So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

So does this diminish collector value? i’ve not seen it in years, but i recall that on “Pawn Stars” there seemed to be an obsession with test firing as part of valuation. Not that that show is any indicator of reality.

Yes it does. In my experience of collecting antique arms, collectors of high quality items want originality, to the point when they would reject otherwise top items on that factor alone.

Although some famous collectors like W Keith Neal in the UK loved firing his pieces (in fact the one I illustrated was once in his collection before it ended up in mine), most do not want to take the risk. When you are talking about cased flintlock duellers by a famous maker that are worth as much as $40,000 and sometimes much more, breaking a cock is too much of a risk.

Unless you are one of the well meaning cowboys on Pawn Stars.......

Yes it does. In my experience of collecting antique arms, collectors of high quality items want originality, to the point when they would reject otherwise top items on that factor alone.

Although some famous collectors like W Keith Neal in the UK loved firing his pieces (in fact the one I illustrated was once in his collection before it ended up in mine), most do not want to take the risk. When you are talking about cased flintlock duellers by a famous maker that are worth as much as $40,000 and sometimes much more, breaking a cock is too much of a risk.

Unless you are one of the well meaning cowboys on Pawn Stars.......
So you mean that leaving the cock, as is with the crack, is better for valuation than having it repaired. Yes? (So many bad puns swimming in my brain)

So you mean that leaving the cock, as is with the crack, is better for valuation than having it repaired. Yes? (So many bad puns swimming in my brain)

Definitely. I pointed out the crack to the guy that bought the set from me, and he said he was not bothered, but grateful I had not had it repaired.

While I am on a roll I decided to share the favourite of my antique arms collection. They were bought at a Melbourne arms fair over thirty years ago. I could only afford them after selling off other items I loved, but I have never regretted it.

We are looking at a pair of transitional flintlock duelling pistols by one of the most famous of the English makers, Robert Wogdon. They are called transitional because they retain the old style holster pistol butts, while having all the features of the duelling pistols of the 1770s.

IMG_1315.JPG

Wogdon's pistols were known for being functional and very accurate, rather than decorative. These are one of his exceptions to that rule, being silver mounted (hallmarked for 1776) with gold lined pans, vents and other bits.

IMG_0267.JPG

The heavy silver butt plate reminds me of my face in the rear vision mirror after being cutoff by some freeway clown zipping across lanes at high speed:

IMG_0270.JPG

For the shooters amongst you, the balance of these pistols is superb. While keeping my eyes closed I can bring one up to a firing position, open my eyes, and find the sights exactly aligned. Their bore is the most common duelling .53 calibre, which was a smaller bore than military and horse pistols. These pistols were set to be on target at 12 paces, the standard duelling distance in those days. Duellers were not allowed to be rifled, but the best smoothbore pistols would reliably put shots into a playing card at twelve paces.

IMG_0264.JPG
In the 1770s many duelling pairs were sold without a case, but by 1780 a mahogany case was standard, This pair did not have a case, but I was lucky to find one made during the 1780s of flame mahogany on oak that they and the contemporary accessories fitted into nicely.

IMG_1321.JPG

This pair appeared in Bonham's publication Robert Wogdon, by John O'Sullivan and de Witt Bailey in 2019. Bonham's also put three silver mounted pairs on the back of the dust jacket - two pairs were owned by the Queen, and the third was this pair. I felt my sacrifice of thirty years earlier was worth it.

Our American friends on OF might be interested to know that pistols by Wogdon were used in the 1804 duel when Vice President Aaron Burr fatally wounded General Alexander Hamilton.

So I bought a wheel gun this weekend. Figured what the hell. Ruger SP101 2 1/2” 357
I did buy another Glock 17. So some steel and plastic
IMG_8003.jpeg

So I bought a wheel gun this weekend. Figured what the hell. Ruger SP101 2 1/2” 357
I did buy another Glock 17. So some steel and plastic
IMG_8003.jpeg
Little pocket cannon .. how’s it shoot?

Little pocket cannon .. how’s it shoot?
I let ya know Sunday
Need some 38 special and 357 to see what I like. I never was any good with my full size Ruger GP100 357

Shot the Ruger 357
Used up 50 38 special cartridges
Still not any good
Will shoot the chest, just could not tell you where at.
I’ll have to decide, 5 rounds with the 357 or 17 with a Glock
Edited:

Is there a correlation between collecting firearms and knives?

@The Father I assume that is for the guy who needs backup for when he misses with every round in his magazine?
Or takes on more than he has rounds for?

This little fellow followed me home from the last gun show. You might say 'ah a Tommy Gun, or....a Chicago Typewriter'. Well it sure looks like one but its merely a copy of a Thompson 1927, made by a small, turbulent, eclectic firm called Volunteer Enterprises. Company only lasted a few years, swapped among family members, with different models each time. 1969-1976. Some were good, some were poop, a bit of a dice roll, but I was assured that this one was a good one....we shall see.....

20240408_082606.jpg

Its called a 'Commando Mark III'. Heck, it was worth it just for the name, eh?

This little fellow followed me home from the last gun show. You might say 'ah a Tommy Gun, or....a Chicago Typewriter'. Well it sure looks like one but its merely a copy of a Thompson 1927, made by a small, turbulent, eclectic firm called Volunteer Enterprises. Company only lasted a few years, swapped among family members, with different models each time. 1969-1976. Some were good, some were poop, a bit of a dice roll, but I was assured that this one was a good one....we shall see.....

20240408_082606.jpg

Full-Auto? ; )

20240408_082606.jpg

Wow, one of my favorite gun ever.

Nice little J-Frame .32 S&W Long I just had transformed. The double-action-only trigger draws smoothly, hits a wall, then breaks like glass. Finished in black nitride and has a set of Spegel black walnut boot grips. Because of the vintage of the base gun, the grips are just a little off, so I contacted Craig Spegel, who lives just 20 minutes from my vacation home, and we have a date to get them custom fit.

I just picked up a J-Frame Model 649 “Bodyguard” .357 Magnum. It has never been fired. I’m looking forward to getting it to the range!