Forums Latest Members
  1. sah Oct 1, 2018

I have a 1 year old Seamaster Professional Diver ceramic that is one year old. Runs well and is my everyday watch. On those rare occaisionals I go 3 or 4 days without it, I like to start it with a manual wind with the crown in position 1. I wind it clockwise when looking down on the crown, but notice a mild grinding resistance. I wonder if position one is not far enough out from the crown's screw down threads. It turns smoothly counterclockwise, but I believe that direction does nothing to wind the mainspring. With a little more pull out to the crown, but not to position 2 for date change, the resistance is less. I do not recall this when first purchased, but I have rarely had to manually wind it. Seems like it may need to get checked while on warranty.
    My question is, Is the normal clockwise wind for position one smooth and without any grind sensation?
    20180828_092835.jpg

2. Eve Oct 15, 2018

Hallo @sah,
    i noticed the same issue with my Seamaster Diver 300m reference 212.30.41.20.01.002.
    The manual wind on this watch was allways very smooth, you could hardly feel any resistance. Exact same feeling like on my 2254.50, also very smooth.

However, since 1 month, after the complete Service by Omega, i feel the same grinding feeling during manual wind, just like you described it. It just doesnt feel right, since this smooth windind on SMP is very prominent feature.

Can somebody please comment on this? is it normal? will it eventually disappear on its own?
    the watch is only 1 month in use and have been worn only a couple of times.
    i still have like 23 Months warranty on this Service, would you advice looking to the watchmaker?

Best regards!
    IMG_20181013_114205.jpg

Edited Oct 15, 2018
    sah likes this.
  3. sah Oct 15, 2018

Thanks for your reply. It feels like either the crown is not out far enough to clear the screw down threads, or there may be a burr on the outer edge of the threaded tube. It would be nice to know if this will self correct, or if it needs to be sent in. I do not know.

4. Eve Oct 16, 2018

My crown is definetely out far enouth to clear the screw down thread. It feels like there is something on the inside that is scratching/grinding.
    I am picking my other watch today from the watchmaker. I will ask him what he thinks about this.
    I obviously tried to google this, and i found a few threads where people notice this issue. However i still didnt find any clear answer.
    To me personaly i would not get too paranoid about this thing, since i am not handwinding my watch too often, but it is still interesting to know if it is something completely common or if there could be an issue later on?
    I have held and wound at least 5 different SMPs in the past few months, and this is the first watch that has this feel. And it manifested directly after the Full Service.

sah likes this.
  5. sah Oct 16, 2018

I look forward to see what the watchmaker says.

6. albertob Oct 16, 2018

Hi all,

I own a model from 2014.
    I had a crown failure and I can recall I had similar problems before the crown failure.

I brought it to the AD for a full service. The watch is now perfect.

I assume it is a problem due to wear.

Alberto

sah likes this.
  7. Eve Oct 16, 2018

So, i had both SMPs (2500c and 1120) in the shop (one on my wrist and one which i picked up). I told him that the winding feeling on these two watches feels different after the service, while on my 1120 it feels very smooth, on the 2500 i feel some grinding.
    His first answer was: "well this one is Coaxial and the other one is not" :) Great!
    so i asked him, how come the manual winding is influenced by the escapement? He told me that it doesnt...
    So i asked him to try it himself if he feels any difference. and he told me that he can not feel anything unusual. Thats it.
    I guess i am paranoid.. i give up.. :)

8. Eve Oct 16, 2018

Could you please describe how your "crown failure" manifest? thanks!

9. sah Oct 16, 2018

I have 3 more years on my warranty which will be about time to get serviced. I will likely live with it until then.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 16, 2018

All the movement parts that are involved in manual winding are literally identical between the 1120 and 2500. In fact they are all 1120 parts...

albertob likes this.
  11. sah Oct 16, 2018

Thanks Archer. Any thoughts on what might cause the rough feel to the manual wind?

12. Eve Oct 17, 2018

Exactly. There is no way he doesnt know it as well. I guess he just didnt want to bother with me and get into details, since probably the majority of the customers dont even know what an escapement is.

The weird thing is, today i did manual wind the watch again and it was smooth as usual.. I guess i will just observe how it behaves with time.

Edited Oct 17, 2018
  13. albertob Oct 17, 2018

Eve likes this.
  14. Eve Oct 17, 2018

albertob likes this.
  15. mikael.mj Oct 21, 2019

@Eve Did your watch come back to normal smoothness again when winding it? Just recently experienced the same as you described and it worries me a bit...

16. Eve Oct 21, 2019

Hallo @mikael.mj,
    no the watch never came back to the same smoothness after few months. However i sold the watch last year.
    I would not worry about it though, i dont think its anything wrong with the watch, now when i hand wind my 2254 that felt very smooth about a year ago, i also feel some kind of similar effect. So i think its normal. Its an automatic movement anyway, so i hardly ever manualy wind it, and it doenst bother me at all! Recently i thought that maybe its the mainspring inside the barrel. Honestly i dont know what it is, but it doesnt seem to cause any issues :)

mikael.mj likes this.
  17. mikael.mj Nov 6, 2019

18. sean2k Nov 9, 2019

Hey this is a funny story I have the same thing with my 2019 300m seamaster and been back omega twice and they have said it hast a fault on the watch at all they have written a letter to me saying it normal as some calibabres have a different noises when winding it up hope this helps