Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 145.022 69 ST with Red Center Chronograph Hand - information sought

1. PastorChris Jan 7, 2023

Good afternoon all. I did not see a forum for member introductions, forgive me if I missed that. That is the way I prefer to make my first post on a new forum.

I have posted a similar thread on several forums as I am interested and intrigued to find an answer about a Omega Speedmaster I was recently given.

It is a 145.022 69 ST from late 1969-early 1970. The movement serial number seems to indicate 1969 production and the 1039/516 bracelet is marked for the 2nd quarter of 1970.

The most interesting thing is the red center chronograph hand. Several long time members, with high post counts (I know that only really means that they like to talk) mentioned that over the years these have been infrequently seen and by all accounts are genuine from the factory. This makes sense given other things that I have read about production of these watches in that there are not a lot of very clear lines about what when on various references; a bit of overlap with things.

Under strong magnification, and I do not have the skill or the equipment to show this in photos, there is a clear consistency in the paint characteristics in the sub-dial hands ad the red center hand. The paint or lacquer appears slightly translucent and glossy. It also appress to have been of a thin consistency when applied and may have even been dipped to apply the color. What I see on this hand is that the surface tension of the paint cases it to be thin along the edges and thicker along the middle of the hands and around the tube. The fact that this is consistent between the white sub-dial hands and the red center hand gives me confidence that this was from the factory that way.

Anyway, I love the watch and the way in which it came to me and the person from whom it came, so it a legacy piece for me and will go probably to my youngest son at the correct time.I have no interest in it's market value, well made just a bit for insurance purposes LOL. And am not interested in selling it.

I have been compiling information about the watch and writing the history of the man who gave it to me and the details of our relationship together, all of which go with the watch and its original box/paperwork.

Here are some photos. I would appreciate any insight that can be offered IMG_3416 2.jpeg L1010307.jpeg IMG_3413.jpeg IMG_3415 2.jpeg

Edited Jan 7, 2023
  2. PastorChris Jan 7, 2023

BTW the bracelet has been another project. The original is much to short for me and I do not have extra links. I have slightly modified a Forstner flat link to take the original clasp and have also used the original 516 end links, and distressed the new Forstner parts to match the patina on the clasp and end links. The wrist shot above is a tractional stage. Here is how it looks now:

IMG_3443D.jpeg IMG_3442D.jpeg

SpdMastr likes this.
  3. 140dave Jan 7, 2023

I don’t think the red hand is original to the watch but I really don’t care, that dial is beautiful.

Fish70, iamvr, mancio and 4 others like this.
  4. PastorChris Jan 7, 2023

Thanks and just have to say, "best avatar"!

140dave likes this.
  5. pdxleaf ... Jan 7, 2023

Welcome. Here's a thread for new members.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-great-big-introductions-thread.20/

Regarding your red hand, based on the lack of paint on the center of the hour and minute hands, someone has messed around with the hands.

When looking for solutions, the most obvious answer is preferred. If I heard the sound of a neighing behind me, i would expect a horse and not a zebra. It is unlikely that there was one watch out of a production line that had a factory delivered red hand. No experienced collector would give it any value or credence. Meaning, the value and attraction of the watch is based on it being a 145.022-69 normal speedmaster. It's a special treat to know the origunal owner, especially if it came with box and papers. That and the overall condition are more intriguing than the red hand. Plus it has a 1039 bracelet and nice bezel. I do think the case was polished in the past during an earlier service.

The dial and movement show moisture damage. It needs a good service if you plan on wearing it.

It's a great watch to wear and continue enjoying.

Edited Jan 7, 2023
    Duracuir1, Larry S, Twocats and 2 others like this.
  6. 140dave Jan 7, 2023

I dont see any moisture damage to the dial? I see scarring & spotting on the black tension ring (I think thats what it is called) of the crystal but the dial looks clean and brown to me. But hey, I am not the best with pictures alone so I could be wrong, but the dial to me is very attractive.

PastorChris likes this.
  7. PastorChris Jan 7, 2023

Yes, the tension ring is a bit “flaky”, so it fits me well. That will get replaced when parts arrive from the UK. Along with a few other bits. All parts will be retained for posterity’s sake.

8. pkaye6 Jan 7, 2023

Gorgeous watch, have it serviced and enjoy!

PastorChris likes this.
  9. PastorChris Jan 7, 2023

@pdxleaf thanks for the link to the intro thread! You know, I have friends in Kenya who use that exact phrase but reversed for geography and local fauna! LOL.

southtexas and pdxleaf like this.
  10. pdxleaf ... Jan 7, 2023

You could be right. I am guessing moisture based on the movement that showed mosture ingress, with the assumption that moisture would have made it to the dial. If so, then that would explain the dirty and slighty green lume, as well as lifted the paint on the dial edge. As it dried, the raised paint would then flake.

Regardless, the movement looks like it could use a cleaning.

PastorChris and Spacefruit like this.
  11. Dan S Jan 7, 2023

Great color on the dial. Congrats and welcome.

Larry S and PastorChris like this.
  12. kaplan Jan 7, 2023

I don't know much about Speedmasters, but it's a fact that Omega experimented a lot, so definitely don't make any assumptions and take action, one day you could see an identical one and really regret taking action :)

PastorChris likes this.
  13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 7, 2023

Looks to me as though someone has simply painted over the entire hand, lume and all.

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 11.40.11 AM.png

Dug, sheepdoll, Albe100 and 14 others like this.
  14. kaplan Jan 7, 2023

In the Geneve line, they pretty much applied paint non-professionally so I don't think we can use paint quality and method to eliminate originality, this was my mistake here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/1966-matte-black-c-cased-constellation-a-good-re-dial.136285/ - I saw bubbles in paint and the sides of hands painted and thought it was the afterjob of a watchmaker

But obviously the Speedmaster line gets a much much wider attention and so much less likely that a rogue model avoided detection for so long - but it's still a possibility, no matter how slim, best to wait it out 10 years to be safe :)

PastorChris likes this.
  15. Dan S Jan 7, 2023

Yes, a factory hand would be expected to have functional lume that wasn't over-painted. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone decided to customize a hand for personal preference.

SpeedyPhill, Eve and PastorChris like this.
  16. PastorChris Jan 7, 2023

The flaking on what looks like the dial edge is the black coating on the brass tension ring. Though there is some coloring of the hammer on the movement everything seems to work well at the moment.

Dan S and pdxleaf like this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 7, 2023

Nice tropical fading dial.

red hand was added later.

tension ring has odd patina.

killer piece.

pdxleaf and PastorChris like this.
  18. timoss Jan 7, 2023

IMHO, the red hand—original not not—detracts from the overall aesthetic of this piece. I would replace it with a vintage original (and keep the red hand “just in case,” lol).

Fallout Boy, jjen and Foo2rama like this.
  19. jjen Jan 7, 2023

Seems unlikely to be original. I would like to see the evidence for this unusual claim

20. hansaboy Jan 9, 2023

Wellcome, and what I nice watch you have there!
    And its nice that you will keep it, and let it stay in the family.
    Since you have paperwork, and a connection with the former owner - doesn't he/she know anything about the red hand?

PastorChris likes this.