Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. vbrad26 Mar 8, 2018

Because he's Ernest Hemingway?

Only firearm I currently own is a Colt Python .357, blue steel w/ a 4" barrel and non-original rubber grips.
    Used to have a Glock G27 but sold it.
    Now looking for another .40 and was thinking Sig or HK.

Any recommendations? I do not plan to carry, at least on my person.

propervinyl and Waltesefalcon like this.
  2. time flies Mar 8, 2018

Right.

3. Wryfox Mar 8, 2018

I'd leave the Python alone...they're too valuable now to do silly things like shoot them.

Cant go wrong with either a Sig or HK 40cal but I have trouble with the long triggers. Actually a Sig in 357 Sig(40 necked down to 357) is about the perfect combination of power and recoil. I converted a 40cal Glock to 357Sig and its a sweetheart.

vbrad26 likes this.
  4. Ranger230 Mar 8, 2018

Personally I would not add a new firearm in .40 caliber. Instead I would look at 9 or 45. Since the FBI has moved from 40, I personally expect it to become the newest 38super, 10mm, ect. Caliber popularity is based two fold military/law enforcement or shooting sports use. Calibers that are “hot” have support in both fields. The 40 does not anymore.

Yes there will always be competitors that want to shoot 40 in uspsa to make powerfactor easier. Those shooter also reload. Much easier to procure ammo. While 10mm and 38 super can be bought at a gun shop, they aren’t readily available at say Wally World. The cost will also be higher per round which will limit “fun time”. If it will be a casual range toy think 9mm. With advancements in ballistic engineering of projectiles it’s also hard to argue its ability as a self defense cartridge. Keep in mind the FBI is arming their Federal agents and local jurisdictions normally follows suit.

Time will tell but, that is my and many others that are in the bizs opinion.

Btw hold on to that 4” Colt. They are in high demand and selling at amazing prices.

larryganz and vbrad26 like this.
  5. jetkins Mar 8, 2018

Nothing until he puts a magazine on that Tommy gun. ;)

6. vbrad26 Mar 8, 2018

Hah well as "silly" as that sounds, it's true. I never shoot it. Haven't shot in in years to be honest.

That is good info and something to consider. I've been partial to .40's, but it is probably just a mental thing at this point.
    I really have no reason why I wouldn't want a 9mm or a .45...

Ranger230 likes this.
  7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 8, 2018

Back to what us "Old Timers" say: I carry a .45 'cause they don't make .46s :)
    There's a very good reason: The most important shot in a gun fight is the first shot!

8. Magic_Omega Mar 8, 2018

For Sport Events with Omega ... Swiss Timing Pistole_Omega.jpg

Mtek, any4xx and Waltesefalcon like this.
  9. Wryfox Mar 9, 2018

I know your being cheeky, but the only accidental discharge in my whole life was a pistol without a mag in it. Made the mistake of classically thinking it was unloaded and forgot the one in the chamber. You don't forget a moment like that, or what you had to do to patch the wall before your wife came home.:whipped:

noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  10. larryganz The cable guy Mar 9, 2018

Agreed.

Also, by 2013 I'd pretty much migrated to 9mm and kept only one .40 cal Glock 23, which is currently converted to a threaded 9mm barrel and 9mm magazines. I used to also have a few .45 cal and those have all gone, and I only have one .38 spl left for CCW.

Ranger230 and vbrad26 like this.
  11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 9, 2018

Unfortunately this is not uncommon. Way back when I was taught;
    1.) Never point weapon at anyone unless you're going to shoot them.
    2.) All guns are loaded until you personally check the chamber.
    3.) Remove open the cylinder or remove the clip, then pull the slide back to clear an auto.
    4.) Engage the frame safety into the notch in the slide to keep it open.
    5.) Look inside the back of the barrel to make sure there's not a round in there.

Ya, I know it's very basic, but it's the safest way to clean your weapon or hand it off to your friend.

jetkins likes this.
  12. jetkins Mar 9, 2018

Indeed, a gun never "just goes off." It's long been my contention that any accidental discharge is prima facie evidence that primary gun safety guidelines were not followed.

noelekal and MikiJ like this.
  13. Waltesefalcon Mar 9, 2018

My one accidental discharge came when I was young, stupid, and just learning to reload. I had one in the chamber of my 1911 and went rack the slide and clear the gun. It wouldn't rack, I holler for my dad (I was fifteen or sixteen) and he comes in. We had just gotten home and first off he asks why I didn't unload it when we were done shooting, for which I have no answer. He takes the gun looks it over and asks me if I resized the brass when I was reloading, of course I had forgotten this simple but important step (something I have never forgotten to do again). He tells me to go back out and fire it as that's the safest, easiest, and most reliable way to get the round out. He leaves to go clean the other guns, I figure I can get it to eject if I just rack the slide a little harder and a minute later as I am trying my hardest to eject this round, my hands are getting sweaty and my finger slipped onto the trigger. Man, I got reamed so badly I will never forget it. We had the hole in the floor fixed before my mom got home though.

Mtek and noelekal like this.
  14. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Mar 9, 2018

IMHO you can't go wrong with a H&K vs Sig both are good firearms. If I had to choose it would come down to ergonomics. Plenty of models between both makers. I would find one that fit my hands well and one that has the features I would want DA/SA, DAK, Single action etc.

As far as the caliber debate 9mm is a great round and so is the 40 cal. I have several handguns in both calibers. I tend to go with a 40 cal. That way I can easily convert the 40 cal to 357 Sig. Plenty of pro's and cons about each caliber. Your choice will depend on your needs.

Mtek, noelekal and vbrad26 like this.
  15. Waltesefalcon Mar 9, 2018

I'm a big fan of 1911s, in my opinion one of the most comfortable guns out there to shoot and one of the most natural pointing ones, you can also find them several different chamberings. I own one in .45acp and one in 10mm.

Mtek, vbrad26, voere and 1 other person like this.
  16. vbrad26 Mar 9, 2018

You know, I have completely overlooked the 1911.
    Only have shot one, was a Kimber? I believe?

17. jetkins Mar 9, 2018

A 1911 in .45ACP is my favorite handgun; if I was ever to buy a weapon, that would be where I'd start.

MikiJ likes this.
  18. Seacow Mar 9, 2018

Just got my firearm licence today from the mailbox! and a Norinco Type 81 is on the way...::facepalm1::

Mtek and noelekal like this.
  19. axl911 Mar 10, 2018

1911s. Something like this?

C9F24099-7AEB-4E86-9D7B-7A1C9D70D0D1.jpeg
    Mtek, noelekal, Waltesefalcon and 2 others like this.
  20. jetkins Mar 10, 2018

Much like that, yeah. :)