite, I value the following, in order:

1. Condition of the watch itself, in particular the character of the dial, and the enameling of the caseback. The black enamel is known to flake off so look carefully for evidence of that. Does the dial have a lot of mineral like visual qualities, stripes and striations... the more the better. If its mostly flat without a lot of unique character, I'd keep looking
    2. Inner box. I absolutely would not buy this piece without the display box. It's not overly large, its pretty well built and has the nice mission logo printed on it
    3. Certificate. It's signed by Urquhart (correction: only signed by Urquhart)
    4. Pictogram/warranty card, and booklet. Honestly, I don't care about these very much

It's a great piece to own, good luck.

Edited Feb 1, 2017
    Bushido, Tubber, Tintin and 2 others like this.
  4. Tintin Feb 1, 2017

It does have a nice dial with lots of character lines. Will have to go back to check the enamel on the back closely. The presentation box is not in good condition with lots of flaking. The certificate is there but if I remember correctly, it's got only one signature of Omega's President but I could be mistaken.

5. repoman Feb 1, 2017

When looking for the enamel issues, look at the starburst, and at the bottom edge of the spacecraft, that's where I see most of the flaking start.

Omega can repair the enameling; you'll have to send your watch for a full service, and they will replace the caseback completely, with an identical copy, with correct LE number engraving and all. It's not cheap, but it is an option.

You are right on the signed certificate, and I am wrong... I was thinking of the 25th anniversary Apollo-Soyuz, which is signed by Urquhart/Stafford/Leonov.

Edited Feb 1, 2017
    Tintin likes this.
  6. aznblitzzz Feb 1, 2017

Id say go for it providing a decent discount could be had

Tintin likes this.