Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Professor Feb 24, 2018

Have you tried CCI Stingers? They work great in my Marlin and leave less residue than other brands I've tried.
    Unplated lead bullet .22 LR leaves nearly as much vaporized lead as burnt powder in the action of a blowback and the lead is harder to get rid of. powder fouling will disolve in solvents and canned air will blast it out of nooks and crannies but atomized lead must be physically removed.

2. larryganz The cable guy Feb 24, 2018

Yeah, that is cleaner, but I'm usually shooting subsonic ammo with a suppressor. So I threaded the barrels on my Ruger 10/22 and Marlin Papoose rifles instead of shooting the 22LR through our AR-15's. But the subsonic ammo is so dirty that my Beretta tip-up barrel 22LR pistol wont function using it with a suppressor.

3. Kwijibo Feb 25, 2018

This is my only vintage shotgun. Rustic and kicking ass :D
    stevens.jpeg
    also have this one that it interesting because it's a DDR training rifle. Incredibly accurate
    20170429_154149.jpg
    I had this one but had to sell it last year :(
    IMG_2196.jpg

Edited Feb 25, 2018
    voere and noelekal like this.
  4. jetkins Feb 25, 2018

I've never actually owned a gun, but I do enjoy throwing some lead down range every now and then. When I was in college, I shot 7.62mm with the gun club at ranges up to 1000m, but these days the farthest I shoot is a couple of hundred yards on a buddy's back forty, or even closer at local ranges.

But a couple of weeks ago I checked an item off my bucket list, when we visited Abilene and I got to fire a full-auto for the first time. It was an H&K G36, and it was a blast! A short blast - 100 rounds doesn't last long at 750 rpm - but I think I managed to save the world from a zombie apocalypse. :)

Trev, voere and noelekal like this.
  5. larryganz The cable guy Feb 26, 2018

I kept worrying about rounds going through the ceiling - I was on edge the whole time :eek:

6. Kwijibo Feb 26, 2018

So did I... Full auto are forbiden over here and that's not so bad.

7. Wryfox Feb 27, 2018

So here's an important lesson about the real world. Mother and daughter run a liquor store in Tulsa Oklahoma. Bad guy with sawed off 12ga shotgun comes in to rob them, steals money...then comes back. Mother and daughter(thankfully) are both armed and shoot back. I count 4 shots minimum, possibly 6 at this guy, who THEN tries to disarm one of the women, does so successfully, but fortunately the gun is empty and he cannot shoot back. This is reality folks, even when the good guys are armed and defend themselves, it doesn't mean the bad guy stops. IF those women couldn't defend themselves, they would have been dead. They barely got out of it the way things went. Determined attackers WILL NOT STOP. Superior opposing force is the only thing that will work.

Now, in those countries around the world where guns are banned, good people have what to fight back with? The bad guys will always have a gun, because they are outlaws(ie outside the law) and that's what works to accomplish their goals.

To quote an old expression...God made all men, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

You can look up up the whole security camera video on youtube. I didn't post it here because its more gruesome. I figured I was ok on this board with the below media friendly version.

voere, noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  8. Kwijibo Feb 27, 2018

I don't think we are here to discuss the legitimy of self defense. but logically the more guns there are in circulation, the easiest it is for criinal to get one. Violence breeds violence. And I do practice shooting in a country in which owning a gun is forbidden for children, morons, and criminals.

Edited Feb 27, 2018
    bazderome and Archer like this.
  9. Professor Feb 27, 2018

The Norwegians built STEN guns and other more deadly weapons in bicycle shops and hidden tool shops while under NAZI occupation.
    Israelis did the same under British occupation.

Anyone with access to the the most basic machine tools can build a fully functional full auto firearm.
    A slamfire shotgun can be made from plumbing pipe.
    Bombs are far easier to build than firearms and proven to be far more deadly.

Its proven to be impossible to prevent those determined to do harm to others from obtaining modern weaponry.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  10. Kwijibo Feb 27, 2018

I just meant the numbers of firearms in circulation is not directly linked to violence. It's more a cultural question. There are a lot of guns in Switzerland, Finland and France but little few gun violence. I'm a real non violent person but like guns and habe no explanation for that. I would be really unable to shoot at anybody.
    There a more deads by firemars+suicides in France than deads by attacks.

11. larryganz The cable guy Feb 27, 2018

I think everyone here understands the importance of self defense, but the above video underscores the need for training. I'm surprised the news story didn't touch on that.

(It also supports my argument for why I keep a 12g shotgun and suppressed short barrel AR-15 in the house for self defense. We need to be able to overpower any bad guy that ventures uninvited into our home. It also demonstrates why some people will carry a pistol on their belt and a backup on their ankle, in case up close the bad guy wrestles your firearm away. I suspect the media might say those people are paranoid.)

12. mayankyadav Feb 27, 2018

AR 15 for self defense! wow! I must be the most vulnerable guy coz i have 0 guns ;)

Kwijibo likes this.
  13. Kwijibo Feb 27, 2018

Anyway it's interesting to see different points of view from different country. Over here you can't just. buy an AR15 or a semi auto one with an special authorisation. I don't see any problem with it as I would not like any twisted f. to have one.
    Just in case you find it interesting, here in France the law is rather strict about firearms.
    - you are a hunter and have the right to cary a gun during the hunting season (not automatic, with a barrel which measures more than 80 cm, and semi auto that can shoot no more than 3+1 cartridges)
    - you are a shooter and you can buy a bolt action with. you license (more than 80 cm barrel). You have to go to the doctor each year to have your license signed (or not). you need a special authorisation to buy a semi auto or a semi auto handgun. cal 223 is considered as a military caliber so you also need a special authorisation. You can't carry a gun in no way, except on you way to the shooting field. Semi auto and hand guns at home must be put away in a safe, unloaded. you have to prove you bought the safe befoir having the authorisation. When carried, It has to be in a case with a lock on the trigger. if you're caught with a gun in other circustances, you're in a deep shit ;)
    automatic guns are just prohibited except for police forces or military.
    as for self defense, it's very rare to be considered by any judge as legitimate to shoot on someone. Your life had to be considered as directly threatened which is rather rare as very few people carry guns. In these troubled times, if you want ot be shot dead by the police, just take a gun out in your pocket on the streer. Police and military forces are rather nervous these last years.
    gun control = responsible people owning guns = no accident or stupid death.

well all that just to compare "gun cultures"

ciao ciao

Wryfox and jetkins like this.
  14. Kwijibo Feb 27, 2018

you're the safest guy on earth you mean.

15. Professor Feb 28, 2018

Ever seen a city wide riot at close hand? I have and that sort of animal like mass violence would soon have you wishing you had a weapon capable of taking on multiple assailants.
    Mobs of several hundred people don't need firearms to rip a lone victim to shreds. They are no more civilized than a pack of Baboons. The only thing that will deter a mob like that is gunfire and lots of it.
    During the LA riots only those shop keepers who armed themselves and defended their lively hood had any thing left the next day.

Wryfox and Waltesefalcon like this.
  16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Feb 28, 2018

Speaking for myself I'm a firearm enthusiast. I enjoy many types of shooting sports. Skeet & trap shooting, target shooting long gun & hand gun.
    I'm also a fan of trained, mentally sound law-abiding citizens participating in concealed carry. God forbid a life threating situation arises at the very least. I would be able to keep my family and I safe until the police arrive.

17. ras47 Feb 28, 2018

Try skeet shooting with a pistol grip shotgun. That’s a LOT of fun! I have a Mossberg JIC shotgun - JIC stands for Just In Case - that’s designed for self defense in tight spaces like boat passageways. I generally prefer my Remington 870 with a full stock, but the pistol grip shotguns can be handy and fun.

18. Edantony Feb 28, 2018

I tend to have an interest in firearms too, but I also tend to disagree with the idea that giving citizens free access to guns - to the point that it is easier to buy than OTC medecine - is an effective way to provide self defense capabilities to the average Joe.

Their power to deter violence is overestimated - the sheer amount of gun crimes in the US should be proof enough.

Also, if even the police that is trained to carry guns finds itself in situations where it mistakenly misuses force and wounds or kills citizens - I can hardly imagine that random gun owners aren't in danger of misusing guns in a variety of situations.

Before I get clobbered on this thread, I understand this is a cultural issue for the US - so it is a complicated topic that escapes us europeans most of the time.

19. Edantony Feb 28, 2018

On another note, I just love the iconic design of the AK-47. That balance of wood, and the shape of the charger makes it truly a beautiful gun in my opinion.

MikiJ likes this.
  20. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 28, 2018

These Russian and Czech versions were far superior to the original issue, open flash suppressors on our M-16s. Much better round too!

Edited Feb 28, 2018