Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. Zapatta Nov 17, 2020

You mean "tropical" :D

noelekal, Wryfox and alam like this.
  2. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Nov 17, 2020

I'd say beautiful :)

noelekal likes this.
  3. Zapatta Nov 17, 2020

Where I'm from you can only buy AK-47's and Škorpion vz. 61's and they are illegal. Wish I could live in US and be cool like @noelekal , wearing Connie and Colt revolver :unsure:

Waltesefalcon, Wryfox and noelekal like this.
  4. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 17, 2020

Well Zapatta, I'd prefer you were here enjoying American liberty rather than some of our own citizens who have no regard for liberty and and don't appreciate what they have.

warrydog, 64Wing and Zapatta like this.
  5. Zapatta Nov 17, 2020

We Eastern Europeans realize importance of 2nd Amendment. Even in recent history my fellow citizens were left defenseless against government and went to war barehanded. Luckily we won! Don't get me started with crime rates skyrocketing in Europe..

6. 64Wing Nov 17, 2020

We seem to be in similar spirits, my friend...

Zapatta and noelekal like this.
  7. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 17, 2020

We have one of our glorious gunshows coming up in a couple weeks. Unless it is canceled at the last minute, I will bring a homeless firearm back to the hacienda. Price points should prove interesting. Getting into the show could be problematic also. I expect a horde and if they restrict the number in the place....may not even get in.

noelekal and 64Wing like this.
  8. 64Wing Nov 17, 2020

Do keep us abreast. I'd be curious to know what you experience in addition to what you may acquire.

9. Pazzo Nov 17, 2020

Indeed it is!

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 17, 2020

I've long helped out some promoter friends of mine by doing their overnight gun show security in this region. One would think that it would continue to be a sellers' market, but you never know when there might be a "real deal," especially on a collectible firearm that the younger generation has no use for in their quest for the latest tactical toy.

Will be doing a show this weekend. First one since February. It will be interesting.

[​IMG]

voere, The Father and Zapatta like this.
  11. offrdmania Nov 17, 2020

I carry this one every day :)

[​IMG]

noelekal, scv55, voere and 5 others like this.
  12. 64Wing Nov 18, 2020

These are fun to shoot!

noelekal likes this.
  13. Waltesefalcon Nov 18, 2020

That is an absolutely amazing find. Congratulations.

Professor likes this.
  14. Waltesefalcon Nov 18, 2020

Noelekal, I forgot to report on the Luger, it is a fine shooting old gun. I had a few feeding issues at first but found that the problem was I was not getting the magazine locked home tightly enough. It'd catch but only lightly and the bolt wouldn't catch enough of the casing to properly feed the round in the chamber. I found that if I insert the magazine with some authority it feeds just fine. The gun feels good in the hand, it doesn't point quite as intuitively as a 1911 for me, but it definitely reminded me of my old Ruger Standard in the way it feels and points. I was honestly surprised that it wasn't any more accurate than it was though, 2" groups at fifteen yards. You hear stories about these old guns that make them seem almost mystical, but shooting them you find out that they are just a neat old military side arm. The .30 Luger itself is a sweet shooting round with little recoil. You could shoot it all day without fatigue. Next step will be reloading.

64Wing and noelekal like this.
  15. Waltesefalcon Nov 18, 2020

I don't believe I posted anything about my new gun leather. I ordered this Tom Threepersons holster and cartridge slides way back in May from El Paso Saddlery and it finally came in. It's for my large framed Colts, the New Services and the M1917. The gun pictured with it is my 1914 New Serivice in .45 Colt. I do have the original hard rubber stocks for it but keep them put away as one has a crack in it.

20201012_132354.jpg 20201012_132405.jpg
    voere and noelekal like this.
  16. Professor Nov 18, 2020

Try several different brands of ammunition. The old girl may still have some surprises left in her.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  17. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 18, 2020

OOOooo... Waltesefalcon. Love that holster. I like the Tom Threepersons design which is one of the best for revolvers in my opinion. I also like big ol' Colt New Service revolvers which are stately, elegant, and rugged and chamber cartridges that will accomplish most every chore one could reasonably ask of a handgun.

Here's an older S. D. Myres Threepersons holster kept around here with a 4-inch K-Frame Smith & Wesson Military & Police revolver from the 1950s in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of new custom holster orders, late last week I took delivery on a new holster and double magazine pouch I ordered for a 1911 back in late February.

It's a Barranti Leather Company's Ranger model. It's a rendition of the famous and most excellent Brill holsters. I couldn't resist going for some tooling. https://barrantileather.com/

[​IMG]

It'l serve to remove my threats to wear a 70 plus year old Brill beneath a covering garment. The Brill is still sturdy, but too collectible to put to regular work.

[​IMG]

18. 64Wing Nov 18, 2020

noelekal likes this.
  19. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Nov 18, 2020

Thanks Waltesefalcon for the report. Wonder if the catch or the magazine could use a little help to be put right. Sounds like the slightest hint of wear doesn't it? Never fired a .30 Luger and think it'd be a treat. Did you find the trigger to be spongy? Seems a Luger characteristic.

Couldn't find it this evening, but somewhere I have a photograph of the Luger I have with a Glock 17. Grip angle's the same. I'm more familiar with the 1911 so would have to agree with you on the pointing characteristics of the Luger.

I have a VoPo Luger, not nearly as fine a collectible as yours is. It's chambered for 9mm, is a shooter and gives one a sense of what the Luger is about. I've had it for many years. It was purchased from one of the wholesale advertisers in the old "Shotgun News" for $229 so that will tell you how long ago.

About a decade ago, a fellow member on a private firearms forum I frequent offered a fun forum match where participants were to shoot a 9mm pistol at 50 yards and 100 yards from a rest for a prize. All we had to do was shoot the targets and photograph the effort. Not too many members bothered to participate so I won. Prize was one of the Nagant revolvers M1895 revolvers that flooded the market about that time. He'd gathered up a bunch of them. Still have the Nagent. What a piece of work it is.

Of the 9mms on hand I used the Luger. The 50 yard group wasn't great. Hah! The 100 yard group was only 1/2 inch larger in diameter than the 50 yard group was. I can't figure out how that happened. Crummy 50 yard shooting presumably.

The 50 yard group measured 11 inches.
    [​IMG]

The 100 yard group measured 11 1/2 inches
    [​IMG]

As a bit of humor I told the forum that I shot it with Baron von Richthofen's personal Luger. I had snipped a piece of a Red Baron pizza box label and attached it to the pistol.
    [​IMG]

voere, Professor, Zapatta and 4 others like this.
  20. Rodentman Nov 19, 2020

This is a Boberg XR45 which is really cool. You can read about it here.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/29/the-boberg-xr45-s-semi-auto-pistol/

Boberg sold out to Bond Arms which makes this design in 9mm. Not sure if they will do 45acp. It's ammo finicky as it yanks the round backwards to feed into the barrel. Poorly crimped ammo will separate yielding a mess of powder and a loose bullet. I set my dies for a good crimp. I have a 4.2" bbl for it. I solved the requirement for special lube by having the relevant parts NP3 coated by Robar in Phoenix. They are closed now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]