Forums Latest Members

FS SOLD! Rare Vintage ZENITH Dealer Display CHRONOMETRE!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 22, 2018

As some seasoned collectors know, during the post war period of the mid 20th-century, up through the 1950s at least, watch retail shops often displayed highly accurate and decorative clocks that were used to display the correct time to passers-by. These clocks served the dual purpose of advertising the manufacturer of the clock, and, on a much more practical level, giving the local population a reliable way to accurately set their own wrist and pocket watches.

Remember, this was not only pre-internet, but few people owned televisions, and radios were not ubiquitous, either. So these "Exact Time" clocks served a very real and useful function.

Some collectors, myself included, find such clocks to be very attractive and interesting, and, especially given the typical fine quality of the movements, highly collectible. They aren't cheap, and there are good reasons for it. Not only are they high quality, historically interesting clocks, but relatively few were manufactured, and even fewer have survived and found their way into the open market.

As I own several such clocks, and am slightly downsizing my collection, I am offering this rare ZENITH CHRONOMETRE for the first time. the clock is different from most in that it is marked "CHRONOMETRE" on both the housing and movement, and employs a large (clock) movement that is very closely related to those found in high-end marine chronometres. Most dealer display clocks, in contrast, employed large pocket watch movements, though to be fair they were also typically of high quality, and quite accurate as well.

The clock measures approximately 15.5x15.5cm, and 7cm in height (including the feet). It is in excellent condition throughout, and functions properly. The only notable flaws are a few small signs of wear on the vertically brushed, gilt face of the housing. The dial and hands are near-mint. Although I did have my watchmaker open the case in order to photograph the movement, it has not been serviced, and I would certainly recommend one should the new owner choose to use the clock on a regular basis.

As you can see from the photos below, the gilt finish movement, cal. 262, is finished with a lovely type of perlage, and shows the same serial number in three distinct places, including the back plate of the dial. It is in excellent condition. To underscore the close connection between this fine movement and those used in the Zenith marine chronometres (cal. 260), you can view an example of the latter through this link, and see the similarities:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/cal-260-chronometre.6980/

The movement employs a 54 hour power reserve, as the indicator on the dial shows. Interestingly, and in contrast to some other manufacturers, Zenith chose to display this function so that the indicator reads "0" when fully wound, and "54" when spent.

Some of these dealer display clocks employed 8 day movements, but I think it fair to say that it would be more difficult to maintain high accuracy over such a long period.

The movement also features a hacking function, operated from the back.

Prices for good vintage dealer display clocks typically range from around $1500 to $3000 or more, depending on the type, manufacturer and condition, etc. I ask $1850 or NRO for this ZENITH, and will include EMS (express) shipping from my home in Portugal at the asking price. I can accept bank transfers in either the EU or U.S., and Paypal is an option as well.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Regards,

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. aap Oct 22, 2018

What a beauty!

Tony C. and valjoux72 like this.
  3. WhatYourWatchSay Oct 22, 2018

This is definitely something you don't get to see everyday. GLWTS Tony :thumbsup:

Tony C. likes this.
  4. yako54 Oct 22, 2018

Wow! :eek: If I would be more into Zeniths this would have been gone already::love:: Stunning piece Tony! GLWYS!

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 22, 2018

::love::

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 24, 2018

Thank you for the kind comments! Serious offers considered...

JohnSteed likes this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 26, 2018

Bump before offering this rare clock to a wider audience...

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 31, 2018

SOLD! Thanks to the OF, and the new owner!

Vitezi likes this.