Speaking of classic cars, I need suggestions...

Anyone have experience with others brands such as MG, Jaguar, Volvo, etc.?

I have quite a bit of experience with British sports cars. MGs and Triumphs are both easy to work on mechanically, have very spartan interiors by today's standards, and have terrible electrical systems. Jags are rolling pieces of art, with some really well engineered engines, and have terrible electrical systems.

I'll jump on board the Miata band wagon. I daily a 96 1.8 and it is a wonderful little car. All the spirit of my old British sports cars but with a 5th gear, a top that doesn't leak on you in the rain, and an electrical system not tainted by the Lord of Darkness.

10k is tough for what you want in CA.

outside CA in the 76-80 range for obvious reasons (to you and me) there are options.

an e36m might be findable at that price and not be a maintenance queen.
A 10k 2002 is going to have needs.

might want to start lurking on BAT and Carsandbids

but 10k fun and reliable are not the exactly things that go together.

how mechanical are you?

Thanks for that info. I've been eyeballing a couple of MGs in my neck of the woods but I think they might be a bit small for my waist size.

I'm on the stocky side at almost 220 lbs. I'm also taking into account the occasional times the missus and daughter will want to ride along so that rules out the 2-seaters.

The main contenders right now are
Mercedes 3, 4 or 5 series sl or sedan
BMW E30 although from my days with the E32, I remember problems with bad electronics and brittle plastic components

10k is tough for what you want in CA.

outside CA in the 76-80 range for obvious reasons (to you and me) there are options.

an e36m might be findable at that price and not be a maintenance queen.
A 10k 2002 is going to have needs.

might want to start lurking on BAT and Carsandbids

but 10k fun and reliable are not the exactly things that go together.

how mechanical are you?

I grew up as a gear head and grease monkey. I'm not afraid to get dirty or do my own work up to a full engine rebuild.

My ideal situation is finding a car with a non-running or blown motor but otherwise in mint condition.

I currently have a good, reliable car. I'm not in a hurry and this will be for a fun/side project more than anything else.

I see what you're saying - I've started looking around but very few satisfy the eye candy criteria. Although I've seen a couple of cars in my target price range, it looks like I'll need to be patient or expand my budget

It's getting more difficult, but I bet you could find a decently clean E30 within your budget.
A 'vert would be cool!

_img900.jpg

But check out this website for some ideas:
https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/
I check their inventory (for literally no reason) every month or so.

Caution, many body parts of the BMW E30 differ from the saloon, e.g. front wings (you would believe that they are the same as of the saloon, they are not) are virtually unobtainable.

A decent one for 10k? No, you will have to invest a lot for ending up with one in condition 2.

A more recent proposal would be a first generation Mercedes SLK or Chrysler Crossfire (same plattform). They are amazingly cheap, even good ones, and would perhaps fit in the budget.

In any case, with a 10k budget for buying you will have to be prepared to attend to mechanical and cosmetic issues youself. Otherwise you will likely pay the purchase price once again for this and that in the next few years.

A few years ago I bought a BMW 8501 (E31) for a bit short of 30k. Really nice, absolutely original, low milage (confirmed) and with full history. I nevertheless spent about 8k for parts and most of the weekends of one winter for a "really large service", wherein all parts were renewed, which might create problems in the near future due to age. Now I can be sure that in the next decade normal service is all I will have to do, with no further expenses than fluids, filters, etc.

Good luck hunting,
Bernhard

I'm on the stocky side at almost 220 lbs. I'm also taking into account the occasional times the missus and daughter will want to ride along so that rules out the 2-seaters.

I saw your post just after posting, then a SLK is no option, for both reasons 😉.

A 560 SEC would indeed be a good proposal.

I had three 280 CE W123, you can find them with sun-roof, leather, el windows and ABS!
Also automatic or 4gear-box . There are walnut-applications inside. Take a look at some pictures at google.
Valid prices at: mobile.de

actually my personal favourite is: BWM E21 323i prices here in Europe at 20.000 Euro

The main contenders right now are
Mercedes 3, 4 or 5 series sl or sedan
I'll reiterate my belief that the W116 is a beautiful and underrated sedan.

Here’s my v12 XJS. So I’m biased. And it’s possibly for sale…for the simple reason that it doesn’t have rear seats and I have a young daughter….
I’ve owned over 100 cars including 8 XJS models. I love them.

I'll reiterate my belief that the W116 is a beautiful and underrated sedan.

I keep gravitating towards MB. I found this beauty locally - $11K asking price but I'm not sure if I want to get into the added effort of dealing with a convertible. W116 or W124 are strong contenders so far

Here’s my v12 XJS. So I’m biased. And it’s possibly for sale…for the simple reason that it doesn’t have rear seats and I have a young daughter….
I’ve owned over 100 cars including 8 XJS models. I love them.

I've always liked those but I'm in the same boat as you. Also, just about everyone I know that's owned a Jag says they are a reliability nightmare

I've always liked those but I'm in the same boat as you. Also, just about everyone I know that's owned a Jag says they are a reliability nightmare

That reminds me of a Jeremy Clarkson saying that everyone should own an Alfa Romeo at least once in their life, the same might apply to a Jag but with all the fun removed! Replaced by hard slog and vast expense to keep it roadworthy!

I also have a 1986 560SL which is a great reliable runaround…and I did the bench seat conversion in rear so my daughter can ride around in it - although she prefers her own SL currently.

I keep gravitating towards MB. I found this beauty locally - $11K asking price but I'm not sure if I want to get into the added effort of dealing with a convertible. W116 or W124 are strong contenders so far
Great cars! See above. Look out for timing chain issues. Rust in bulkhead. Convertible top probably useless unless replaced. But it’s manual so less headache. Otherwise there is a reason I call mine the Panzerwagen… the build quality is superb.
Good color on that one too. 560 a great engine.

Find a low miles 2016 Volvo XC70 Polestar model. Love mine, power, ride and will go anywhere.

the Ford period and later reliable.

Buy them used with a PPI and let someone else eat the depreciation.

2004 X350 XJ8 - 200K, transmission

2008 X358 XJ8 - 200K, transmission

2004 X350 XJR - 130K still have this one

2017 XF 35t - 80k current

Great cars! See above. Look out for timing chain issues. Rust in bulkhead. Convertible top probably useless unless replaced. But it’s manual so less headache. Otherwise there is a reason I call mine the Panzerwagen… the build quality is superb.
Good color on that one too. 560 a great engine.

I'm really vying for this one - so far it's my #1 pick. It does state that it has the double-row timing chain, so it looks like it was upgraded. Another area of concern is that I read that this model was subject to a recall campaign for cracks in the front suspension’s lower control arm mounting points. Lastly, I'm second-guessing whether I want to deal with a convertible.

Find a low miles 2016 Volvo XC70 Polestar model. Love mine, power, ride and will go anywhere.

I already own 2 Volvos and have had 3 total. Reliability aside, I have learned that they are quite expensive to maintain and the most minimal malfunction requires a trip to the dealer to be plugged into VIDA - it adds up quick. My first Volvo was a 2000 S80 T6 and as soon as it went out of warranty, repair costs went through the roof. I currently have a 2021 S60 and a 2022 XC90 that are both still under warranty - I don't think I'm up for owning another one that's out of warranty. Good suggestion nonetheless - thanks.

Lately I've been pondering adding a Mercedes W204 into the mix - more modern, state-of-the-art tech & practical...

Buy them used with a PPI and let someone else eat the depreciation.

2004 X350 XJ8 - 200K, transmission

2008 X358 XJ8 - 200K, transmission

2004 X350 XJR - 130K still have this one

2017 XF 35t - 80k current

Aaahhh, tempting, tempting...