Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Waltesefalcon Mar 24, 2021

Pain.

voere, Wryfox and noelekal like this.
  2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 24, 2021

Go for it!

voere and Wryfox like this.
  3. Wryfox Mar 31, 2021

Had a fun little project this past weekend...my MIL handed me this old revolver, saying she found it in a drawer. Wanted to know if I could clean it up. The bore and cylinder chambers were black as the ace of spades and much of the exterior was blackened rust and dirt as well. Wish I took a before pic....looked like it was dug up.

So I used a wire wheel then polishing wheel on the outside and a bore brush mounted on a power drill for the bore and cylinder(given the condition, I wasn't hurting anything to use power tools).

At the end of the day, I found it was an H&R Hammerless Model 1, 1st Variation, made in 1902. Chambered in 32S&W, a long obsolete caliber. It was actually considered a black powder cartridge, used even into the early 1900s, well after smokeless powders had become commonplace..

The pics below are after cleanup. I'd have to say it came out looking fairly decent. Everything is functional, thought the return is a little sticky, but the cylinder locks up and rotates just fine. The action, lubed up, is heavy but reliable. I would have taken it apart to clean up the mechanism but as you can see below, there are no screws, only pins. These were decent, but cheap, little parlor guns in their day.

I gave it back to my Mother In law...she didn't recognize it. Told her finding ammo for it is pointless but if she has an intruder in the house she should just throw it at 'em and hope to knock 'em out.... 20210326_161854.jpg 20210326_161921.jpg 20210326_165516.jpg

Edited Mar 31, 2021
  4. KevinR1971 Mar 31, 2021

I'm new to the forum this week after receiving an Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80 from my wife for my 50th birthday! I've been eyeing it for over 25 years and now it's finally here! It's a 1999 that's in immaculate condition. I'm not completely sure it was ever worn! I've been an avid (read obsessed!) James Bond fan since about 15 years old. The first I saw in the cinema was "The Living Daylights" with my dad in 1987 at a theatre that has since been turned into a performing arts venue. When Pierce Brosnan took over the role, that's when my interest began to rise steadily. Amongst this time, I was always interested in firearms and shooting and began a law enforcement career in 1994 that I will soon retire from. I was happy to see this thread on a forum for watches! Having a similar build and appearance to Brosnan, I used him as style reference, especially during my time as an investigator when I could wear suits to work. I also fell in love with the Seamaster! With the exception of Goldeneye (the 2541.80 quartz), he wore the same model (2531.80) in each of his films. Not having the funds as a young LEO, all I could do was drool over the Omega Collection catalog! At two different points, I have also owned a Walther PPK carried as a back-up and off-duty firearm. The first was an Interarms version that I sold and have regretted ever since! They are no longer made as Interarms is no longer in business and the value is now double what I paid. More recently, I have acquired a Ft. Smith, AR version carried the same way. I will NOT be parting with this one and it will be my carry gun in retirement (no, we don't stop carrying just because we don't have to work every day!) The only change I made is adding a set of high-profile night sights that are easier to acquire in a hurry...more easily picked up by aging eyes!

I would love to discuss Walthers (and other guns, too! I'm a competitive shooter that uses a Glock 34) and James Bond Omegas anytime!

116225499_10223758753905274_457593396050670172_n.jpg 166738348_10225729842341253_2824902050137808467_n.jpg
    Fallout Boy, voere, 64Wing and 4 others like this.
  5. Wryfox Mar 31, 2021

Welcome to the club, Kevin! Good to see another enthusiast on this thread! You don't mention where you are from, and of course that will be interesting as the content on firearms can be very different depending on where you are on this big planet.

I too used to own a PPK too, stainless. This was probably 25yrs ago. Brand new I ran 200rds through it and it was flawless start to finish. My wife carried it for a long time, before eventually picking up something a bit lighter, a Keltec 380 at half the weight (the Keltec also runs flawlessly). That PPK went the way of something else over time, but even today I look wistfully at Walthers and wish I had that stainless one back.

BTW, If you look in my profile you'll find a thread I started a few years ago on movie watches, primarily Bond watches from the films. Lots of pics.

noelekal and KevinR1971 like this.
  6. Flysatchmo Mar 31, 2021

Great watch and gun! I just picked up a new PPK recently....there’s a picture on this thread of the PPK and my Diver 300 James Bond LE....love everything Bond and Omega! Never owned a 380 caliber gun before. It’s great. Welcome to the forum. You’ll learn a lot from these folks !

noelekal and KevinR1971 like this.
  7. KevinR1971 Mar 31, 2021

Thank you! I will definitely look up your other thread! Also, I live in North Carolina in the US where (for now) firearms ownership is not as restrictive as in other countries or states. Since I don’t want to violate the rules of the thread, I’ll refrain from any political discussions.

Not sure if you ran into this with your earlier PPK (I didn’t) but the edges of the grip and beaver tail (tang) are quite sharp and can really chew your hand after a training or qualification session that goes north of 100 rounds. I’ve yet to find a gunsmith that can round those edges and also refinish the black Melonite coating now being used on the new models. If anyone has an ideas, I’d be open to hearing them. For now, I wear fingerless weightlifting gloves when I plan to do a lot of shooting with it.

noelekal likes this.
  8. KevinR1971 Mar 31, 2021

Thanks! I’ll look up your watch and PPK!

9. Wryfox Mar 31, 2021

I did not have that problem at all, but mine was from 25yrs ago. They still pretty much hand built stuff, even as late as the 90s.

Edited Mar 31, 2021
    KevinR1971 likes this.
  10. KevinR1971 Mar 31, 2021

Correct! My Interarms didn't have that problem and was very smooth all-around...the one it did have (which has since been pretty much cured) is "Walther Bite" due to the short tang. I have a high grip so I would get "train tracks" across the web of my hand.

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 31, 2021

Now y'all have turned up my wanter button for a Walther PP or PPK!

I've owned four of the stinkers, all PPs. Three World War II vintage and one post war. One .380 and the others were .32s. None of 'em gave dependable function and they were prone to bite. So, I don't currently have one, but despite all I still want one.

Waltesefalcon, Wryfox and KevinR1971 like this.
  12. KevinR1971 Mar 31, 2021

Even with the spicy edges, I still love mine! After carrying Tactical Tupperware (what Glock used to be called!) for almost 30 years, it was nice to get back to a steel framed pistol. Bond cache' aside, I love the lines (same with my Seamaster!) and Walther has made many improvements through the years. My original Interarms had a small "stage" or step on the feed ramp that caused feeding issues with hollow-points. A gunsmith at my agency who also owned one took a Dremel and some jewelers' rouge and smoothed out the feed ramp to a mirror finish. No more feeding issues. The later PPKs took that into account. Mine will eat whatever I feed it. A word of warning if you go on the hunt...two years ago when I got this one, the black finish was like a unicorn! I don't know if that's changed. I was able to locate mine on Gun Broker in a gun shop one county over. The rest is history. Good luck if the bug continues biting!

noelekal likes this.
  13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 31, 2021

I love forged steel firearms myself.

My doctor says I have a genuine "mental allergy" to cast steel, stamped steel, aluminum alloy, or plastic firearms. Sort of goes with my "allergies" to quartz watches and smart watches.

14. Waltesefalcon Mar 31, 2021

Kevin, welcome to the forum. I love both the watch and the PPK. I have a buddy with an old Interarms PPK that I did a little work on for him last summer, its a beautiful little gun and I told him if he ever wants to part with it that I'll gladly take it off his hands.

KevinR1971 likes this.
  15. KevinR1971 Mar 31, 2021

Now that I have the Seamaster, I believe I’ve developed adult-onset allergy to quartz as well!

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  16. KevinR1971 Apr 1, 2021

I like your user name! Love that movie!

Thanks very much! About the Interarms vs. the Ft. Smith PPKs...I wish they had stayed with a stainless exterior on the chamber...for the pure aesthetics alone. While I like the fact that Melonite is a stronger finish, a well-blued firearm is much prettier! Those are two things I miss about my old Interarms.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 1, 2021

Hah, Kevin!

I've long had a less severe allergy to stainless steel guns. I can dabble with a few stainless steel firearms if I limit my exposure to them. I find that I'm not attracted to the look of stainless steel.

KevinR1971 likes this.
  18. Wryfox Apr 1, 2021

Sexyness scale (I know, I really need to get out more)

Royal Blue
    Bright Stainless
    New Nickel
    Dark Patina that tells a story of a thousand lifetimes
    Light Patina that says touch me, its ok
    Old Nickel
    Plain Blue
    Matte Stainless
    Black Phosphate
    Green Phosphate
    Painted(Blech!)
    Molded Plastic(double Blech!)
    Old Rust
    New Rust

My psychiatrist says this is good for me, just stay calm.::screwloose::

KevinR1971 and noelekal like this.
  19. Professor Apr 1, 2021

When they first started using Stainless steel for autoloaders they found the mating surfaces of slide and frame rails "galled" leading to malfunctions. After limited success with various wonder lubes they tried making these parts from differing stainless alloys. The crystaline surfaces of the metals not being the same there was no longer a tendency for the parts to try to bond under pressure and friction.
    In a related finding they have found that with some alloys used in constructing spacecraft clean metal surfaces in a vacuum may be permanently welded together by only the pressure of a pair of pliers.

Flysatchmo and KevinR1971 like this.
  20. Professor Apr 1, 2021

In the pre penicillin days when those guns were popular any bullet wound would probably be fatal. Might take a week of suffering though.
    If that one is like my Safety Hammerless its too light to be depended on to knock someone out even with a good hit.
    Best way to use these against an attacker is to fire it directly into an eye socket or into the front teeth. Then run.