Speaking of classic cars, I need suggestions...

Well I sure would like one too. But

I'm sure you know the buts.

In one cash-starved start-up I worked for our CFO had a 635 purchased while working in more successful businesses. He just couldn't give it up despite the drain on his finances. What kept the 635 on the road that he had a wife working in a job that was not subject to the boom and bust of the computer software business.

Now there's a thought. If you want to drive money-pits have a spouse with a steady job and no interest in cars.

Or watches.
The 635 shouldn’t be too much of a money pit with a decent Indy shop in today’s era, the M30 engine is super well understood and just about bulletproof as are the manual boxes from that time, the electrics are pretty simple and most of the AC system you can have replaced with modern parts (compressor, condenser in particular) for better performance and reliability. Even if you get sick of the at times faulty fuel injection system there are aftermarket systems that can be easily fitted. It’s a pretty solid choice.

One other choice that works very well is the BMW E34, probably one of the most reliable BMWs ever made, quite nice modern interior but classic exterior looks and a great choice of engines including M20 / M30 / M50 / M60 with many manuals available.

Anyone have experience with others brands such as MG, Jaguar, Volvo, etc.?

I've had experience with them all and in that list I would suggest a Volvo 740 Turbo. They are super chic, quick and built like tanks. One of the most reliable Volvos you can find and a nice one would fit in with your budget, vocation and clients. You can still pile the family in it sometimes as well. .

Well I sure would like one too. But

I'm sure you know the buts.

In one cash-starved start-up I worked for our CFO had a 635 purchased while working in more successful businesses. He just couldn't give it up despite the drain on his finances. What kept the 635 on the road that he had a wife working in a job that was not subject to the boom and bust of the computer software business.

Now there's a thought. If you want to drive money-pits have a spouse with a steady job and no interest in cars.

Or watches.

Oh, believe me - I know exactly what I'm getting into, while throwing every ounce of common sense into the wind!
I have owned my fair share of European cars (and others) that have taught me this lesson very well. I have gone through:
1988 BMW 735iL (E32)
1990 BMW 735i (E32)
1991 BMW 750 iL (E32)
2000 Volvo S80 (biggest money pit of them all, by miles)
2002 Mercedes C320 (W203)
2005 VW Jetta
2008 Mercedes E350 (W211)
2016 Mercedes E350 (W212)
2021 Volvo S60 (wife's current car)
2022 Volvo XC90 (my current car)

On the non-European side:
1956 Ford F-100
1972 Datsun 510
1979 GMC Sierra Classic
1989 Toyota Corolla GT-S
1989 Chevrolet Cavalier
2001 Nissan Maxima
2004 Acura MDX
2005 Toyota 4Runner (most reliable car ever)
and I'm sure there's a couple that don't come to mind

and I'm still begging for more punishment. Wife is a domestic engineer.
On the sunny side, I'm quite adept on doing just about all maintenance and repairs and have the tools to do it.
Watches - that's another beast on its own, and I'm just getting started on the luxury end... God help me!
Edited:

I love driving and i have driven many powerful cars.
The only car that still makes me smiling and gives me too many emotions is the Miata / MX5.
Rear wheel drive, LSD (torsen), weight less than 1000kg and double wishbones front and rear,... all of them in a low budget pack.

I own 2 Miatas, one NA 1.8cc and a NB 1.6cc.
If i could afford another one car, i would only buy another one NA.
It is a future classic and i believe it's going to raise value soon...

I may have told this this story before, so apologies if I have. Our software company was entertaining some visitors from Germany, I do not remember if we wanted to sell something to them or they wanted to sell to us. Anyway my boss, who I'd worked for in two previous businesses, thought that in order to impress them we could take them to lunch in my new Lotus rather than his reasonably roomy Audi 2000 saloon. He thought he had been OK at at bit over 6 feet tall in the back of my car and pressed our visitors into there. They were a touch taller and I could see in the interior mirror that they they were not too much impressed. But I had ridden in the back of an early Porsche 912 years before, and even at my shorter height and years younger was very squashed.

Moral: Make sure you can fit in at least two big clients....
SMH. Germans are all about practicality.

I love driving and i have driven many powerful cars

Aside from my ridiculous career as the driver for a touring drag race team, the most powerful and scary car I ever owned and drove was a 1972 Porsche 914 that in off hours the race crew cut, gutted, braced and installed an aluminum headed full-race Chevy 427 V8 with a 911SC transaxle and flipped ring gear. The car was basically undriveable. We eventually pulled the 427 as it was overkill and popped in a mildly worked-over 327 which at least made the thing tolerable.

Aside from my ridiculous career as the driver for a touring drag race team, the most powerful and scary car I ever owned and drove was a 1972 Porsche 914 that in off hours the race crew cut, gutted, braced and installed an aluminum headed full-race Chevy 427 V8 with a 911SC transaxle and flipped ring gear. The car was basically undriveable. We eventually pulled the 427 as it was overkill and popped in a mildly worked-over 327 which at least made the thing tolerable.

Sounds like a helluva driving experience!

Given the limited budget, what about a Jaguar XJS V12 ?

That's an interesting option - although I like the older one with round headlights better.

Those will give an aspirin a headache. Way too much going on under the hood.

I've seen a couple that they transplanted a Chevy 350 engine into - could be an interesting project.

I love hearing about your racing days... it’s so dreamy. 🙄

Get yourself an older AMG E63 Station Wagon… Voila!

Oh, that would be something!
But with all the talk of MB discontinuing their V8s and even V6's and California phasing out gasoline engines, price of E63s have gone through the roof! If you can find one for sale to begin with.

300ce would be my vote, or if you’re into wrenching and modifying an E21 would come in at that budget.

Good luck!

Might have to stretch your budget a bit but you could likely find an early model Porsche Boxster for $10-15K, or a 90s Lexus SC400 - not the most exciting design but good performance and more reliable than most of the other neo-vintage cars that have been mentioned.

For under 10k… I’ll also vote for an E30. You can still get them in good, daily driver condition and there are enough around that you can actually shop around if you’re willing to do a broad search. Also, they are easy to work on and the websites like Turner Motorsport, ECS, Pelican, etc. have plenty of parts, cheaply available. This comes in handy because it’s not just the things under the hood/car that need replacing, but all the dinky stuff as well (think weather seals, interior door handles - and their covers, trunk struts, antenna mast motors, etc.). And while I’m sure those parts can be found for all the models mentioned in this thread, I know for a fact that it’s easy to get them for an E30. And I’m a bit biased of course 😉

You should be able to find a Z3 in your price range:
08b201f595e9400da035bbcce210e3f5.jpg

Oh, believe me - I know exactly what I'm getting into, while throwing every ounce of common sense into the wind!
I have owned my fair share of European cars (and others) that have taught me this lesson very well. I have gone through:
1988 BMW 735iL (E32)
1990 BMW 735i (E32)
1991 BMW 750 iL (E32)
2000 Volvo S80 (biggest money pit of them all, by miles)
2002 Mercedes C320 (W203)
2005 VW Jetta
2008 Mercedes E350 (W211)
2016 Mercedes E350 (W212)
2021 Volvo S60 (wife's current car)
2022 Volvo XC90 (my current car)

On the non-European side:
1956 Ford F-100
1972 Datsun 510
1979 GMC Sierra Classic
1989 Toyota Corolla GT-S
1989 Chevrolet Cavalier
2001 Nissan Maxima
2004 Acura MDX
2005 Toyota 4Runner (most reliable car ever)
and I'm sure there's a couple that don't come to mind

and I'm still begging for more punishment. Wife is a domestic engineer.
On the sunny side, I'm quite adept on doing just about all maintenance and repairs and have the tools to do it.
Watches - that's another beast on its own, and I'm just getting started on the luxury end... God help me!

You haven't really known punishment as yet as there are no Fiats or Lancias in the list!

Stay away from a 12 cylinder Jag unless you are unconcerned about reliability.

You should be able to find a Z3 in your price range:
Do you have have a grudge against @EuroDriver ? Most expensive horrid thing I've driven, perhaps equaling some of the ultra-cheap second hand horrid horrid things. Like a severely used Ford Cortina Mk 3. Yes, that horrid!
08b201f595e9400da035bbcce210e3f5.jpg
Well perhaps not quite. I was too scared to drive it much over my dad's Cortina's cruising speed but the heater was better.. NB I tried the Z3 in August.

I love driving and i have driven many powerful cars.
The only car that still makes me smiling and gives me too many emotions is the Miata / MX5.
Rear wheel drive, LSD (torsen), weight less than 1000kg and double wishbones front and rear,... all of them in a low budget pack.

I own 2 Miatas, one NA 1.8cc and a NB 1.6cc.
If i could afford another one car, i would only buy another one NA.
It is a future classic and i believe it's going to raise value soon...

I sure hope you’re right!

Yes, that’s Jay Leno. Audrain Museum event, Newport, Rhode Island.