Forums Latest Members

Some have been to the Moon, this one has been around the World!

1. Enzo Sep 13, 2020

Thought I would share the story of a watch I purchased a couple of years ago.
    It is a mark 1 type of the Heuer Autavia reference 7763C, which has the earlier case and smaller teeth on the bezel. My research leads me to believe this watch dates to the latter quarter of 1969.

So why the title of this thread?
    This watch was owned and worn by British Author, sailor and Sculptor Adrian Flanagan who achieved the first ever single-handed vertical circumnavigation of the globe.

The watch was purchased second hand some 40+ years ago from a jewellery shop in the foyer of the Hong Kong Hilton hotel. Adrian was around 16 years of age at that time and had bought the watch to consolidate a promise he made to himself that one day he would sail around the world.

40 years or so later, his dream would become reality and he became the first lone yachtsman to sail Vertically around the world. His vessel was called Barrabas, departing on his Alpha Global Expedition from the Hamble river on 28th October 2005 and arriving back on the 21st May 2008, having travelled a total distance of 30,825 nautical miles.

Adrian only had a few items of personal nostalgia aboard Barrabas, two soft toys to symbolise his children, a Rolex Explorer II which he was given as a wedding present and which he kept on Universal time throughout the voyage, and his Heuer Autavia serial number 113,258 which he kept on local time as he made his way around the world.

His amazing journey, and timeless and unique story is captured in a book (a signed copy of which accompanied the watch when I bought it) which I have read and enjoyed.

Here are a couple of pics:
    Enzo_Autavia_1.jpg
    Enzo_Autavia_2.jpg
    Enzo_Autavia_3.jpg

Some General Watch Details:
    Model – Autavia
    Case reference – 7763C
    Case Material – Stainless Steel
    Case Size – 40.25mm excluding crown. 40.75mm across the bezel
    Case Back – SS Compressor type snap-back
    Dial / Registers – Black / White
    Hands – Polished steel with luminous inserts, White chronograph second hand.
    Bezel – MH (Minute, Hour) or T (Tachymeter)
    Crystal – Plastic
    Movement – Hand wound Valjoux 7730
    Date Introduced – 1968
    Serial Number ranges – 112xxx, 113xxx

And finally a wrist shot from this morning:
    Enzo_Autavia.jpg

crl848, AAAKK, buramu and 13 others like this.
  2. bradurani Sep 13, 2020

Wow... how did you come to acquire such a cool piece?

3. Enzo Sep 13, 2020

Watches of Knightsbridge had it in at least one auction and it did not sell...
    I saw it on chrono24 and got in touch with WoK, we worked out a deal and I was very happy when I went to collect it from their offices.

Zapatta, DaveK, pdxleaf and 3 others like this.
  4. jaguar11 Sep 13, 2020

Congratulations!!!! Looks great and what a nice story.

Enzo likes this.
  5. buramu Sep 13, 2020

That’s really awesome!

Enzo likes this.
  6. bradurani Sep 13, 2020

Amazing! A bit of history on your wrist

Enzo likes this.