Forums Latest Members

Speed master Moon Watch loosing time

1. pc360 Sep 7, 2019

Hi all, I’m new to omega and watches, I recently purchased a speed master moon watch and have noticed at least once per week it looses at least 5 minutes of time typically over night. When I wake in the morning the watch is still running and it will maintain the 5 minutes of lost time throughout the day. I took the watch back and had it replaced and now the replacement has the exact same issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I’ve looked online and can see the tolerances are between 1 and 10 seconds gain per day, but obviously 5 minutes over night seems excessive.

Also wanted to check the crown, is it normal when winding for the crown for it to spin in reverse after a single wind, there is an amount of back spin which I’m not sure is correct?

Thanks

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

Are you fully winding it once per day, to the point where the crown can't be wound any longer?

Yes, the crown turning backwards slightly is normal.

3. pc360 Sep 7, 2019

Thanks for your reply, I havent been fully winding it each day, would that be the cause? My assumption was because it was still running I still had some power in reserve? I would wind it approximately every two days (or just under)

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 7, 2019

Very possibly, so try winding every day at around the same time of day and see how the timekeeping goes...

rominvicta and astrand like this.
  5. rominvicta Sep 8, 2019

You have to praise your AD. Even If there would have been a problem mine would have repaired it and not exchange with a new one.
    Most likely there was no any kind of problem with the watch.

6. Duckie Sep 8, 2019

Agreed.
    When I first read the OP's post, a few things came to mind and that was front and center.
    Operator error appears to be written all over it on a number of levels.
    I also wonder if it's the OP's first analogue watch, let alone first manual wind.
    There's a few things we still don't know about the back story and I'm waiting for all to be revealed.

7. Dan S Sep 8, 2019

::facepalm2::

apsm100 likes this.
  8. Duckie Sep 8, 2019

Yes I read that.
    And it's the rookiest of rookie mistakes.

Given your MO.
    I assume you have had the occasion of resetting the time more often than you would otherwise like.

The 5 minute time frame piques my interest somewhat:unsure:
    Is it only after you have reset the watch?
    I ask this because it may come down to some operator error that's not contributed to by the inconsistent winding practices.
    In summary, is it possible you aren't setting the watch correctly even though you think it's correct at the time of setting it down?
    Then come the next morning, you are seeing the time that's set with a fresh set of eyes;)

I ask this because this is two watches in a row that have had the exact same issue.
    You are for the most part, the common denominator.

It's a bit like measuring something, marking and cutting it only to find it's exactly 10 or 100 mm out.
    Just something to consider:(
    It happens::facepalm1::

rominvicta likes this.
  9. Evitzee Sep 8, 2019

^^^ Bingo!!! The chances of getting TWO watches with the same problem is somewhere between nil and none. I'll bet OP is just putting a small amount of power in the mainspring in fear of breaking something and getting a lousy rate. I've seen other newbies do the same thing.

Edited Sep 8, 2019
    rominvicta likes this.
  10. pc360 Sep 9, 2019

Thanks all for the replies, really appreciate it, yes this is indeed my first manual wind watch. I can confirm the time is definitely set correctly so I’m sure thats not the issue. My AD told me there was a 48 hour power reserve in the watch so I’ve been winding it approximately every 1.5 days, so when I saw it drop 5 minutes after less than 24 hours of fully winding it (I have been winding it until I cannot wind it any further) that raised my concern and as the watch was still running when I noticed the time drop I assumed that the watch still had some power left in it. Can I assume that if the watch is running it should still be keeping good time or can I expect slow downs to occur before the 48 hours are up?

If there’s anymore information I can provide please let me know. Thanks again.

11. Duckie Sep 9, 2019

Interesting.
    All I can say is that in my entire time on this earth, I have never seen a watch regularly loose in the vicinity of a 5 minute increment overnight when nearing its end of power reserve.

I shall conduct an experiment on all my other watches to determine if I can replicate the phenomenon.

12. gostang9 Sep 9, 2019

The concept of a 48 hour power reserve is a bit misleading. You might think it means running and keeping good time from the start to end of the power reserve cycle. However, the actual time-keeping accuracy of an Omega Speedmaster starts to decline after about 24 hours. I have a simple cheap time grapher and did a study to understand just how the Amplitude and Rate changed on my 1861 movement. See the graph below... it's why the best practice is to wind your watch fully at about the same time each day.

Speedy rate and amplitude change over time.JPG

Martin_F likes this.