So, I sold my Speedmaster

How could I, well after 2 years of ownership of of my Omega Speedmaster 3861 hesalite where I tried to persuade myself that I liked it, I’ve come to the realisation that I never really will. For sure I respect it’s history and design, indeed that’s why I bought it in the first place, but for me it’s too big, too flat, too dull, it’s like wearing a flat black saucer on my wrist and as a result it’s just not getting any wrist time. I’ve come to realise that I needed to let it go, no point in keeping it just for the sake of ‘every collector should have in in their collection’ so it’s off to a new home.
I didn’t take too much of a bath on it and therefore I now have over €5k burning a hole in my pocket and no idea what to spend it on, fortunately it will be on a watch or watches, just which ones I’m not sure, what I do know is it will likely be 36 to 38mm, a certain vintage aesthetic possible, maybe one watch or a few micro brands, or vintage pieces.
So much choice.
I already have a diver - SMP300, three vintage constellations, a couple of vintage Eternas, a couple of grand Seikos, one vintage, a Zenith El Premiro and a couple of Seikos one vintage and one new, so fairly diverse tastes there. I don’t have a GADA so one possibility is a 38mm Aqua Terra, for example.
What I would like to ask the collective mind here is what would you buy if you had over €5k of watch only spend available right now? would it be one or a few, vintage or new, mainstream or micro? I know everyone has different opinions but I like different and what I am hoping for is some inspiration.
Thanks OF, looking forward to being inspired.😁

A nice vintage chrono.... The one which makes you look at your wrist every minute, and makes appear a smile each time.
Enicar?

I now have over €5k burning a hole in my pocket and no idea what to spend it on
That’s a rather nice problem to have!

You say what you already have, but not what you really like. So what do you like? It feels like there are lots of parameters that could be refined before suggesting models!

A nice vintage chrono.... The one which makes you look at your wrist every minute, and makes appear a smile each time.
Enicar?
I love a vintage chrono , certainly on my list, thanks

That’s a rather nice problem to have!

You say what you already have, but not what you really like. So what do you like? It feels like there are lots of parameters that could be refined before suggesting models!
It is a nice dilemma, my problem is that I like so much from a simple vintage 3 hand to a 70’s chronograph and most in between, that’s why I left the parameters vague, to encourage a brain dump of suggestions

😂 I don’t have a lawn….
Why did you buy a Speedmaster then? :D
I own a Speedmaster and even then I pay a bloke to mow my lawn......mind you he was meant to do it today but didn't turn up.....his Speedie must be at the watch doctors!

Thought this was gone
Nope, thought I was going to keep it but another shiny bauble has come along.
Have to pay the piper😊

I love my Aqua Terra golf edition cal 8500 from 2014. Vertical teak dial is better than newer horizontal pattern IMO
If you want 38 mm the Skyfall is good option. Blue dial is very nice. IMG_0823.jpeg

@BAJJ I felt a bit similar when I picked up my first Speedmaster (from 2014). It was kind of dull. A vintage ('67) was an improvement, thanks to the more pleasing lume color. But what worked best for me was the LEs, which typically have more 'interest' built in. The Tintin is my go-to -- the red and white checkered track really improves the aesthetic. And the reverse panda of the #ST1 is also a big improvement to me. I was drawn to the Snoopy editions and Alaska as well, but missed the boat on those. Sadly Speedmasters with interesting dials are all $$$ these days..

Go crazy - think outside the mainstream. Get a Glycine Airman. Just make sure it's a purist (none of that GMT nonsense 😉)

Glycine_.jpg

I love a vintage chrono , certainly on my list, thanks
Look in the 1940 and 50`s for inspiration !
20240621_161526.jpg

Congrats for freeing yourself from a watch you didn't care for!! Cheers!

too flat, too dull, it’s like wearing a flat black saucer
Sounds like you just gotta spice up that saucer with a red & white racing pattern ;)

IMG_6903.jpeg

:D