Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 18, 2020

Yes, quite well thank you. Rotator cuff tear, full thickness it was. Tendons were screwed back to bone, clavicle was reshaped, shredded cartilage was cleaned up, and some arthritis removed that I didn't even know I had. Two and a half months out I have days when its inflammed (probably from sleeping on it crooked), but when inflammation is down I can just now lift a K-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver or Colt Government Model to eye level for aiming one handed without too much pain. I'm not ready for NRA precision pistol matches yet, but am getting there.

Waltesefalcon and Wryfox like this.
  2. Waltesefalcon Dec 19, 2020

Keep getting better, recovery can be a pain. I shattered my left heel and ankle this past summer and after two surgeries am still recovering. It's amazing how much a bum foot can throw off your shooting. I won't be ready for bullseye matches for probably another six months.

noelekal likes this.
  3. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 19, 2020

Anyone here shoot Duck Pins?

4. Waltesefalcon Dec 19, 2020

I didn't know they still made duck pins, I thought ten pins were all that was around anymore.

MikiJ and voere like this.
  5. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 20, 2020

Mix Master
    Mix Master

I owned this mix master for about 25 years. I never did anything to the 1911 other than remove the original grips and install the grips as seen in the pictures. When I purchased the 1911 someone over polished the 1911. The billboard lines wavy. That always bugged me so tonight I Had some spare time and straightened up the side of the slide. For now, it’s livable When I have the time to do the refinish properly, I may just send it to the refinisher and let him do the work. First picture the slide is just about in the white after lapping the sides of the slide 2nd picture I went over the slide half Ass with some cold blue for now I can live with it. The lines are straight.

20201219_231839.jpg 20201220_002620.jpg
  6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 20, 2020

Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. My right shoulder is jacked up my tendons are screwed up but getting better as time goes on I do a lot of heavy lifting at work from time to time I get pains in my shoulder Nothing major but it can hurt another few months I should be as good as before

7. Professor Dec 20, 2020

The GHD Cartouche stands for Col. Guy H. Drewry , Ordnance Inspector, 1942 to 1945. So that looks to be a WW2 production 1911A1, or an earlier made pistol refurbished for WW2.
    Many refurbed WW1 1911 pistols converted to 1911A1 standards were called the "Black Army" pistols due to a process where roughly parkerised guns were then blued without polishing away the old finish, resulting in a matt black appearance. I suspect such a finish would be laborious to remove, resulting in the wavy look of the pistol when you first got it.

voere and Waltesefalcon like this.
  8. 64Wing Dec 20, 2020

Must be the season for shoulder work. My dad just had spurs removed, torn cuff repaired, and a slight bicep tear. His pain pump ran out at 5 this morning. He doesn't want to take the oxy (I don't blame him). The doc said his bone density is off the charts, which is great for 59yo. His sister works at the facility in scheduling and got him in a gap in the schedule. If that's not cool enough, that sister's son-in-law represents the medical device company that manufactured the artificial anchors. So he was in the OR with dad to oversee the installation. Must be a comfort to have family in there, especially such a presence as this young man. A real solid dude.

Anyway, that's the third surgery this year for dad: a hip replacement (had the other one done a couple years ago), a quadruple hernia repair (ouch), and now the shoulder. Insurance company spent lots on him this year. But by golly that's the whole point. He's been enduring these injuries for months and even years with the shoulder and hips. So happy that he has been able to get these things done. He's always been an iron man with incredible pain tolerance. Always in great shape (gymnast, tennis player, etc.).

Anyhow, just a thread of commonality with your situation. We wish you continuation of a successful recovery, comfort, and full function in the aftermath of your procedure.

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 20, 2020

Only a few duck pins left in my area. I guess we shot them all up :)

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  10. Aquariusmatic Dec 20, 2020

Anything new on the Concealed Carry part of the market? I've stopped following stuff gun related for almost a year and am wanting to purchase a new CCW for daily usage.
    I'd be happy to take a few suggestions and opinions into consideration.
    Thanks!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 20, 2020

Hoping you are back to full fitness soon. I had this done in 2004, only a partial tear so not as bad as you, but I have a form of arthritis that isn't from age of wear and tear, so they did a lot of bone removal, etc. due to that. I had a nerve block done, and I felt great right after the surgery, but a number of hours later when that wore off, it wasn't fun...still have the pictures they took while doing it somewhere...

Keep up with the physio!

noelekal likes this.
  12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 20, 2020

I think you're a bit younger than I am Archer and you certainly were 16 years ago. Did you fully recover from your surgery to the point you still could pursue archery and tennis? Do you have any residual shoulder limitations?

Yes! Therapy is where it's at! I continue to be faithful with cardio after bypass surgery three years ago. Cardio-therapy carried me through in fine style. I anticipate whipping this thing with physiotherapy.

Just for fun, here are pitiful photos of attempts to shoot .22 pistols 11 days out from quadruple bypass surgery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't hit squat and pooped out just riding the short distance to the club range. All better now.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 20, 2020

Well, I was diagnosed with a type of arthritis when I was just 21, so yes I'm younger than you for sure, but there are days when I'm sure I feel older. The shoulder is good, as long as I'm not being a total goof. In other words, my former 80 MPH fastball is more like 8 these days.

Unfortunately the time taken in recovery from the surgery lead to the arthritis in my neck getting much worse from lack of doing what I was doing before the surgery (inactivity lead to fusing of joints in my neck), so that surgery ultimately resulted in the end of my archery career, but indirectly.

I wasn't actually playing tennis at the time, so I could tell you that I might have been on my way to Wimbledon, and after the surgery I'm just a hack, but I guess we'll never know! ;)

I actually started playing tennis seriously after I had the heart attack a little over 6 years ago now...time flies!

Pazzo, Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  14. whitewolf777 Dec 20, 2020

It is nice to see such a thread. I am as passionate about shooting as I am about watches. I tend to focus on handgun precision or speed shooting at 25m.
    CZ Shadow2, Les Baer Premier II and Sig p210 are my favorites.

Wryfox, Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  15. Waltesefalcon Dec 20, 2020

Turns out my son has the same tastes in handguns I do. At top is my older Uberti SAA and below is Matthew's shiny new Pietta SAA.

20201220_134552.jpg
    Thrasher36, voere and noelekal like this.
  16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 22, 2020

Holsters with Talon clip

Love or hate?

I like the talon clip holsters for some handguns. Wearing jeans or pants with a heavy waist band the talon clip works great No need for a holster belt since the talon clip is attached to the waist band. A belt just pulls the rig into your body. For smaller sized handguns the talon clip works well for myself. I just finished cleaning up the holster in the picture the clean up was long overdue.

Any thoughts?

20201222_032147.jpg
  17. Wryfox Dec 22, 2020

I met Les at the Shot Show in 2010, quite a surly fellow but knew his stuff.

Have wanted a Baer for years and finally got one recently...Baer Ultimate Master Combat...like a laser.
    20191007_094704.jpg

18. Wryfox Dec 22, 2020

Say, I don't know if I've posted this before but cleaning the safe I came across an old one I used to shoot in the late 90s, and handloaded for it too.

Springfield V-16 Long Slide 45 Super

V-16 for 16 vented ports on the slide. 45 Super is like a 45ACP on steroids. Same size case but more stoutly made(stronger base web, etc), so you can shoot 45ACP all you want. I used to load 240g to 1000fps+...it ate it up. Very smooth push back, and zero muzzle rise.
    20181018_131329.jpg 20181018_131359.jpg

Thrasher36, 64Wing, lindo and 4 others like this.
  19. maximilian g Dec 22, 2020

When silencers/suppresors/moderators were registered 1st at the patent office they were listed as "silencers"so even though they do not silence, that is the correct name for them.

20. whitewolf777 Dec 22, 2020

That is a beauty. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Wryfox likes this.