Speedmaster 145.022-68, The New Yorker!

Hi Forum Folks, Its finally Saturday and I have some spare time!

It has been a few busy weeks/months, but now I would like to share my latest Speedy!!

I have been looking for a ”cheeper”, not so perfect Vintage Speedy that I could use everyday!
At work, in the gym, working in the garden, boating etc without having to be excessively careful.

This one came up on an auction a few months ago, and I started to assess the watch (as usual).

Serial nr 26.55 mil, so that would be correct for a 68.

Applied metal logo and long hour indices
Proffesional on the dial
Nice and clean dial
lume plots have some loss
the hands look too white and the lume too even, so these must be replacements.
The bezel is a later service bezel (B3).
The case and caseback have the brushing visible and nice (but polished) edges.
There are of course marks/scratches and small dings..

Service pushers and crown.
Replaced crystal.
861 movement in a nice condition.

One owner, and serviced 2 times, there were also two bags of spare parts (pushers, crown, crystal etc etc…).

So most of the parts have been replaced during the services, but I really liked the watch!
And after some biding on auction day, I won the watch!

I am really pleased with this one, and I had it with me to New York, so now I have named it the New Yorker!

And if I ever get ”the itch” of wanting to have the watch more 68-isch, most of the parts are possible to find!

Cheers and have a Lovey Weekend!!

IMG_4177.JPG IMG_4174.JPG IMG_4176.JPG IMG_4175.JPG IMG_4172.JPG IMG_4171.JPG IMG_4162.JPG IMG_4166.JPG Skärmavbild 2023-10-21 kl. 14.48.14.png

Very nice Hansa…and an excellent choice as a daily “beater” Speedy!

I too recently acquired a less than perfect 68 ST (washed dial, replacement hands - oddly painted white, service pushers/crown) for the same purpose :).

I have a very nice original dial and tritium handset in my parts bin so am contemplating a restoration at some point…

IMG_2873.jpeg

Very nice Hansa…and an excellent choice as a daily “beater” Speedy!

I too recently acquired a less than perfect 68 ST (washed dial, replacement hands - oddly painted white, service pushers/crown) for the same purpose :).

I have a very nice original dial and tritium handset in my parts bin so am contemplating a restoration at some point…

IMG_2873.jpeg
Nice watch there!
And a beautiful bezel, be careful with that one...

And you have a spare 68 dial also - these are quite hard to find - congrats!

:thumbsup:

Nice watch. How much did this one set you back?
The price was nice, even my wife gave me the thumbs up!!
;)

All that matters is that it puts a smile on your face.
It truly does, but to be honest, any Speedy that I put on in the morning makes me happy!

Cheers!

Nice watch there!
And a beautiful bezel, be careful with that one...

And you have a spare 68 dial also - these are quite hard to find - congrats!

:thumbsup:

Thank you Hansa! Though it has some flaws, the case and bezel are nice so I felt I too got a good deal. It also came with an 1116/575 bracelet, though there is no date stamp to confirm whether it may be original or not.

The dial was definitely NOT a bargain lol. But given its rarity and my affinity for Transitionals, I couldn’t pass it up.

IMG_0672.png IMG_0675.png