Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Ritzwatch Jul 28, 2017

Just about put a dent in my forehead with one of these...

2. Aronis Jul 30, 2017

No. A gun is bad!!!

But more guns are better. IMG_5120.JPG

3. Aronis Jul 30, 2017

Big guns are BEST! IMG_7344.JPG

Thrasher36, Perseus, Mad Dog and 3 others like this.
  4. Aronis Jul 30, 2017

It's either the Moonphase or this beast! Can't decide. Remington! IMG_7601.JPG

5. Wryfox Jul 30, 2017

Hey is that Lou Ferrigno?

Perseus likes this.
  6. Aronis Jul 30, 2017

Thanks pal. It's me.

7. Aronis Jul 30, 2017

That gun makes me look thinner. LOL.

Wryfox, wsfarrell and noelekal like this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 31, 2017

How 'bout a 4" S&W 57 in stainless ;)
    Bought this a few decades ago when I was fishing in some very remote spots.
    Haven't seen many in Stainless and thought this was the perfect "Camp Gun".
    My Bianchi 58 Large Rev makes it a very comfortable carry.
    Yes, I have the original boxes, grips and sales receipt :)
    P1011675.JPG P1011677.JPG

Thrasher36, Wryfox, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  9. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 31, 2017

Here's one of my favorite home protection handguns. This 66-2 works for everyone in my family. They all know how to handle the revolver. Hey it's a revolver easy to handle with no confusion of the operation of the handgun.

019.JPG
    Edited Jul 31, 2017
    Thrasher36, noelekal and MikiJ like this.
  10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 31, 2017

Get ready for this one: My S&W 57 sits in my wife's night stand. That's her "home protection".

When I was in the "joint" business and coming home in the wee hours she wanted something that if the dogs woke her in the middle of the night she wouldn't have to open the door to see who was trying to break in.
    She could simply put a few through the door ;)

noelekal and voere like this.
  11. Aronis Jul 31, 2017

Ok I'll bite. "Joint" Business? Orthopedic equipment or Marijauna?

Mike

12. Wryfox Jul 31, 2017

Wow I wasn't thinking of either of those when I read that....I thought a bar of some kind.

MikiJ likes this.
  13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jul 31, 2017

Winner - winner - Chicken Dinner! Restaurant and Club business in the 80s and 90s :)
    Those were the days my friend, I thought they would never end. They did :(

14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 31, 2017

Love the stainless steel .41 Magnum revolver MikiJ. Is that known as a Model 657? None of the .41 Magnum models are common. That one is even less so. Good barrel length too.

Voere, you and I have similar tastes. Here's the 2 1/2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 66 .357 Magnum kept on hand here.

[​IMG]

Thrasher36, MikiJ and voere like this.
  15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Jul 31, 2017

Very Nice M66 you have

These two M19's are my favorite in K frame snubs the M66's are very durable I can always polish out handling and use marks on stainless steel it does not work that way on blued firearms.

am19.jpg
    Thrasher36 and noelekal like this.
  16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jul 31, 2017

A factory "pinto" Model 19 snub. Wow! Nice custom stocks on the other one. Nice blue finish too. Blue finish, well the blue finish of now bygone days is my very favorite.

Here's a plain ol' 4-inch nickel Model 19.

[​IMG]

Thrasher36 likes this.
  17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 1, 2017

Along the way I've owned every model of a S&W 66 (2 1/2, 4, 6 and 8 3/8) I offed the 8 3/8 when I quit deer hunting in PA. The 4" was my wife's until she gave it to our oldest daughter. I gave my 2 1/2 to our youngest daughter and I still have the 6" version. It's great for the rabid raccoons that want to fool with my dogs ;)

noelekal likes this.
  18. Wryfox Aug 2, 2017

Yes! I also think the 57 is a perfect camp gun. 41 mag is ideal, much heavier than 357, but not as pounding as a 44.

Not often seen even though they were made for 30years(1964-1993). This one is from 1975.

SW 57-1.JPG

Thrasher36 and noelekal like this.
  19. Wryfox Aug 2, 2017

For about ten years I built custom 1911s, from late 80s to late 90s. It was a hobby that took entirely too much time. I can tell you from experience it is an intense and highly skilled process. I happened to be catching up on my 1911s over the weekend and choosing one to take shooting, and I thought well well I still have two I built. Over the past 20yrs I've sold off all but these two, and as it turns out they are the first one I ever built and the last one.

The first one is representative of late 80s competitive styling. It was built for function, and unfortunately the barrel lug failed after about 3000rds (my fault for not timing it properly). When that failed I called Wilson Combat for a replacement barrel and told them my story on it....believe it or not they offered to replace it for free even though I admitted it was my fault. Now this was 20yrs ago so I can't speak for customer service today but I can tell you I am a die hard supporter of Wilson Combat parts to this day. This is still the only Wilson part that has ever failed me. The condition on barrel replacement was that a licensed gunsmith install it, and they did not even require that they do it(although they would have) but they could recommend a short list of gunsmiths who could. Ended up sending it to Carter Custom and he did the barrel work, tightened up the slide/frame and also hard chromed the entire pistol. As it turns out, a couple years later I participated in the Springfield Challenge in Memphis (shot alongside Rob Leatham - 30 time USPSA/IPSC national champion...I also had lunch with him, very cool). Anyway, Ross Carter(of Carter Custom) was there and I was able to talk to him about gunsmithing..wow what an encyclopedia. He was unable to shoot because he was injured from a shop fire that burned his arms and he was still wrapped up from it but traveled to the event anyway...wow again.

Pardon the crappy pics, these are inventory photos, nothing fancy.
    Carter Custom Colt.jpg

This next pic is the last I ever built. Its a sweetheart shooter. Kept it because it truly was the best I ever made. In fact, I just carved the grips for it about three years ago(replacing old cocobolo grips). BTW, Caspian is a maker of slides and frames for custom builders. I think it looks nice, eh?
    CASPIAN CUSTOM-1.JPG

20. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 2, 2017

Fun narrative, Wryfox, on your experience working on and customizing the 1911 gun. Despite selling off most, do you still like the 1911?

What is the material you used to carve those grips, mother-of-pearl? That's something!

I can detail strip and work on the 1911, however I never went down the road of customization. I feel downright decadent for having put more visible sights on a '67 Government Model I have and a pair of custom order Altamont grips with added Delta Elite medallions installed on the Colt Delta Elite. I generally keep things completely stock.