Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Flysatchmo Apr 18, 2021

:)...You made my night with that one!

2. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Apr 19, 2021

upload_2021-4-19_6-4-4.jpeg
    come on you turkeys

Wryfox, noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  3. tikkathree Apr 19, 2021

So here in Britain, deer hunters are in varying stages of panic/resignation/frustration because the deer processing industry, having sold barely anything to anybody during the covid pandemic thus far, how now fallen on their knees in front of the major supermarket chains to pledge that all venison to enter the food chain will, after 2022, be lead-free.

Show me evidence of anyone anywhere having their quality of life adversely affected by ingesting lead in the form of either lead shot or bullet fragments. Don't people chew their food?

As is their wont, the shooting associations don't seem to have put up any kind of resistance at all and, consequently, there is currently a scramble going on to find non-lead substitute loads which comply with firearms licensing laws which differ between England & Wales and Scotland. In the case of the Scottish law minimum energy requirements for roe deer which is framed around .243 the law will simply fail to provide a product. Some shooters are hoping that this particular law will be amended but there is zero evidence of most politicians having either understanding or interest in anything which doesn't bring in urban voters so I don't hold my breath.

There are several ironies at play here, one of which is that a significant percentage of pre- and immediately post WWII housing stock has drinking water supplied through lead pipes. Further, in the scramble to claim "all lead bad, all copper good" we neatly overlook the fact that copper was banned as a marine antifouling material some years ago. Go figure.....

I'd love to hear from any of you guys who shoot deer or other "eatable game" using non-lead bullets.

noelekal likes this.
  4. tikkathree Apr 19, 2021

BP mmmmm, love that smell. I think you're right re historical battelfields: if it wasn't windy you'd simply shoot in the direction of the last shot you heard.

5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Apr 19, 2021

mighty white hunter strikes again
    Shit, now what do I do?
    upload_2021-4-19_6-44-2.jpeg

Edited Apr 19, 2021
  6. Waltesefalcon Apr 19, 2021

If I'm hunting with either my .300 Win Mag or my 30-06 I'm using jacketed bullets. I'm slinging lead rounds out of my muzzle loaders, my 45-90, and semi jacketed out of my old 30-30.

I do like the expansion you get with lead bullets, or in the case of the 30-30 semi jacketed ones, compared to the fully jacketed bullets. However, I've always gotten really good results with my jacketed bullets as well.

What I find most interesting as an American is that you can buy wild game at the supermarket in Britain? That's really cool.

7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 19, 2021

Can't help you because I don't do non-lead bullets. I mostly shoot lead projectiles, mostly hunt with lead or lead cored projectiles and lead shot (except waterfowl). I make a deliberate effort to avoid non-lead projectiles when I can. I loathe lead bans for I loathe what they've done to waterfowl hunting and sure don't want to see them extended to other forms of hunting here. I think fears are played on when it comes to lead, but it works well when there is an underlying agenda against guns, shooting, hunting.

Flysatchmo likes this.
  8. Professor Apr 19, 2021

Missed the flap over lead pipe in Flint Michigan?
    Lead pipes are safe enough so long as the water going through them is not acidic. The average water supply in most countries has enough calcium in it to coat the inside of the pipes preventing further contact between the water and the lead pipes. Acidic water washes away the calcium deposits.

With water fowl the remote possibility of eating lead contaminated meat was not a factor, it was waterfowl ingesting lead shot in their gizzard/craw to grind up plant material. Finely ground lead reacts with organic materials to create organic toxins that harmed the birds.

It makes little sense to ban lead bullets for medium to large game, since a deer shot by a hunter using an adequate caliber won't live long enough to produce any organic toxins from lead bullets.

You've heard of "lead poisoning" from a gunshot wound. This was caused by bullet fragments in contact with bone. Flesh as it heals will form a protective capsule around lead bullets or fragments but bone immediately begins to react with lead to form deadly toxins in the blood.

The worst known cases of lead poisoning food was when lead solder was used in making early canned goods. There has been no room for doubt that lead is toxic. That's why white lead was and to some extent still is, used to treat the keels and ribs of wooden vessels, it poisons the various critters that eat wooden ships timbers.

tikkathree, allwoundup and warrydog like this.
  9. 64Wing Apr 19, 2021

Finally found some BCGs today at surplusammo.com. Went with a full NiB unit.

Screenshot_20210419-151455.png

tikkathree and Flysatchmo like this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 21, 2021

This hoary old veteran below has seen some duty with 1911 guns over the years as a field holster. It's also been carried for gun show security duty. Photo from a few years back, taken upon the return of a trip with my brother-in-law to Sanderson, Texas and a friend's ranch right on the border.

[​IMG]

Got it out just now to refresh my memory on its maker. I thought it was a Safariland but it's a "No-name Special." It can be said to be the subjective "sturdily made" and has a nice heavy-duty brass snap. It was acquired as a used holster at Donn Heath gun shop in Fort Worth in the very early 1980s, replacing the M1916 shown earlier. It stays black by being polished at the same time I'm polishing my black shoes.

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 21, 2021

[​IMG]

Adding another Heiser holster, this time an older one. This holster probably dates to the period between 1900 and the mid-1920s, judging from the earlier style of maker's mark Heiser applied. This holster is an an early type of inside-the-waistband holster, made for the 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver which is a perfect fit. It's likely not a very common holster but also probably not as likely to generate much interest among real holster collectors which is why it ended up in my holster bin for cheap.

[​IMG]

This holster shows a good bit of wear so obviously provided someone with a means to conceal the protection they deemed necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's difficult to imagine that the leather belt loops held up to long use but despite the holster's age and obviously worn condition, the leather of the loops as well as the rest of the holster is still supple. The draw from this holster is effortless yet the gun is carried well secured, being positioned deep within the holster.

[​IMG]

I've been wearing it around in the house this evening and it's a very comfortable holster and this despite wearing jeans that are too tight with the intrusion of an IWB holster in the waistband. I had Mrs noelekal snap a quick photo. Some vintage gabardine trousers, tailored to fit with room for this holster, would have worked fine.

This 4-inch round butt Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver shows a serial number of 296XXX so was produced sometime in the 1917-1919 period. The round butt is a nice touch for concealment and feels really good in the hand when grasped. The somewhat less common round butt K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver of the 1910-1920 period, when equipped with the checkered walnut stock panels, lends itself to good shooting with excellent ergonomics which has to be experienced to be appreciated. The plain clothes lawman wearing this revolver in this holster would have been well-equipped back in the day.

tikkathree, The Father and Flysatchmo like this.
  12. Professor Apr 21, 2021

Can you imagine the carnage if one of those were deployed during a Zombie outbreak?

tikkathree likes this.
  13. Flysatchmo Apr 22, 2021

14. Waltesefalcon Apr 22, 2021

I'd rather build one of these for the zombie apocalypse.

ghce, Wryfox and Flysatchmo like this.
  15. Professor Apr 22, 2021

One of these would be nice to have in case any mobs of Zombies, Mutants or mostly peaceful protestors try to bum rush your vehicle.
    The "Rhodesian Spider"
    Up to 20 barrels , perhaps more. Some were hand cranked others were electrically fired.
    This example seems to have the muzzles flattened to form a "duck foot choke" to spread the shot more horizontally.
    Remember during displays of mob violence there is no such thing as collateral damage, if you ride with the outlaw you die with the outlaw.
    4-1.jpg

16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 22, 2021

I'm too dumb to catch on to the entire zombie thing that's been a topic of firearms forums in recent years. Am not certain what I'm missing.

Wryfox likes this.
  17. tikkathree Apr 22, 2021

Yes but all meat available in our supermarkets was lovingly grown under clingfilm on styrene trays and that's how a percentage of people like to think of the field-to-shop journey: somebody lifted up a big leaf and there they were.....

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  18. tikkathree Apr 22, 2021

You've got it, right there. Urban myths from urban mindsets.

19. AngelDeVille Apr 22, 2021

[​IMG]

i20rider and Flysatchmo like this.
  20. Waltesefalcon Apr 22, 2021

I'm not entirely certain what's up with it myself but finding and watching videos of guys shooting insanely ridiculous guns is fun.