Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. 10mmauto Aug 28, 2018

And I can do the .41 mag thing too!
    IMG_1923.JPG

Waltesefalcon, Mtek, voere and 3 others like this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 29, 2018

Yeah. 10mm is appreciated here.

I love the Mountain Gun configuration. Four-inch, tapered barrel, comes chambered for various good, no great cartridges which are all over .40 caliber. Stainless steel for those who cherish the low maintenance characteristics. The revolvers have fine balance and "point where they look."

So why haven't I ever had one?!!!

10mmauto and MikiJ like this.
  3. Professor Aug 29, 2018

Exactly like that, could be a photo of mine its so nearly Identical.

After I got it, along with a partial box of ammo, I called every store and gunshop in this end of the state with no joy and finally when out shooting with a friend he stopped by a gun shop to buy .22 RF for his rifle and I spotted a lone box of .25-20 on a shelf. Price at that time was 48 bucks and change for a 50 round box.
    A friend who owned a surplus store found three loose vintage lead bullet cartridges in a junk drawer and gave them to me, never tried shooting those.
    The jacketed bullet rounds I have are pinpoint accurate, each round went in the same ragged hole at 50 yards, and judging by the effect on green wooden branches it hits like a .357 Magnum hollow point. Though I think energy level is around that of a 9X19.

I'm sure it would do for the smallish Tennessee Whitetails, but not quite enough for Mule Deer or the larger Northern Bucks. Shot placement of course makes all the difference.

Mine has the DT'ed holes for mounting the proprietary receiver peep sight.

4. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 29, 2018

You'd find another 4" S&W Model 57 in my wife's night stand and a Glock 30 in her car. She can shoot :)

When I was in the tavern business and getting home in the wee hours of the morning she wanted something stout enough to go through the door if someone came a callin' in the middle of the night. Her logic was simple: Why take a chance on opening the door at 3am?

10mmauto and noelekal like this.
  5. Wryfox Aug 29, 2018

Model 29 5 inch, a rare variety...and with heavy porting. A delightful smooth trigger. Zero muzzle rise, and I mean zero, even with heaviest loads. The most steady wheelgun I own.

Note: another crappy inventory pic. I really gotta get new pics of the collection.....
    S&W M29.jpg S&W M29 Ports.jpg

Mtek, voere and 10mmauto like this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 29, 2018

Cool Wryfox!

Never seen porting like that. Pretty severe porting it is too. Looks like termites or woodpeckers got a hold of that barrel. Bet a heavy charge of Blue Dot or Unique, put up in a .44 Magnum handload, would really "light things up" when fired through that revolver.

Pretty certain I've never seen a 5-inch full-lug barrel before. Has to be an uncommon variant.

Edited Aug 29, 2018
    Wryfox likes this.
  7. 10mmauto Aug 29, 2018

I have never seen porting like that! (But I have seen the full lug under 29's and 629's. I've always had an affinity for the full lug since they came out with the "L" frames.)

8. ArtVandlay Aug 29, 2018

I’m seeing all these large calibers and thought I’d share something different, as my first post, here is my Walther PPQ-M2 (.22) with a Thunder Beast 22L-1. Normally I run CCI mini mags but with Aguila Subsonic’s it’s silly quiet. I use this suppressor on an AR15-22 as well as a Marlin 17HMR. Also, I love the diversity of this sub, watches, guns, cars, fishing, photos, all fantastic. 7FF9A393-5D79-44C5-A5F5-406978E0EDCC.jpeg

Edited Aug 29, 2018
    voere, larryganz and noelekal like this.
  9. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 29, 2018

Meager 357
    upload_2018-8-29_8-34-54.jpeg

Mtek, Waltesefalcon and voere like this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 29, 2018

Meager .357?

If one stays away from this .357 "lite" ammunition that has crept onto the market and stays with traditional factory loads or else uses full-power handloads, the .357 Magnum is a potent revolver cartridge.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  11. larryganz The cable guy Aug 29, 2018

Speaking of suppressors - I have an old photo of my Beretta 22 with Gemtech Outback II. I didn't have a good camera back then and haven't taken a photo since, but still have it. The Beretta wasn't very reliable with a suppressor after a few rounds of dirty .22LR ammo, and I moved to a Walther P22 soon after (which works great). Strangely, I have tons of photos of headphones and watches, but almost none of my firearms, so...

beretta suppressed.jpg

My Glock 23 is set up to run both 9mm and .22LR in addition to 40 S&W. I have a threaded barrel in 9mm with 9mm magazines to use it with my AAC EVO-9 suppressor, as well as a .22 conversion kit with threaded barrel to use my Gemtech Outback II .22LR suppressor. I should have bought an AAC EVO-40 suppressor instead, and it would have worked with both 40 and 9mm, but with 9mm the EVO-9 would be quieter.

glock suppressor kit.jpg
    glock 3 caliber kit.jpg

Here is one of my DPMS/Daniel Defense registered SBR with AAC M4-2000 suppressor. I just discovered that my AA batteries in the Eotech 512 holographic sight were greasy and dead, and with new batteries it wont power up. It's not like they leaked or anything (no white caked on material), but I don't know what's up and will have to take it to my gunsmith to see if it can be resurrected. Fortunately I have backup iron sights. The suppressor on a 16" barrel is just way too long.

IMG_4844.jpg

lcolors1, The Father, voere and 2 others like this.
  12. ArtVandlay Aug 29, 2018

@larryganz great collection you have there. I think you mentioned in a post you are in Colorado, have you had a chance to get up to Cheyenne and visit with the guys at Thunder Beast? I've been toying with the idea of grabbing a Silencerco for my XD40 but Im thinking my next pickup will be in the .30 range as any noise suppression while hunting elk and deer would be welcome.

13. larryganz The cable guy Aug 29, 2018

Just don't forget you'll still hear a supersonic "crack!" when firing with a suppressor, but it could still be "hearing safe" depending on the caliber and load.

I have been to a few silencertalk forum meets, but not in years, and I also use to visit "Dragon Man's" range and store where they sell full-auto and suppressors. Mel the owner has a crazy collection as well, and it was his wife that sold me the Gemtech Outback II before she died in a tragic RPG accident.

14. ArtVandlay Aug 29, 2018

@larryganz Ill be in Denver in 2 weeks and after just checking out Dragon Man I will be making the drive down to the Springs to visit the store, it looks crazy.

15. larryganz The cable guy Aug 31, 2018

Let me know what you think. PM me if you want to meet up somewhere, but frankly I'm a little wary of driving out to dragon man again after some idiot at the range was not careful about which direction he pointed his rifle when the range master wasn't looking, multiple times. I upped and left, rather than complain and anger a guy with a gun.

ArtVandlay likes this.
  16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 31, 2018

Nothing meager about a .357
    This one is used for home protection. Simple to use plus everyone in my family knows how to use a revolver. Just point and shoot. This one is a tad over polished. However it works great for a handgun that beats around my home. I'm fond of the bead blasted finish but with that finish every small nick or scratch shows up. The hand polishing is good enough for this S&W/

20180831_061717.jpg
    Edited Aug 31, 2018
    10mmauto, noelekal and The Father like this.
  17. Professor Aug 31, 2018

The .357 is the most useful all around caliber in my book, though I've only owned .38 specials I've fired enough magnum revolvers owned by friends to see both are as good as it gets as far as accuracy and handling go. The ability of the magnum to handle the lighter .38 Special loads is a great plus. Also the magnum can be handloaded to match the best .38 target loads or cranked up to bear medicine levels if need be.

voere and noelekal like this.
  18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 31, 2018

Looks nice polished up. I have a hard time really accepting the appearance of the stainless steel firearm. I know it's popular with everybody else and that stainless steel is valued by most for its trouble-free maintenance. I just like good ol' blue steel and walnut.

Here's the 2 1/2 Model 66 on hand here. The very best way to do compact .357 Magnum revolvers are the K-Frame Combat Magnum Models 19 and 66 with 2 1/2-inch barrel and round butt.
    [​IMG]

Mtek, voere and MikiJ like this.
  19. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 31, 2018

Recently "offed" my 2 1/2" Model 66 for the new Glock 43 9mm.
    Unfortunately my 66 was just too heavy to keep in my pocket.

voere likes this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 31, 2018

I also like a blue steel revolvers M19's one blue & pinto.

m19.jpg
    Mtek and noelekal like this.