Forums Latest Members

Speed master 9300 vs the manual wind moon watch

1. nima0071 Jan 16, 2014

What do you guys think comparing the omega speedmaster 44mm 9300 vs the manual wind moon watch?

it's double the price tag on the 44 mm 9300 movement worth it over the original speedy moon watch?

Just some thoughts? What do you prefer? Or get?

2. ctime3 Jan 16, 2014

Two year warranty on the manual Vs. A four year on the 9300. Similar looking but the 9300 will last you longer. It has a bullet proof movement: 9300, co axial, and Si14 hairspring. 9300 has the sapphire. Even though it is larger than the manual it wears well. But I do like the hesalite on the manual wind. It magnifies when you look at it. Downside it scratches easier. But my baby carried it when she was crawling on the kitchen floor and no scratches. I do have some tiny scratches but unnoticeable when you look at it. I do like the fact that the manual is the closest modern worn on the moon. You will have to sercive the manual wind more than the 9300. The manual has no date and the 9300 does at six o' clock. I do miss that feature when I wear it especially at work. I have that and the anti mag seamaster. The moonwatch is my favorite. It is very comfortable to wear with anything. I aM deciding on a third omega and I am clueless. I want to stay away from the seamasters. Maybe a speedy '57 or the 9300. There is something about the speedy's people say I really don't think you can go wriong with either. At the end of the day my opinion is the 9300 will last longer and the date, size, and crystal make it a winner. I would choose the 9300 in stainless or the platinum and pick up a moonwatch from Kringly on here from Kringly. We should talk more about this on email since we are both in the same boat.

oMenRC51 and dirkpitt73 like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2014

I'd get the moonwatch (and did, 3 of them in fact) but I'm biased, these are both cool watches, you're winning either way.

4. Superdoc Jan 16, 2014

Hey....Don't leave the rest of us out of this discussion...I am Agonizing over the speedy dilemma as well...

I've never been so torn...the only thing I know for sure is that I "need" a speedy!

I do love the lemania movement with display back --such a beautiful movement....Really like the moonphase (aventurine dial) - although I'm not convinced that the dial is worth that many more thousands than the non-aventurine moonphase....

The 9300 is a sexy movement -- still may go Darkside...but only if i can get an integrated croc strap with PVD'd deployment...
    Then again, the SS 9300 on croc with deployment is a killer too...and a relative bargain...but too much like the PO8500 as far as wrist presence goes..

The '57's are great too....the one thing about the Omega cases, is that with the tapered lugs the 2-3mm difference in sizes don't make much difference on the wrist...

(would still love a Soyuz if anyone could get one!)

dirkpitt73 likes this.
  5. Wheels Jan 16, 2014

I have a Moonwatch and never considered going with a modern equivalent. That's not to say that modern doesn't have it's merits, they've been beautifully summed up by the second poster. The original Moonwatch just has more soul, if an inanimate object can indeed have soul. The warmth of hesalite and the ritual of winding are just two of the things that remind you that you are wearing a piece of history on your wrist.

OzO, omega1234 and TLIGuy like this.
  6. Midiman Jan 18, 2014

For what it's worth, I initially picked up a Speedmaster Date as I wanted the sapphire crystal, date, and automatic movement. I found that I always regretted not going for the Moonwatch, so about a year ago I sold the Date model and picked up a '71 Speedy Pro. It's much more comfortable, I love wearing a watch that's more connected with the history of that particular model, and I find myself wearing it nearly every day, much more than my Submariner. Short answer - I say go for the Moonwatch!

persco and cicindela like this.
  7. ctime3 Jan 18, 2014

I agree. I tried on a lot. I find myself wearing the speedy pro 42mm 3570.50 more than my anti mag aqua terra. I like them both. But my favorite is the speedy. Very comfortable too.

8. Midiman Jan 18, 2014

You clearly have much more common sense than I do as you went directly for the 3570.50. I should check in with you prior to my next purchase!

9. ctime3 Jan 18, 2014

Thanks for for the compliment. I actually had the 9300 for a little while and exchanged it. I just wanted the closest to the real thing. But I have gone back and forth so many times.

10. Midiman Jan 18, 2014

Well nima0071, have we persuaded you to go with the Moonwatch?

11. persco Jan 20, 2014

I plan on getting the 3570.50 in June this year. For a brief period I thought I wanted the newer versions (the 9300 or 8500) but the more I thought about it, the more it bothered me that they were quite removed from the authentic history of the Speedmaster. So I will get the 3570.50. It's a classic and iconic watch. The modern and other various special editions just aren't the same for me. I just know I'd end up selling off the other to get this one anyway.

Good luck with your choice.

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2014

Go manual if you get the PO first. Otherwise, your choice.

13. epsomearl Jan 22, 2014

i went with the moon watch and don't regret it one bit. My daily wear is a 12 year old seamaster but the speedie goes at weekends and special occasions but it always stays on

14. nima0071 Jan 23, 2014

i am going with the moon watch in end of may this year. thanx guys

OzO and persco like this.