Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Wryfox Jun 28, 2018

All right....they didn't like my last idea anyway:

"Florida, its everything you hate about New York, but hotter"

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited Jun 28, 2018
  2. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 16, 2018

I have not seen this thread in awhile. What is your preferred summertime carry. Here's one of mine, everything I need and nothing I don't

20180716_143512.jpg
    noelekal and Mtek like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 16, 2018

Hi voere;

My brother-in-law is as bad a gun nut as I am and has a collection that may even be larger. I'm more into the tried and true classic, traditional handgun designs hence few modern "plastic" guns are kept on hand. B-I-L is catholic in his tastes and has one of everything. Despite "trying and buying" most of the handgun models brought onto the market over the past 25 years, he persists in carrying a Kahr just like yours. It does shoot very well and he can really wring it out accuracy-wise.

I need a good holster for a CZ 75 BD I've been playing with for a couple of years now. Something like yours, carrying the gun high and with a nice forward cant.

I generally like an OWB (outside waist band) holster of leather construction which will effectively tote a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson or else the full-sized Colt Government Model .45 automatic. Even though now legal in Texas I don't participate in any sort of public open carry, choosing to carefully and fully conceal the side arm always. For me OWB carry means a covering garment is required. Coming from a career banking environment, this was no problem that a suit coat or blazer couldn't handle. Just a shirt tail for covering a side arm leaves me feeling unsatisfied. I can get by toting a 2-inch revolver or a compact automatic beneath an untucked shirt tail but don't often choose that method of carrying. This Triple K holster does a good job of properly concealing a favored Colt Detective Special beneath an untucked shirt. More often than not though, the "Dick Special" goes into an IWB (inside waist band) holster or else into a pocket holster in the right front trousers pocket.

[​IMG]

I most often carry some rendition of this arrangement, being a full-sized handgun in some sort of leather holster that carries the gun fairly high and with a forward cant. Posted the following on a couple of firearms forums on which I participate. Discussion topic was gun belts and I was featuring my favorite belt. I'll just paste the comments here.

Took photographs this weekend and this morning of the favorite belt here. It's a custom belt crafted for me by Robert Dorris out of Southaven Mississippi. 1 1/2 inch wide it is and well capable of properly supporting the side arm, no matter how heavy the gun is. I'm "livin' the dream" and really do prefer the heavier all-steel handguns designs from bygone times for "serious social purposes." Belts like this allow a person to properly tote anything he desires in perfect comfort. Belt and holster matters when it comes to carrying firearms of "pleasingly substantial" proportions, the kinds of handguns one would really want to gun fight with if "push comes to shove." This belt has been in use since 2014 and is perfect for automatics such as full-sized steel-framed 1911 guns or medium to large revolvers.

I have a black and a brown gun belt, both no-name models of indeterminate age and now-forgotten origins. Fashion still dictates that I occasionally wear the black one when the wardrobe choice is black shoes, the brown one seeing occasional duty afield on hikes, but both are comparatively saggy-baggy, especially the brown one. Saggy-baggy doesn't do well at keeping the gun properly oriented at the waist. Saggy-baggy renders long hours of toting a bit of a misery.

[​IMG]
    Did gun show security this past weekend and toted a 1953-54 vintage Smith & Wesson. A really "big iron," it was one of the large N-Frame revolver models, a 44 oz. .357 Magnum with the 3 1/2-inch barrel, the old FBI configuration of an era since long past. The revolver was later known as the Model 27. Holster is 50-60 years old as well, a custom O. F Ball model. Both are still serviceable and provide perfect satisfaction. Photo taken 4:49 AM Sunday morning in between reading and watching DVDs. Oh and drinking coffee and yawning, lots of yawning. I really like this revolver and holster combination!

Here's the belt this morning with the holster and the revolver, still smudged from weekend toting use. The cylinder alone on this revolver weighs more than some of the Smith & Wesson Airweight J-Frame .38 Special revolvers. Using a quality belt seems to somehow "spread the load" in the wearing of it. Back to back 18-hour stints of toting the revolver as well as cinching up cargo pants full of back-up pocket-holstered all-steel Smith & Wesson J-Frame, reloads for both revolvers, as well as cell phone, pocket knife, pocketed flashlight, wallet, and comb finds the belt to always ride properly and remain comfortable for the duration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ammunition selected is Remington 158 grain .357 Magnum. This holster with its cant presents the revolver very quickly and this revolver settles on target effortlessly and shoots heavy .357 Magnum loads with laser-like accuracy (well ... at least to my best abilities). I like to say that shooting the big revolver double-action with heavy .357 Magnum loads is like "driving a Cadillac with power steering."

Edited Jul 16, 2018
  4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 16, 2018

C86732CD-ECD1-4501-B2A8-3E12C822B040.jpeg DB237666-EB05-4602-AC55-6BCB601CF0E1.jpeg
    Glock 19 G5 on my person. Should I forget I have a Glock 19 G2 in the console of the truck. Mainly use them in case I see a varmint squirrel that needs pokerizing.

Edited Jul 16, 2018
    voere, noelekal and Mtek like this.
  5. McKinley Jul 16, 2018

@noelekal I agree with everything you say in this post, ie it's old fashioned wheel guns for me. I don't open carry cuz it scares some people, even though it shouldn't and I am not trying to advertise the fact I am carrying. I can't imagine carrying that N frame for 18 hours, so it is also a DS for me or the little 5 shot J-Frame from S&W. My only niggling point is I prefer my Federal ammo. Remington is dirty stuff in my opinion, and Federal is a more consistent load and never seems to have flyers. We all have our own ideas though. Again, I get the feeling we should sit on the porch some evening talking firearms, watches and sipping good whiskey. Texas is a purdy far haul from Maine though. Keep carrying, Friend. The world needs more of us, even if they don't realize it yet.

McK

Edited Jul 16, 2018
    noelekal likes this.
  6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 16, 2018

I do well at porch sittin'. And you never know about me. I'm liable to show up in Maine. Totin' too.

A long walk out to the Rockland lighthouse in in the rain, May last year. Didn't look at all like it would rain when we began the jaunt.
    [​IMG]

http://rocklandharborlights.org/webcam.html
    We love Maine!

Edited Jul 16, 2018
  7. McKinley Jul 16, 2018

C'mon up, there's whiskey, a couple of collections to show and I want to hear your stories.

McK

noelekal likes this.
  8. Mtek Jul 16, 2018

@noelekal you look like a good guy that turns out to be the villain in a movie. :thumbsup:

noelekal likes this.
  9. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 16, 2018

Hah Mtek! My wife ... can you believe it?!!! My wife says that I have shifty-looking eyes. Me! Pure as the driven snow!

In my opinion I just look soggy in that photograph.

Mtek likes this.
  10. Mmike1357 Jul 16, 2018

My latest toy, picked it up a few months ago. A blast to shoot, not acarry piece though...hard to tell but it is battleship gray 181B5383-3F94-4C9A-BB51-67E5FCBB3128.jpeg

GBTRIUMPH, larryganz, voere and 2 others like this.
  11. GBTRIUMPH Jul 16, 2018

This is not correct at all. The poster needs to learn what the laws are and retract this statement in its entirety.

larryganz likes this.
  12. GBTRIUMPH Jul 16, 2018

Even a .22 subsonic with a suppressor fitted to the firearm still has a small firecracker "crack" to it. Suppressors save your ears mostly.

Edited Jul 18, 2018
  13. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 17, 2018

You posted very Nice revolvers and leather gear.

Speaking for myself I'm a fan of leather holsters and belts. Most of the time I carry IWB. Inside the waist band carry makes it much easier to conceal my handguns. I can conceal a handgun with an untucked shirt without printing

A good holster and holster belts are must have items.

Most of my holsters are from various makers. I have a few inexpensive holsters but those I use on hand guns that are not carried very much. I use them more or less for range practice.

I'm a big fan of revolvers however for everyday carry I prefer a semi auto pistol. They offer a slimmer profile and for myself are more comfortable to carry.

Holster belts and good holster designs are often overlooked. Some people purchase a great firearm and tote them around with bad holster designs and belts that are not designed to properly support a firearm.

Most of my holsters and belts are black in color. I have some brown and cordovan holsters. Since most of the time I carry iwb I have no issues carrying a cordovan or brown holster with a black belt, with the holster tucked into my pants you do not see the color of the holster.

Normally I purchase a new holster belt about every two to three years. I have holster belts from various makers. The last belt I purchased online from AG holster belts. Some holster makers make nice belts but have belt buckles of their own design. Although very nice but make it just about impossible to change the buckle type Ken Null's belts is one that comes to mind.

AG makes a great belts and the cost does not break the bank. I have one of the AG horsehide belts with the kydex insert. The belt will support any large firearm heavy with ease. I'm in the market for another holster belt I will purchase from AG again.

If I'm wearing a shirt untucked I have no issues wearing a black belt with brown shoes or boots. At one point in my life I was a clothes horse. Always in fashion now not so much. Since I'm retired most of the time I'm wearing Levi's.

I get dressed up for some events like the Sunday go to meeting "church". Or out for the evening with my wife.
    My wife cracks me up if we are going out and if I'm wearing Levi's and a nice shirt or sweater. She will look at me and say please do not wear that.

I just grin and bear it. And I cave in and will wear a suit or sport coat. My wife is still a clothes horse and dresses very well which I have no issues with. I enjoy having my wife on my arm well dressed and lookin good

Ken Null makes holsters for CZ's check them out you may find one you like. Any of his holsters I purchased are top shelf holsters. Plus I am very happy with his holsters.

Edited Jul 18, 2018
    noelekal likes this.
  14. Mmike1357 Jul 17, 2018

Another day at the office...
    03F10B13-F0D7-494D-9160-40E4D678351C.jpeg

voere and larryganz like this.
  15. Wryfox Jul 18, 2018

New Sig 556...yummy. With 2nd amendment mag to boot.
    20180718_142630.jpg

propervinyl, cicindela, voere and 3 others like this.
  16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 18, 2018

17. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 18, 2018

C95A6899-4565-4AE1-88A8-B8D942BF02AD.jpeg
    Ruger 357
    Fun to shoot, but I can’t shoot it worth a damn

voere and noelekal like this.
  18. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 18, 2018

E3E13627-FA40-419F-80CF-4758F5B23491.jpeg
    Everyone needs a snubby 38

19. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 18, 2018

757ABE1E-81B4-4672-AF3D-020911A98164.jpeg B7484188-06AF-4BE9-BFBA-8F037198DE77.jpeg 7D3C8AF3-1D73-4747-BF46-7579B11E4615.jpeg

Not firearms, but paintball guns. My gunslinger kids and myself

20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 18, 2018

The family that shoots each other stays together eh.

Uniqez likes this.