Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Wryfox Mar 21, 2018

1/2 credit so far......

2. Waltesefalcon Mar 21, 2018

I have converted it back to .45 acp, the old guy who bored it out for shot ground off the sight. I am however keeping the other cylinder so that will be a quick swap if I feel like it.

3. Waltesefalcon Mar 21, 2018

I have another New Service, 1919 manufacture, that was re-chambered in .357 at some point in its life. Sadly that one also had the grip frame ground down so that it is more in line with a Police Positive size. While it shoots pretty well I don't like the way it fits in my hand so I'll probably add some steel to the bottom to bring it to the right size again and then use some wood to bring the back strap back to the right size and glue that to one of the panels. The front strap, luckily, was left alone.

4. Waltesefalcon Mar 21, 2018

Is it a Danish copy?

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 21, 2018

How "bout an Indonesian copy?

6. Wryfox Mar 22, 2018

OK, so yes 1/2 credit to Professor for saying Egyptian copy, but not its name or caliber, or even spelling Ljungman correctly. But on the right track!

Ljungman was a Swedish semi auto in 6.5 Swedish used from 1940s to 1960s.

This is an Egyptian copy of the Ljungman, theHAKIM, in 8mm. Its a bruiser in 8mm semi auto...instead of 139g ammo, it uses 200g ammo at much higher power.

Its kickass to shoot, and with the 40rd extended mag, you can shoot til your shoulder is pulverized.

Edited Mar 23, 2018
    noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  7. Wryfox Mar 23, 2018

Stumbled across this pic while looking for something else....

Motorhead promo pic...from late 70s I think.

Talk about gun safety issues...c'mon Lemmy!
    Motorhead promo pic.jpg

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 23, 2018

Good thing none of them were high ::facepalm2::

larryganz and Wryfox like this.
  9. Wryfox Mar 23, 2018

Not that they remember, no.:whistling:

MikiJ likes this.
  10. Jimos Mar 25, 2018

It sure would be nice if my grandfather was around so I could ask him what prompted him to remove the bluing from some of his guns. My dad and I used to discuss this, but he could never explain what compelled his father to do such a thing. Maybe it had something to do with the quality of the NE Georgia moonshine that he allegedly enjoyed on occasion. Anyway, along with inheriting some firearms in nice original condition, I finally decided to re-blue 2 LC Smith shotguns and 1 Winchester 1894 rifle. The finish had been removed down to bare metal. Obviously this is akin to destroying the value of a firearm like a refinished dial on a watch. It sucks, but sometimes you're left with no alternative but to deal with it. I don't have handy a before pic of the 94, but I do have a pic of the LC Smiths along with a Fox double barrel that still has its original finish as an example. The 94 was just like those, finish removed down to bare metal. Today my gunsmith called and sent photos of the 94 as he has finished that one. Not great photos, but reblued and forearm and butt stock refinished. Serial # on this one dates to 1915. My grandfather gifted this to my dad on his 12th birthday. That would have been in 1946. No telling what this 30 WCF has seen as its over 100 years old. I'm sure it's taken a deer or two. Mechanically sound, but again, now refinished. If the grandkids never try to sell, I guess it shouldn't matter. LOL.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mtek, Waltesefalcon, voere and 2 others like this.
  11. Wryfox Mar 26, 2018

I don't think I've ever seen a finer case made for refinishing an antique gun with zero guilt.:thumbsup:

Waltesefalcon and Jimos like this.
  12. Professor Mar 26, 2018

Before assuming a dark bluing was removed look up the "French Grey" metal finish often used on vintage shotguns. It was especially popular for engraved specimens.

Also during the days of the muzzle loading musket and well into the cartridge era soldiers were instructed to scrub the metal surfaces of their weapons with wet campfire ashes. Firearms used with black powder and early corrosive primed cartridges could begin to rust out under a blued finish without obvious signs. To allow quick inspection musket barrels were kept "in the white" with the notable exception of the Brown Bess and its "pickeled steel" finish.

If those bird guns were mine I'd leave them as is, I like the French Grey look.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  13. Alphasports Mar 28, 2018

My late-50's S&W Model 41 competition .22 in it's homemade ElectroVoice microphone case! Has a muzzle brake for the specialized target rounds (never use it), and 3-piece slide-on counterweights. When I found this piece in the early 80's it was abandoned in my club's gun locker as just the grip and trigger assembly...I took it to S&W and they found a NOS barrel & slide and rebuilt it. Being in Canada firearms aficionados like me are reviled as monsters on the rare occasions I discuss this or other guns, so it (or my interest in firearms) doesn't see the light of day very often! I have not shot in years but am in the early stages of requalifying as there is a good range not far from my house. The only concern I have are the gold-Rolex-wearing nutjobs hanging around all eager to pull out their Glocks and demonstrate how to leave a paper target perfectly intact while blowing away 14 rounds as fast as possible. It ain't the gentleman's sport it once was (at least not in these parts!).

Pardon the "nutjobs" comment, but you know what I mean... ;)

Cheers

[​IMG]

14. Wryfox Mar 28, 2018

First of all, embrace the monster. Where I live, its a badge of honor. You're certainly welcome here.

Second, Its clear why you are on Omega Forums.....:cool:

(Among Omegas I also own a gold Rolex, but only wear it to the range)

15. Mudskipper Mar 28, 2018

Plinking steal at 800-1k yards with a semi-custom 300WM

Nothing better than watching the impact and picking up your head before you hear impact

36B733E8-B07C-4F4B-AB57-54BE1A262CCA.jpeg
  16. Professor Mar 28, 2018

You should keep an eye out for a S&W 78g CO2 powered .22 pellet pistol which is closely patterned after the pistol you have.

I have one given to me near 40 years ago by a friend who found it buried in mud on a lake bottom. I rebuilt it and resealed it several times over the years. A couple of years ago I obtained an excellent reseal kit with new designed exhaust valve and put it back in operation again. It now gets 465 FPS with a 14.3 grain pellet or 440 FPS with a 17 gr pellet.

17. Alphasports Mar 28, 2018

Nice, will do!

18. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 28, 2018

Tee ... hee ...hee ... on the description of the average ammo-burnin' pistolero one sees at most public ranges. It ain't the gentleman's sport it once ones. Seems a generation cares not for accuracy. Sure love to see your early Smith & Wesson Model 41. Have long wished for a Model 41 while making do with a High Standard Supermatic Trophy.

One Glock lives here, but it's far from my personal favorite 9mm pistol of the ones on hand.

[​IMG]

georgeszaslavsky and voere like this.
  19. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Mar 29, 2018

Nice 22's posted I have a few of them. Most of the time I use them to teach my grandsons shootings basics. It took me a long time to warm up to Tupperware pistols. 99% of the time this HK keeps me company

036.jpg
    Edited Mar 29, 2018
    Mtek and noelekal like this.
  20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 29, 2018

Great gun Voere and in .40 which I love. I just seem to have this "geezerly" allergy to plastic pistols.