Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 3861 First Strap Change

1. Glederz May 6, 2021

Picked up the 3861 Speedmaster new a few weeks ago. Though I am more of a strap person, I bought it on the bracelet because of the economics of the situation which are covered well elsewhere. Will certainly be looking to pick up an OEM Cordura type strap with deployant in future, and probably an OEM nato also. Anyway, have surprisingly been really enjoying the bracelet which is a good fit, but all the while made sure I ordered a starter strap, but more importantly the correct tools etc.

From the forums went with the tried and trusted Watch Spring Bar Tool Bergeon 6767-F from here: https://www.hswalsh.com/product/watch-spring-bar-tool-bergeon-6767-f-6767f-hl6767f Also ordered a spare fork and pin end. Had electrical tape and mat at the ready. Here is the results:

Tool and tape worked well, though some patience required. The watch came through unscathed - thankfully.

IMG_7857.jpg IMG_7858.jpg
    frazierspa, AngelDeVille and Foo2rama like this.
  2. Glederz May 6, 2021

Also, I'd be keen to know from those more experienced, if people consider 1.2mm or 1.4mm Natos better for the Speedy. Meaning, does this watch head move about too much if installing the thinner strap, and is the 1.4mm thicker strap better to minimise this, or does it not make a difference with this watch.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 6, 2021

Imho it doesn’t matter. It’s having the correct width that matters, not thickness.

Glederz likes this.
  4. gdupree May 6, 2021

And here I am changing straps on my vintage speedy with a swiss army and a beer…

MikiJ and Glederz like this.
  5. Glederz May 6, 2021

Jeweller also recently advised me he used Swiss Army knife method. All in good time...

Enjoy the Beer!

MikiJ and gdupree like this.
  6. AngelDeVille May 6, 2021

She looks great on that strap.

so a swiss army knife isn't the preferred method?

a beer sounds good

7. s2000_driver May 7, 2021

Here's something to consider - the thicker the strap, the taller the watch on your wrist. The material matters too. You may want to try different ones to figure out what works best for your wrist. If you are worried about the watch head moving around on a thin strap, you can go 21mm wide instead of the usual 20mm.

Glederz likes this.