So, I sold my Speedmaster

Thank you for making me feel not as lonely in my hatred of the Speedy- dinner plate strapped to my wrist, flat slab-o-metal. If they had turned the lugs down a touch it wouldn’t be so bad, but it just cantilevers over the sides. And stick hands, stick indices, sticks, sticks, sticks- probably my least readable chronograph on the fly (while walking briskly in a dimly lit space (hallways at work) with farsightedness- can’t see a fucking thing but a blur of sticks. That said, I’ve owned mine for 22 years (before I knew how watch should fit) and it’s been through hell and back with me so it’s a keeper and it’s a cool looking watch.

If you want a chrono that’s more modest in size, not vintage, so reliable and waterproof, and has the vintage vibe, look at the new Nivada Chronomasters - they offer them in both manual wind and automatic, with bracelet or on strap- a variety of colors and options. Several members here have them and love them.

And for the money you got back on selling your speedy- also check out their Antarctic and Depthmaster options.

Thank you for making me feel not as lonely in my hatred of the Speedy- dinner plate strapped to my wrist, flat slab-o-metal. If they had turned the lugs down a touch it wouldn’t be so bad, but it just cantilevers over the sides. And stick hands, stick indices, sticks, sticks, sticks- probably my least readable chronograph on the fly (while walking briskly in a dimly lit space (hallways at work) with farsightedness- can’t see a fucking thing but a blur of sticks. That said, I’ve owned mine for 22 years (before I knew how watch should fit) and it’s been through hell and back with me so it’s a keeper and it’s a cool looking watch.

If you want a chrono that’s more modest in size, not vintage, so reliable and waterproof, and has the vintage vibe, look at the new Nivada Chronomasters - they offer them in both manual wind and automatic, with bracelet or on strap- a variety of colors and options. Several members here have them and love them.

And for the money you got back on selling your speedy- also check out their Antarctic and Depthmaster options.
Ah, James finally comes through with his "wears like a dinner plate" Speedmaster evaluation. I've been waiting for it since this thread was started. I can relax now. :D

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions, I’m thinking a vintage or new vintage inspired chrono may be top of the list. I’m more 60’s and 70’s rather than 50’s and I’m not a fan of patina, I like tip top condition, the search continues 👍

😁, you’ve a great turn of phrase and fair play for sticking it out, I hope I don’t end up with sellers remorse.
I recently got myself an Antarctic and I am impressed with the finish, a chronometer is definately an option.

😁, you’ve a great turn of phrase and fair play for sticking it out, I hope I don’t end up with sellers remorse.
I recently got myself an Antarctic and I am impressed with the finish, a chronometer is definately an option.
If you do decide a speedy is in your future again, the plain Jane speedy’s from the early 00’s can be had in the $3-3.5k range.

This one before it's completely gone off the Omega catalog. it's 38mm:

IMG_0503.jpeg

I'd probably look for something that is very different than what I already have if I owned multiple watches.

look at the new Nivada Chronomasters - they offer them in both manual wind and automatic, with bracelet or on strap- a variety of colors and options. Several members here have them and love them.
Sadly not in stock on their website but very well priced!

Sadly not in stock on their website but very well priced!
Plenty on the used market- eBay and watchrecon are your friends. And still new enough they haven’t been fucked up yet…we hope

Thanks all, I just happened to come across this at a good price, 70’s vintage chrono, very much an impulse buy but I really do like these, so still a big chunk of change left, I’m enjoying this😁F510E9A4-B7D9-429E-8871-2AD6A0384502.jpeg