Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. ras47 Jul 30, 2018

Ooh, that Confederate Colt is another favorite of mine.

2. 10mmauto Jul 30, 2018

Actually, my airsoft range doesn't get as much use lately because I have been using these - SIRT (shot indicating, resetting trigger "laser") pistols. You can make the training very realistic and they are great for trigger control, sight alignment, and target transition. Looking for something to do in the hotel room or sitting while watching TV? This is it. (Exercise discipline. I make it a point never to have a loaded weapon in any room where I use these.) But of course, they are very safe. They are non-functioning and cannot possibly chamber a round. They are only what they say - every time you pull the trigger, a laser is emitted. You can get red or green (green is better in bright light/daylight.) I also have a unit that fits in my AR so I can practice rifle. No need to pull the slide or cycle the action. In both the pistol and the rifle, the trigger resets every time. There is software available - there is even a free app - that you can use in conjunction with the guns that monitors the laser and makes a gun noise and target noise for every shot and records shot placement. I use these for anyone I introduce to shooting and they are great to diagnose problems.
    IMG_1540.JPG IMG_1541.JPG IMG_1543.JPG

Professor, voere and noelekal like this.
  3. Wryfox Jul 31, 2018

Found this little deal last weekend at the flea market....was looking at holsters and he had a demo gun in the holster I liked....I joked with him by asking if the gun came with the holster.....he said, well, for the right price.

So I found the right price....

(but there's a dirty little secret...can you tell?)
    20180730_153001.jpg 20180730_153253.jpg

voere, Professor and Rowdy like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Jul 31, 2018

The ejector is out of alignment?

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 31, 2018

What?!!!

It's a six-shot revolver with a five-shot ejector?

6. Rowdy Jul 31, 2018

Python.jpg I have a Colt Python with 2 1/2" barrel which was made in 1964. I wish I had the original box for it. Trigger pull smooth as butter.

Edited Aug 2, 2018
  7. Professor Jul 31, 2018

Its a BB gun.

8. Professor Jul 31, 2018

There were infrared emitting pistol target sets marketed before the Laser was invented. Not much range but they worked. The targets had photovoltaic electric eyes like those once used as burglar alarms.
    IIRC these were very hard on batteries and didn't last long if kids got hold of them.

10mmauto likes this.
  9. larryganz The cable guy Jul 31, 2018

I count 6 shots on the ejector and cylinder.

noelekal likes this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 31, 2018

Your right Larry. I'm a retired banker. I can't count.

Need any assistance reconciling your checking account?

11. larryganz The cable guy Aug 1, 2018

That's okay, it was an optical delusion.

12. Professor Aug 1, 2018

I realized I need new glasses when last night I picked up a pack of "Smoked Ham Steaks" and thought it said "Smoked Hamster".

Longbow and Waltesefalcon like this.
  13. Wryfox Aug 1, 2018

Regardless of whether you can count to 6, or just 5.....:taunt:

It's actually the finest replica I've ever seen (and for a No 3 no less). Identical shape, size, weight. Action functions the same, ejector, etc. Wood grips. Screw in side plates. It even has a real hammer spring and retention screw. Absolutely amazing, and looks like a million bucks. It even has a script serial number on the butt.

But alas, not a mfr mark anywhere!
    20180730_153110.jpg

Edited Aug 1, 2018
    Professor, voere, Mtek and 1 other person like this.
  14. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 1, 2018

AR15’s Forward assist

I’m looking at a upper receiver that does not have the forward assist feature. I have been shooting and tinkering with the AR platform for many decades.

It has been my experience that the forward assist is not needed. When I had an issues with the bolt not closing or a stuck round banging on the forward assist has always made matters worse for me

I found just clearing the round was the best option. Since the AR I plan on using the upper receiver on is a range toy. I see no issues not have the forward assist.

Any thoughts??

noelekal likes this.
  15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 1, 2018

Noelekal

Just chalk it up to a parallax view. I have trouble counting when I run out of fingers and toes I'm up SH$$ Creek

noelekal likes this.
  16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 1, 2018

Regarding ARs with forward assist:

I've been shooting an AR 15 since 1988-1989. I've never had one with forward assist and have never missed it. Not even once. If I had one and a cartridge failed to fully chamber I'd never utilize the forward assist, preferring to clear the round in favor of another. This would especially hold true if the rifle was being used in emergency conditions.

Was the forward assist ever a boon to the AR 15 user? I've never seen one used on the firing line of high-power matches. Perhaps there are folks there who give a recalcitrant cartridge a nudge in order to fully chamber it. I've just never witnessed it. In the military? I just don't know. Is it good tactics to fool with a cartridge that didn't chamber? I know I would not mess with it. Flick it otta there!

voere likes this.
  17. Ranger230 Aug 1, 2018

Wilson Combat sells one as do some other mfgs. Brownells would be where I’d search if your looking for one without F/A.

voere and noelekal like this.
  18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 1, 2018

Here's my small issue. On my latest AR build I have the Hera IRS rail on it. This was a parts build I made use of items I had laying around. To take full advantage of the Hera rail. I am locked into a Hera upper receiver. The pictures show the tab on the rear of the rail. That tab locks into the Hera upper receiver. The rail fits fine on a mil spec receiver.

However it would be nice to make use of the features of the hera receiver and rail. That would give better positive anti rotation on the rail. Since these rails have been around five or six years. I imagine the stock is starting to dry up. They make a receiver with the forward assist but those are out of stock.

The pictures show how the rail locks into the hera receiver.

hera.jpg HERA-2.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  19. Wryfox Aug 1, 2018

I understand it was a special forces reqt that ended up as a std change to all (among a few other things) for the A1 version. The purpose was to slow load the chamber for stealth (ie instead of the spring assisted chwang!). It was not to *force* closed the bolt(as for dirt or sticky round), though I imagine it was probably used that way in the heat of it...and universally regretted when done so.

voere and noelekal like this.
  20. Professor Aug 1, 2018

Some specialized out fits use carbines without the forwards assist and are trained that if the weapon jams they are not to try to clear it but immediately go to their sidearm. If there's a lull in the fight later then they can deal with the jam.
    I'd read about this in relation to hostage rescue and certain guards for nuclear material transport. Don't know if this is still the case.

voere likes this.