Forums Latest Members
  1. Smp300blue Nov 23, 2019

hi
    Another rooky question from me

The last couple of days ive started to measure my seamasters accuracy.
    Ive found that it seems to loose 2,5-3 seconds each 24h. Is this normal?

This has been measured when the watch has been in use if thats got something to say.

2. AntonisCy Nov 23, 2019

Depends on which side you rest it when it's off your wrist at night i guess... Have you tried various positions?

Smp300blue likes this.
  3. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 23, 2019

4. Smp300blue Nov 23, 2019

I tend to lay it on the side at night. I can try to rest it flat perhaps

5. Smp300blue Nov 23, 2019

Gav1967 likes this.
  6. Faz Nov 23, 2019

Well within Chronometer tolerance (-4 +6 seconds/day).

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 23, 2019

That's not exactly what it refers to, but most watchmakers will prefer you gain a little each day rather than lose a little each day. Better to be early than late.

If you asked at the retailer or your favorite watchmaker for that adjustment they'd likely do it for free. Mine does, in any event.

Tom

8. Faz Nov 23, 2019

Of course, after a full month, you'll be a whopping minute late...

9. Faz Nov 23, 2019

I think I have some level of understanding.

I just wanted to express in simple terms, performance is measured in various positions and temperatures. The results must observe a certain tolerance of precision. Basically, it mimics everyday life on the wrist of the average human. The chronometer must achieve a high level of precision under more extreme but similar conditions. The performance of the OPs watch, at first glance, seem to fall into that category.

I still marvel at the fact that many expect Quartz like precision from their mechanical watches, especially expensive ones. The OPs watch performs almost perfectly. What's the concern?

10. Smp300blue Nov 23, 2019

I do not expect quartz performance, I just want to know if it functions as it should. I will try to leave the watch flat when not in use.

11. Canuck Nov 23, 2019

My 50 year old Rolex Air-King Perpetual date non-chronometer keeps close to the same degree of accuracy. I’d be disappointed with up to 3 seconds per day error, as well.

12. Bimmerman77 Nov 23, 2019

My 8800 smp was gaining .5 to 2 sec a day for a year. Then out of the blue it started looking 5 to 10 sec a day. I sent it in, and Omega didn’t say exactly what was wrong with it, just that it was out of spec. 4 weeks later got it back with a bunch of tiny parts in a bag. Now it’s about 4 sec fast a day. I wish I knew what caused it to be out of spec though.

Smp300blue likes this.
  13. Faz Nov 23, 2019

Well, that's the million dollar question. How should it perform? IMO, If its a modern chronometer, then it should keep consistent"chronometer specification" time in most positions and temperatures. Some non chronometer watches will perform flawlessly to within a second when worn, then gain 20 secs overnight when laid flat and so on and so forth as my $200.00 Seiko for example. Both my Sub and GMT are a few seconds fast per day regardless of them being worn, laid down, cold, hot etc....

Some would argue that if its on the slow side of the spectrum, then its performance is not up to snuff even if it falls within chronometer parameters. All very subjective. We all have different expectations as @Canuck was saying.

14. Bimmerman77 Nov 23, 2019

That’s the issue I was having. Just out of the blue after a year it began running as much as 15 sec slow regardless of position or being worn. I slapped it on the timegrapher, and it showed slow in all 6 positions, and the beat rate was all over the place. Watch was never knocked or anything, actually only worn once a week or so bc I usually wear my sub or Batman. My sub has been consistent at .6 sec fast a day for 5 years.

15. Faz Nov 23, 2019

You mean a year after bought new? If that's the case, very bizarre indeed.

16. Bimmerman77 Nov 23, 2019

Yes almost exactly one year after purchasing it new from my AD. I had one of the first releases in the US, and it was great until it wasn’t. Just got it back from Omega last week. They didn’t tell me what was wrong, just that it was “out of spec”

17. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 23, 2019

That is a sign of magnetism. You'd think they'd demagnetize it first. But I suppose it was under warranty.

As I mentioned before, losing 2 seconds a day is pretty darn close, but it's still losing.

Tom

18. Bimmerman77 Nov 23, 2019

No it wasn’t magnetized. I tested it myself as well as omega. They replaced a bunch of parts and sent them back to me.

19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Nov 23, 2019

Interesting. For those reading, it's still the first thing to suspect.

Tom

Bimmerman77 likes this.
  20. Bimmerman77 Nov 23, 2019

I thought so as well. So I used a compass and a magnetizing app. Both showed negative. I wish omega would have told me what was wrong with it besides sending me a bag full of parts lol